The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 06:45

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2010, 23:04 

Guys...I'm a little uncomfortable with what I read earlier from the article on the home page...

Do I understand correctly, that what the SAAF actually tells us, is that they only want black/African pilots, period!? I applied for this year and I feel quite uncomfortable, knowing that I'm not black of skin colour, but I work hard and I'm 100% ahead and passionate to become a SAAF pilot... What chance does a white man have these days anywhere in South Africa...? Apartheid was horrible and black people had the disadvantage, but why all this now and even considering the lowering of educational requirements just to get black people to become pilots...if some fail, tough luck and a great applause to those who get through, well done!! Why don't they just accept the people that works really hard to earn those wings and accept that those who failed just didn't work hard enough or just ain't able to become a SAAF pilot...!?
I'd love to hear your comment and opinions...
Thank you

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2010, 23:52 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
National carrier South African Airways' (SAA's) failure to increase the number of pilots from previously disadvantaged communities over the past 16 years shows that the aviation industry is far from reaching its transformation deadline.

Now the South African Air Force (SAAF) has stepped in to help the country produce more black African pilots. According to last year's figures, 89% of SAA's 789 pilots were white. SAA did not respond to the Mail & Guardian's questions about any improvement that may have occurred since then.

The SAAF now trains black African pilots for two years and releases them to the reserve force. They are then allowed to work for commercial airlines, but are still required to do national service. Major General Lucky Ngema, the air force's chief director of policy and plans, said it took on about 60 trainee pilots every year.

After completing the required training, some are released to the reserve force and the SAAF keeps the number it needs for regular use. If the air force needs SAAF-trained pilots who are employed by commercial airlines, the pilots are released back to the force.

"They are allowed to work with commercial airlines, but serve a certain number of hours with the air force annually. They must find a balance between their job and serving the required hours in the air force," Ngema said. Industry players warn that there will continue to be a shortage of black African pilots as long as there is no direct intervention from government.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hey future pilot.

I believe this is the article you red ? Well the way I understand it is that the SAAF will , aside from the normal 3 year pilot training(one that you are signing up to), they will accept black pilots into a different program, that allows them(the black pilots) to be trained by the air force only for 2 years but then after completion get sent to the reserve force where they will have to fly a certain amount of hours each year for the Air Force but also be able to fly commercially for airlines etc. Only blacks will be allowed into that certain program , the application for pilot/navigator to serve 13 years in the air force will still continue normally.
So basically 2 types of training/programs now:

2 year training. Sent to the reserve force. (Blacks only) | 3 year training. 13 year service. ( Anyone)

I may be wrong but this is how I understand it.

But I wonder how this will affect the normal pilot training? Since there are limited funds will they now accept less pilots for the 13 year service?

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2010, 10:11 

Hi Edz, thanx alot for the reply...

I also have quite the same understanding and I support your question: whether it will have an effect on the normal pilot training? I also think that alot of SAA's white male pilots are close to retiring...meaning that there will be new job opportunities for black South Africans, making it more fair for all races to apply and undergo their training where only the best candidates will be accepted regardless what race you are...

Apart from this topic, I also want to know, the chances for a SAAF applicant to get accepted first time? I often heard of people being accepted atleast after their 2nd or 3rd try... I also heard of applicant that went for selections and passed all their tests but never got their contracts?