The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:08

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Apprenticeship Selection
PostPosted: 26 Oct 2011, 12:03 

Hi Guys

I applied at the beginning of the year for pilot selection and finally heard back that I've been invited to attend apprenticeship selection.

What does this entail?

I'm just finishing a masters degree in engineering. Will this help my selection at all or hinder me since I'm a bit older (25)?

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Michael

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2011, 20:26 

They want you as an engineer rather than a pilot. Your Masters degree would be wasted as a jet jockey.
You are still (just) under the age limit - it is higher for people with degrees than recruits with just a matric.

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2011, 07:34 
Site Admin

Roger the Dodger wrote:
Your Masters degree would be wasted as a jet jockey.

Not necessarily, having an engineering degree is just what is required for a test pilot. :wink:

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2011, 07:56 

Thanks for your responses guys. :smt023

Thing is, I want nothing more than to be a pilot! "Jet jockey" or nothing. :D

I know that SAAF want the best pilots possible, so I would think having a degree would put you at the top of the list?! :?

Do you think it's worthwhile going to the apprenticeship selection and expressing that wish or should I just decline since it'll probably be wasting everyone's time?

Thanks again,
Michael

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2011, 10:05 

Hi Raptor86

Life is a funny old thing - it seldom delivers exactly or precisely what you have in mind. If you decide to give the 'apprentice' selections a go, you need to do so in a positive frame of mind. The fact that you have a degree - a good one - is no guarantee that they will decide to take you even for the apprecticeship. The new RSA also poses obstacles. You will need to show a willingness and a 'can do' attitude in anything you really and desperately want in working life, often having to start at the bottom.

If you do make the grade in qualifying at the apprenticeship selections, at least you have a foot in the door of this 'company' called the SAAF. That is a good start. From there you will get a view of the inside workings of the SAAF, which can lead to further doors opening, like training to become a pilot.

Very few jobs in life come to you on a golden platter - funny old thing this journey called life!

All the best!

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2011, 10:09 

Definitely go for it!
Once you are in, as an engineer, you could apply for pilot training and as Dean said you could end up a "jet jockey" at TFDC - one of the hottest jobs in the entire SANDF! :smt023

At your age you don't have much time to turn down this "offer" and begin the application process all over again from scratch. The cut-off age for graduates is 26.

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2011, 20:28 

Based on my experience i can list the below suggestions to succeed as an apprentice: Inspirational Quotes

1) Understanding where you're at. "I wasn't really exposed to the concept of apprenticeship until about two years into my career. And I had already made some pretty good progress. But once I was exposed to that idea and that people were out there trying to master this craft, this software development, it made me realize, 'Oh, man. I'm just an apprentice.' So having an accurate self-assessment. And you have that but it's too easy to compare yourself to the standard developer out there, the average developer in our industry. And if you do that, you're going to feel a little bit smug. And you're going to feel like you've accomplished something pretty darn quickly. Just by caring, you're already going to be ahead of a lot of different people. But instead, you should be comparing yourself to masters which are people that are out there doing great work and potentially speaking about it or writing books about it. And if that's what you -- if you want to achieve mastery of this craft, that's who you should be comparing yourself to.

2) Find mentors who are ahead of you in the field. "That might not be the luminaries of the field, but people that you can learn from and that are going to be able to give you some guidance about the right ways to approach problems."

3) Find some peers to network with. "Finding kindred spirits is another thing that is really important, I think, for people that are trying to walk this long road to mastery. These are more peers, people that come along with you who you're going to bounce ideas off of each other or you're going to keep each other going through different projects. You might not work with them. For me, I had a kindred spirit who worked at a different company, but we both worked in Chicago. We'd meet once a week over pizza and either pair on things we were more interested in than our job or lament the difficulties of our different organizations."

4) Perpetual learning. "As people in our industry know, our industry changes quickly. The technologies are rapidly evolving. There's fundamentals, so you have to go back and study the classics of our field. There's certain books that are timeless that I think everybody needs to be able to read. Certain computer science fundamentals like compilers and algorithms that maybe you're not going to use everyday, but they're important for stretching your brain. And other things that are a little more people-centric like Peopleware by Demarco and the Psychology of Computer Programming by Weinberg. So educating yourself, perpetual learning." Law of Attraction

5) Setting aside time to practice. "Setting time aside to be able to write software outside the constraints of your day job is important because that's where you're going to be able to learn new techniques and try out new techniques without bringing down your production site because you screwed up or you were too excited about some new design pattern or some new technology, but being able to break these things called breakable toys where you can experiment and learn. And sometimes those things grow into real projects. Linux was a breakable toy a long time ago. Where Linus was just playing around and never thought it would amount to anything, but it turned into something."