The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 06:04

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Big Help Needed!!!
PostPosted: 04 Mar 2012, 19:27 

Good Evening to every1!! :)

Im currently a 18year old white male looking to become a pilot
But unfortunately I didnt take science and things like that at school, and took Maths Literature...

Although, I know very much about Aviation/Aircraft/South African Procedures/ etc then the average starting out student...

If you could maybe enlighten my future as a pilot in the South African Airforce, maybe by forwarding me to someone with more power in the SAAF or running me on a basic pilot test or something that can prove my passion of becoming a pilot and my knowledge...

[b]Thank You Very Much!!

Post subject: Re: Big Help Needed!!!
PostPosted: 04 Mar 2012, 21:38 

Hi Forthlock, welcome to the forum!

I doubt it. Second year in your training phase to becoming a pilot requires you to take some good old math and physics and what not university modules, which you wont be able to do if you didnt do GOOD(65%+) in math and science at school.

You can do what I did and show your passion of becoming a pilot in the SAAF by taking a year, maybe two off as gap years and do those 2 school subjects! And they will definitely see your passion through good marks...it sounds crap I know , but it will open a lot of doors for you.

The only way is the hard way.

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2012, 21:55 

Forthlock unfortunately Edz is correct. Without science or maths your path to becoming a Pilot in the SAAF are not looking good. I also suggest taking one or two years off and completing those subjects and get very good marks and then apply for pilot selections. One should always make sure when you have a goal that you have the right subjects.

Good luck with your choice and keep us posted on your path to become a SAAF pilot!

Stoof

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2012, 22:24 

Stoof wrote:
Forthlock unfortunately Edz is correct. Without science or maths your path to becoming a Pilot in the SAAF are not looking good. I also suggest taking one or two years off and completing those subjects and get very good marks and then apply for pilot selections. One should always make sure when you have a goal that you have the right subjects.

Good luck with your choice and keep us posted on your path to become a SAAF pilot!

Stoof

You can take matric level Maths and Science at a FET College, which are found in many cities and larger towns, their fees are very reasonable as they are subsidised institutions.

You could also look into doing a PPL at a nearby flying school.

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2012, 10:05 

Thanks guys :)

The thing is, as u may know from about grade 9/10 you can choose which subjects you take and at that time i wasnt looking
at becoming a Pilot #-o

But when those subjects like Science and stuff were compulsary before Grade 9/10, i did pass with a mark higher than +-65%

Im currently doing my last year, Taking, Maths lit... Do you think i should swap a subject for science or wait til im finished with Matric, to
study that?? and if so what type of science exactly ... Eg. Physical science bla bla bla??

Thanks alot for the help!!! :)
Kind Regards

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2012, 10:30 

If your school would allow you to change subjects in matric, I suggest you change subjects ASAP! But since you missed out on the Physical science work in gr10 and gr11 you are missing a great gap in the work, and then you will be struggling to cope with the matric work.

But if flying is your passion nothing will stand in your way of becoming a pilot.

Good luck!

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2012, 14:35 

Maybe just focus this year on matric and next year you can do math and natural science(i believe thats what they call it). Cause like Stoof said you will need to know the basics in gr 10 and 11 to be able to do them in gr12 and you want to get good marks cause just passing them will help you nothing. Register through a home school to write the end exams for the two subjects and just work hard at them throughout the year, you dont have to write gr10 and gr11 exams - you can go straight to matric.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2012, 15:27 

Hi Forthlock

Trying to swop a subject for science now is just to late.. Without grade 10 and 11 I think you will find it hard to pass matric science. Your best option is to finish the year and then start again at a home school or something. You would need physics to get into the air force.. although taking physical science might be a better option( it includes physics and chemistry) as a know universities only take students who have done physical science... so it may put you in better stead for your second year which is basically first year university stuff done through Stellenbosh university at Saldanha. Edz im not sure about natural sciences... I think you are refering to Biology which is now called life sciences.

Then you would need to redo your maths as well... as maths literacy is almost worthless. I would imagine that for your second year your maths will include basic calculus and logarithms and so forth. With maths lit your are just not going to cope with it..

So if you are really serious find away to do those subjects after matric and re apply.

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2012, 15:08 

Thats perfect :)

Thanks for all the help and advise guys i was really stuck!!

So i guess the conclusion is that after matric, just re-do studying on some higher grade
maths and take physical science??

Thanks Again
Liam Davis

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2012, 19:28 

Forthlock wrote:
Thats perfect :)

Thanks for all the help and advise guys i was really stuck!!

So i guess the conclusion is that after matric, just re-do studying on some higher grade
maths and take physical science??

Thanks Again
Liam Davis

Add a PPL if you have the time and income.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2012, 11:52 

I will try!! :)

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2012, 21:56 

Hey guys,I have the same issue as forthlock...is it possible for me to study physics and maths as I train?

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2012, 23:23 

stiffy wrote:
Hey guys,I have the same issue as forthlock...is it possible for me to study physics and maths as I train?

No, they won't let in unless you already have matric maths and science.
The advice to you is the same as for Forthlock.

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2012, 23:30 

Thanks man :)