The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 17 Jul 2019, 18:43

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: airforce selection
PostPosted: 13 Jan 2012, 16:55 

Hi evryone, iam new to the forums, so iam just hitting a hi there into the mix, anyway, OT, so i went last year Oct/Nov for the airforce apprenticeship selection here in Port Elizabeth, out of the 100 or so who came, i was one of the 16 that made it to day two, after the medicals and having waited 5 hours to attend the interviews that same day, i left with a smile, handed the form that stated what i prefer to do in the airforce (Radartrician), so time goes by and i decide to call the airforce on the numbers provided on the sms i recieved for selection, to fins out how are things going, being very excited of course, anyway, after a day of no answers i finally got through, so i ask whats up, any progress, ect, nope, cant tell me anything, ok cool, i call back just before Christmas and get told, the date for basic has changed from the 10th of Jan to some time in May, that being a kick in the bollocks, i left it, as long as i am in right? well now iam siting a month later, counting down the seconds, wondering and waiting if iam still in, when will i get the call saying iam officially in, so far my life is on stand still waiting for that moment! same can be said for a friend i met at selection, we both made it through tp the end, and we both are waiting....is there anyone who can shine some light on this matter for me please! before i lose my mind!

Post subject: Re: airforce selection
PostPosted: 27 Jan 2012, 20:41 

well, i guess that answers evrything, they went and lost my file, and 11 others who went for the november selection, guess iam not ment to be in the airforce then, or is it just there way of cutting corners!

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2012, 23:42 

If it's really what you want, then apply again and again. :smt023

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2012, 01:07 

easier said than done when ive put my life on hold just for this, after quite a few phone calls, after being verbally confirmed that iam in and made it through, just to hear anout my file, it kinda sets one back, i just want this to be over and done with, with me on the bus to Hoedspruit!

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2012, 15:34 

:( .well its heart breaking not to hear from them after all the hard work at skul then they dnt call or sms to afta three application at the sametime and non of them were selected.i really want this career more than its salary but they keep on letting me down.i called to day to check my application guess what? They said they will call nxt year january 2013 and i applied this year around feb and march 2012 why does this happen to m.or is it because i am turning 19 this year 2012' i got good marks.64 in mathematics,65 in physical science,79 in geography ,61 in english. This was my dream all this years i have waited nd prayed nd this happens .wow lyf iz not fair,you don't get what you want in lyf.wow.sme1 plz cheer me up guys.

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2012, 22:13 

i know the feeling, i applied near the end of 2010, i had for gotten about it untill they sms'd me in november to attend selection at AFB PE, which i passed, i was 1 of the 16 that made it through, out of 120 that arrived, i flew past the medicals and i even had the officers doing the interview in stitched, in a good way ofc, but ya, its so dissapointing having to call them to find out that the Jan deployment has moved to may, only last week or so i found out an exact date, the 13th of May, and finally our files are being looked at, couldnt they have done it earlier? i just hope i get it!

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2012, 21:38 

Kanti, how do you guys do it. I have already mailed three applications this year only, but I haven't heard from them yet. I'm just not cut out for this university life.doing something that's not my first choice.I understand wat doze guys that have put their lives on hold are going through. Sisonke. I just want to see myself at Hoedspruit. For all I care, they can take my salary just aslong as I'm in there. For those who got a feed back, which application method did you use and when did you apply? thanx in advance.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2012, 19:23 

Hy inno, i ask my self the same questions ,hw dd they get there,wht dd they d 2 get da,coz i huv also applied this year but i hvnt received a call or sms nd i huv snd three applications.bt dnt wori myb thy wil cal u,if iz smethng that u really wnt then dnt gve up keep on applyin nd applyin again nd again jst lyk m.try to call them on 0123122665.thanks bra. ironeagle signing out.over..

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2012, 01:10 

Maybe it has something to do with your school marks?

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2012, 10:31 

Thanks a lot katlego. I'll try and call them next week.yho!! Edz, yo scaring me now. So I guess they are only looking 4 straight "A" students........unfortunately I don't fit that bill. I only got two A's and B's, very close ones too. But if they give me that chance I promise to improve.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2012, 11:23 

I'd say they are just looking at your mathematics and physical science, because remember before you even get to your flying phase you're going to have a whole year of university subjects, which includes stuff like calculus and physics. And those are tough subjects. I dont have straight A's and i got an sms, in fact I only have ...2 A's , 3 B's and 2 C's. You can always redo your exams.

Good luck, hope you get an sms soon! :smt023

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2012, 11:46 

Katlego, I hope you don't take offence at my saying this - Improving your English writing skills would probably help your chances quite significantly. SAAF officers all have to do a lot of admin work and it is practically always done in English.

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2012, 14:56 

Thanks Edz, I hope so too. Infact I almost have the same results as yours except, I only got 1 C. when did you apply and have you already gone through the selections?

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2012, 19:23 

Got the sms on 19 January this year, shortly after I faxed through my papers 3 times and made sure they got it. Then another one on the 8Th of February telling me to come for selections which I couldnt go to because its 10 days long away from home and I'm studying at the moment so yeah. Talk to the person on the other end, kindly ask them too go through your papers with you, and make sure everything is there. I'm sending mine through again on Monday or Wednesday , I will let you know what happens.

Good luck!

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2012, 20:35 

Lol, yho.anyways you made a wise decision and Thanx man I would appreciate that a lot. In which university are you studying? Who knows, we might be in the same institution.