The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 20:52

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2013, 14:37 

The Wingman collection http://www.saairforce.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4444 is up for sale. 8) It include the helmets, flight suit, patches ect.
I’ll compile a detailed inventory over the week-end of the display case content. Feel free to pm me if you would like to make me any offers in the mean time. If you want to view a specific item pop me your e-mail address and I’ll gladly take close up photos and mail it to you.
Cheers
Wingman

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2013, 17:30 
Site Admin

Sorry that you're selling the collection, but you have email. [-o<

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2013, 22:34 

Sure is sad to see this - you have a PM

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2013, 16:32 

You have my pm too!I am in PTA every second stater day,will come around and look

That's why it's called the present.

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2013, 18:06 

Hi Rickus,

I tried to send you a reply to your mail but I'm not sure if it went through. Please can you give me a call, 082 8510 446.

Kind Regards,

Brent

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2013, 08:57 

Thanks for all the interest guys. Needless to say but the Flight helmets were the most popular items.
The MKIII is sold and will be on its way to Cape Town today. The white helmet is almost sold. Both sold
The following items are still up for grab:
1 x SAAF Flight suit still in an excellent condition. R550 (I’ll include an original SAAF pilot wing with the deal) The label read: Size RS102, Serial No (I’m not going to release that information here), Date 1990, Clansman – Pietersburg RSA, Flying Suit, Wash and Service in accordance to S.A.A.F instruction LMU 81 Vol 2 Par 19 A 125.
Caps: - Sold
1x Rooivalk (Blue baseball cap with a printed picture of an rooivalk in colour with the word “Rooivalk” printed in red underneath) R200 - Sold
1x Mirage F1 (Blue baseball cap with an yellow and white embroidered picture of an Mirage F1, the word “Mirage F1 and the Denel logo in the background) R200 - sold
1 x Pratt & Whitney (Blue baseball cap with an original Pratt & Whitney badge on the front. R200
These are very rare caps.
1 x Aluminum fin of a Mirage F1 engine intake. R300
1 X plague with the following inscription “NAVAL SINGLE BOFORS MK III MTG REGISTERED NO 53 “ mounted on a piece of wood. These plague was originally affixed to one of the Bofors used by the Navy. R200
Then I have a set of SIX Diecast Airplane Models which Includes:
Matchbox Collectibles Platinum Edition, Lockheed P-38J Lightning "Mama's Boy", #92108.
Matchbox Collectibles Platinum Edition, Chance-Vought F4U-1A Corsair, Pappy Boyington, #92099.
Matchbox Collectibles Platinum Edition, Grumman F6F-5 Hellcat, #92101.
Matchbox Collectibles Platinum Edition, Curtiss P-40E Warhawk, #92107.
Matchbox Collectibles Platinum Edition, North American P-51D Mustang, Rosco C. Brown, Tuskegee Airmen, #92098.
Matchbox Collectibles Platinum Edition, Supermarine Spitfire Mk1a, Captain Brian Lane, RAF, #92106.
This is not SAAF but one of the most valuable items in my possesion which have a resale value. You will see on this site it priced in 2008 already at $1499.99. I’m willing to let them go for R7000.00. They all Include plastic display stands & Certificates of Authenticity. 1:72 scale. Mint in vac-formed tray, in black & grey striped box with a white trade box outer. I don’t want to split them up because this is a great collector item and it is much more worth as sold individually.
Some Interesting Background Information regarding the Matchbox Collectibles Platinum Edition and Matchbox Collectibles 1/72 Scale Diecast Airplane Models:
Mattel launched the Matchbox Collectibles Platinum Edition Series of 1/72 Scale diecast airplane models in 2000. At the time, these planes were only sold through Retail Hobby Companies or Dealers.
Product Packaging was a Black & Silver Box for the Matchbox Collectibles Platinum Edition Series and was shipped in a Outer White Shipping Box.
In 2001, Mattel changed the name slightly to Matchbox Collectibles and changed the product packaging which was now a Window Display Box design.
Along the way, distribution channels opened up to include Mass Market Retailers like Target and the market started seeing these planes more frequently on Online Auction Sites like E-Bay.
In 2003, Mattel decided to release TWO Different Sets of SIX Airplane Models. One release set was for the US Market and the other release set was a Non-US Market version; both were called "Thunder in the Air", but had different paint schemes.
The Six Set Release concept continued in 2001, 2002 and 2003. Then, in 2004, Releases were reduced to Subsets of 3, 2 and 1 model with some releases mixing the 1/72 Scale diecast armor models with the airplane models.
Also, in 2004, someone at Mattel had a really bad idea and changed the Window Box Packaging design. The result was that a customer literally had to destroy the hard plastic packaging by cutting it open with a knife or sharp scissors in order to remove the diecast airplane model from the product box.
2004 was the last year for the Matchbox Collectibles 1/72 Scale diecast airpane product line.
The 1/72 Scale diecast airplane models were ahead of their time from a quality, detail and cost standpoint.
Based upon market information from Matchbox Collectible Groups and Forums, Mattel has no plans in the near future to bring back the Matchbox Collectibles 1/72 Scale diecast armor and airplane model product lines. Mattel has been focused on turning Matchbox around over the past few years by improving on the basics before they will consider new product lines again. In the past, Mattel became too focused on the Hot Wheels brand at the expense of the Matchbox brand.

I'll post some other items later.

Last edited by Wingman on 18 Apr 2013, 13:06, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2013, 09:02 

Sorry...I.ve forgot to add the link to the site I revered to :oops:
http://www.jtscollectibles.com/matchbox-collectibles-platinum-series-display-airplanes-p-401.html

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2013, 10:29 

I am dead keen on the Rooivalk and Mirage baseball caps!! Sent you a PM but no response

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2013, 10:38 

vlamgat16 wrote:
I am dead keen on the Rooivalk and Mirage baseball caps!! Sent you a PM but no response

PM replied :smt023

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2013, 10:44 

Thanks and replied :smt023

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2013, 02:55 

Have PM regarding SAAF flightsuit.