The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 04:57

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2013, 19:26 

Hi guys,

I would just like to informally greet my fellow Airmen (Soon to be CO's) and wish all the best for their future in the SAAF. Unfortunately I would not be able to continue on course with you guys due to medical reasons. The ear problem that I got during basics worsened over the holidays and it turned out I have permanently lost more than 60% hearing in my right ear... I failed the ear tests miserably and because of that I wont be allowed to ever fly in the SAAF.

I was offered to change my mustering but I declined. It was a heartbreaking decision but I knew that I wont be able to sit on the ground looking up to you, thinking of what could have been. I gave in my resignation statement on the 7th and I applied for unpaid leave. Its better that way, it would've eaten me from the inside just sitting there hopelessly watching you on course for the next 3 months.

You will all be in my thoughts and in my heart we will still be comrades.

Good luck with your careers in the SAAF. Always remember that you are one of the lucky few, and that a lot of us wish we could be in your shoes.

Make the most of every opportunity you get!

JP
Niela
Marko
Hans
Gemmerkat
Kabous
Armand
Andre
Bandrag
Theo
Blom
Gouws
Ryan
Kevin
Prinsloo
Matlala
Baloyi
Siphelele
Thobakgale
Kgabaleng
Maake
Sipho
Radasi
Mpampa
Tshifiwe
Prince
Muruti
Daniels
Nicola
Brown
Ndou
Letcher
Van Dyk,

We meet to part and we part to meet.

All of the best,
Jaco Koekemoer

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2013, 20:01 

Jakes thanks vir alles maat!! Ons gaan jou mis!! Ek weet dit was nie 'n maklike besluit vir jou gewees nie en kon ook nie lekker gewees het om dit te maak nie! Baie sterkte vorentoe en hoop om jou daar in die kaap te sien een van die dae! Keep in touch!!

Kobus!

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2013, 20:31 

Ai Jaco! Sorry to hear buddy. Today while I was surfing some sites to see if I could get some pics of AFB Langebaanweg's main gate for the other Jakes on this site I happened to come across your blog and I was irritated because you haven't updated it since May 2012 IIRC. And I thought that I would try to contact you tomorrow to find out how your dream panned out. I wasn't aware at the time that you were a member here! And now this!

Boeta, my hart breek vir jou. Ek weet hoe jy voel, maar God het altyd 'n plan! Byt vas ou seun!

Sometimes life throws us a few curve balls, but even curve balls can be hit for six. From what I picked up on your blog you have a real passion for flying and I truely respect that. I can certainly understand why you decided to resign. But mark my words, you will arise from this set back!

Best of luck, and don't be a stranger on the forums!

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2013, 20:50 

I'm sorry to hear that man! :( :(

Keep your chin up and remember when one door closes another one opens, even if its not into a cockpit...

Go out and make a success! You have the right attitude to make a difference

All the best for your future plans

Keep dreaming big!

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2013, 07:19 
Site Admin

Jaco, as discussed in our previous conversations, there is a very big positive coming out of this, which I hope will make leaving the SAAF easier to bear.

Wishing you all the best and you're always welcome here. :smt023

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2013, 13:16 

Sorry bud. That's hard to hear. Know how much you wanted it.

How was basics? Did Sgt Zwane give it you guys? Haha.

All the best for the future.

Cheers,
Michael

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2013, 16:33 

Hy Jaco i'm so sorry man i know the feeling especially if is something you love man i wish i could do something to make a difference in your life all i can say is that hang on there man god will make a plan d'nt worry man .

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2013, 21:28 

So what are you gonna do now?

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2013, 16:54 

Wow!

Was just looking through post and saw yours for the first time.

Hope you are doing well! :smt023

Brown

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2013, 18:20 

Wow, sorry to say this, but it's probably a good thing that you aren't a member in the SAAF anymore considering the state of the SANDF.

It's funny how things work out sometimes.

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2013, 22:39 

ZeroNiner wrote:
Wow, sorry to say this, but it's probably a good thing that you aren't a member in the SAAF anymore considering the state of the SANDF.

The SANDF has monetary problem a issue that could be solved next year

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2013, 22:58 

sob wrote:
ZeroNiner wrote:

You wish! Do really believe that more money will address the issues of mismanagement, poor planning and incompetence?

Just more money available to squander and thieve and use to play VVIP taxi! Gmpf! Monetary issue, my arse!

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2013, 23:21 

iamsam wrote:
sob wrote:
ZeroNiner wrote:

You wish! Do really believe that more money will address the issues of mismanagement, poor planning and incompetence?

Just more money available to squander and thieve and use to play VVIP taxi! Gmpf! Monetary issue, my arse!

yes i do, the problems with SAAF is not incopted people in SAAF, but government underfunding them.

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2013, 23:26 

Well then; government mismanagement, poor planning and incompetence. Either way more money won't solve this problem.

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2013, 23:40 

iamsam wrote:
Well then; government mismanagement, poor planning and incompetence. Either way more money won't solve this problem.

government mismanagement, poor planning and incompetence has been to give the SAAF tasks and then not provide the necessary resources (money) to achieve those tasks. It is like trying to drive but not not putting enough fuel in the tank your car (SAAF) is now unable to achieve the task so fails to get there next trip(next financial year) to avoid this mistake you(goverment) make sure your car (SAAF) has enough fuel(money) to make the trip(achieve all the goals of SAAF)

basically it was not allocated enough money, it asked for more but was not given enough, now it can is doing the best with what it has.