The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 04 May 2024, 18:07

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Selection Next week
PostPosted: 17 Aug 2012, 15:26 

Hey guys, new to the forum. Been following it for a while though,

its time for me to ask for advice now, i am attending selection next week at 7am on Wednesday the 22nd at Thaba Tshwane,
i have a few questions, and would greatly appreciate any advice/answers you can help me with.

1) Do i just arrive at the thaba tshwane entrance gate and inform the guards im here for selection?
2) What is the street name of the entrance i need to use at Thaba Tshwane?
3) Ive been informed i need to dress Smart Casual/ and take my CV/ copy of Matric Certificate/ ID and take a pen and pencil, is that all that i need ? no PT clothes?
4) im abit worried as anyone would be with a written test, about the psychometric test, is there any revision i need to do ? SANDF's past? information on current affairs? ( not asking for questions or answers, just want some advice on pre-test studying :D
5) for the interview , what not to say? :)
6) what do they check exactly in the Medical?
7) How long is selection ? The Whole day? or does it depend on the day ect.?
8: will they allow me through the gates before 7am? or should i just be punctual and arrive at 7am
9) how long after selection do they let you know that you have passed and will be starting training in January? Same Day? Couple Weeks later?
I applied for the Army for combat mustering with interest in Infantry, Its what i want to do :)

Any Information would be amazingly appreciated as im quite nervous about this, and would like for nothing more then to be able to know i did my best on the day :)

Post subject: Re: Selection Next week
PostPosted: 17 Aug 2012, 17:43 

welcome to the forum.

what selections have you been called for? (i.e pilot/navigator or apprenticeship selections?)

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2012, 17:51 

I applied for just General MSDS applicant for the army with combat mustery, going for infantry. I hope it answers the question

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2012, 14:36 

ah does no1 have information for me :/ I know its for the Army and not the SAAF, perhaps just getting some info like the name of the street that has the entrance i need to use

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2012, 16:26 

I would be lying if I can say I know anything about Army Selections. Thought you were asking about Air Force selections.

Try searching for Army forums, maybe you might get some info there.

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2012, 16:44 

Thanks, could you recommend any forums if you know of any? as i have tried searching and have had no success, that is why i used this site :)

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2012, 01:44 

iTR_za...

I'm not sure about army selection but I went for my selection (Air Force) at thaba tshwane as well. All I know is that for the medical you need to go to the CHA center. The psychometric test should be at the same venue. The easiest way to get to the CHA center is to take Voortrekker road past the monument and just before you get to the exaro building (you will see it, massive white building with the name in plain view) you turn left at the robot into van Riebeeck road. You will go through one or two military checkpoints and past 1 mil hospital, they shouldn't stop you because you have civilian number plates. Keep heading straight until you see an engen garage on your left then two old display cannons, also on your left. Directly opposite the cannons is the CHA center (right hand side). Very small sign but if you look for it you will find it.

You cannot really study or prepare for a psychometric test since it is designed to test your natural ability for problem assessment, problem solving etc. Just relax and think clearly and it will not be a problem.

I would suggest you learn the rank structure so you can address the members assessing you according to their rank. It always helps to show that you have a genuine interest and it is a good idea to also know who is the minister of defense, chief of the defense force and the chief of the army in your case.

As for the interview it is quite straight forward. It is a job interview after all and treat it as such!

The medical should last a full day. They test you on most things. Urine test, hearing test, weight, height, body mass index, eyesight, resting pulse, blood pressure, hepatitis and HIV tests. After you have completed those tests, and passed them, you will have a medical examination by a doctor, so you will have to state allergies, medical history beforehand and the doctor will 'inspect' you and then give you a medical fitness rating ie: G1K1 etc.

Our selection was over a few days spaced over a month and DO NOT expect them to get back to you promptly. It will take a while, after all it is the military you are applying for and in the military what you do is 'hurry up and wait'. So don't get frustrated if you don't get any feedback straight away. Someone will contact you eventually.

Hope this helps! Don't get despondent if nothing happens straight away. You will be running and sweating like a headless chicken soon enough. Do yourself a favour and get fit NOW! It will help you more than you can imagine!

Super Puma

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2012, 21:59 

Thanks very much for the info, as for the fitness part , ive been training since January Last year, so i feel im ready :) Going to hopefully get through to someone tomorrow at recruitment to help answer my questions :D

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2015, 19:34 

Hey,I did my selection last month on the 19th at thaba tshwane cha center,I did pshychometric test,medical and interview,I am now waiting for an intake call.does what I did on my selection day guarantee that I am taken for the saaf 2016 january intake? I am jst curious coz I'm realy looking forward to be part of the SAAF as a Fire Fighter.