The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 22 Oct 2019, 21:16

All times are UTC + 2 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: 26 Jan 2015, 17:00 
Offline

Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 08:11
Posts: 60
Not much to go on here but Nigerians seem to be looking abroad for help. http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/SANDF-unaware-of-ex-soldiers-in-Nigeria-20150126

Quote:
SANDF unaware of ex-soldiers in Nigeria

2015-01-26 16:39


Johannesburg - The SA National Defence Force on Monday said it was unaware of former South African soldiers being deployed to Nigeria to help destroy terrorist group Boko Haram.

"I do not know where Beeld gets this thing from. Ask them," SANDF spokesperson Siphiwe Dlamini said.

Earlier, Beeld reported that former soldiers of the SA Defence Force were part of a multinational team of private military experts on their way to Nigeria.

The Afrikaans daily reported that this was at the request of the Nigerian government, and that the team of about 100 members would train Nigerian soldiers for a massive defence effort.

The first goal of the soldiers, backed by South African expertise, would be to free the remaining Chibok schoolgirls who were kidnapped by Boko Haram last year.

Clayson Monyela, spokesperson for the department of international relations could not be reached for comment.


- SAPA


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 29 Jan 2015, 10:41 
Offline

Joined: 12 Jun 2011, 14:21
Posts: 2351
Lucky wrote:
http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/SANDF-unaware-of-ex-soldiers-in-Nigeria-20150126
Quote:
SANDF unaware of ex-soldiers in Nigeria

2015-01-26 16:39

Johannesburg - The SA National Defence Force on Monday said it was unaware of former South African soldiers being deployed to Nigeria to help destroy terrorist group Boko Haram.

"I do not know where Beeld gets this thing from. Ask them," SANDF spokesperson Siphiwe Dlamini said.

Earlier, Beeld reported that former soldiers of the SA Defence Force were part of a multinational team of private military experts on their way to Nigeria.

The Afrikaans daily reported that this was at the request of the Nigerian government, and that the team of about 100 members would train Nigerian soldiers for a massive defence effort.

Arrest SA ‘mercenaries’, says defence boss

http://www.iol.co.za/news/africa/arrest ... MnqgMJybIU

Seems like those hardy remnants of the former SADF have out-foxed, out-thought and out-manoeuvred the saNdf. No surprises in that!

According to Mapisa-Nqakula "no SANDF member was deployed to Nigeria, and South Africa had not received an official request for assistance or weapons". For once she is right. That no requests was received is no surprise, for what should be obvious reasons.

The minister will be well advised to apply the same zeal and energy in pursuit of progressing the Defence Review!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 29 Jan 2015, 12:25 
Offline

Joined: 03 Mar 2008, 08:21
Posts: 1581
Tally-ho wrote:
Lucky wrote:
http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/SANDF-unaware-of-ex-soldiers-in-Nigeria-20150126
Quote:
SANDF unaware of ex-soldiers in Nigeria

2015-01-26 16:39

Johannesburg - The SA National Defence Force on Monday said it was unaware of former South African soldiers being deployed to Nigeria to help destroy terrorist group Boko Haram.

"I do not know where Beeld gets this thing from. Ask them," SANDF spokesperson Siphiwe Dlamini said.

Earlier, Beeld reported that former soldiers of the SA Defence Force were part of a multinational team of private military experts on their way to Nigeria.

The Afrikaans daily reported that this was at the request of the Nigerian government, and that the team of about 100 members would train Nigerian soldiers for a massive defence effort.

Arrest SA ‘mercenaries’, says defence boss

http://www.iol.co.za/news/africa/arrest ... MnqgMJybIU

Seems like those hardy remnants of the former SADF have out-foxed, out-thought and out-manoeuvred the saNdf. No surprises in that!

According to Mapisa-Nqakula "no SANDF member was deployed to Nigeria, and South Africa had not received an official request for assistance or weapons". For once she is right. That no requests was received is no surprise, for what should be obvious reasons.

The minister will be well advised to apply the same zeal and energy in pursuit of progressing the Defence Review!


How did they out Fox the SANDF. They have gone to a other country and provided a serves there. South Africa considers there act a crime since neither Nigeria or the ex solders moved through the government. Though you may not like the law it is still a law.


The defence review is no longer in the hands of the defence force.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 29 Jan 2015, 15:59 
Offline

Joined: 12 Jun 2011, 14:21
Posts: 2351
sob wrote:
The defence review is no longer in the hands of the defence force.

I know that and I never said it was.

What I did say was "The Minister will be well advised to apply the same zeal and energy in pursuit of progressing the Defence Review"!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 29 Jan 2015, 16:06 
Offline

Joined: 03 Mar 2008, 08:21
Posts: 1581
Tally-ho wrote:
sob wrote:
The defence review is no longer in the hands of the defence force.

I know that and I never said it was.

What I did say was "The Minister will be well advised to apply the same zeal and energy in pursuit of progressing the Defence Review"!



Well I do hope she push for it.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 29 Jan 2015, 17:20 
Offline

Joined: 07 Apr 2008, 11:50
Posts: 4229
I simply don't understand why it is a crime for a SA citizen to be employed by the legal legitimate internationally recognised armed forces of a country with which SA has normal friendly diplomatic, trade and even cultural relations.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 29 Jan 2015, 17:31 
Offline

Joined: 03 Mar 2008, 08:21
Posts: 1581
Nor do I. I have heard all kinds of reasons like if they get injured and strandard AS needs to go and rescue them. But if that's the case why are combat reporters and aid workers not stoped.

I don't think they will get arrested or face any problems. It is next to impossible to proof they mercs. They could just be there had tourists or some other job. I have not heard of one sa citizen arrested even though thousands of us are over seas.


I fully under stand clamping down on those that try to fight for rebels or terrorist. I think the law needs to be changed.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2015, 22:24 
Offline

Joined: 06 Jun 2013, 18:45
Posts: 19
counter-guerilla ops needed here too..facing an al qaida and now isis rebuilding and reorganising..hard times ahead..need welcome saaf vets and skills..yep,yep,yep,


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 14 Feb 2015, 07:33 
Offline

Joined: 12 Jun 2011, 14:21
Posts: 2351
Looking around various news outlets and media sources, I came across the following, fresh off the press. I cannot vouch for the credibility or otherwise of this source, but it provides an interesting read. It appears to be a Nigerian centred publication.

South Africa’s secret role in Nigeria’s Boko Haram battle (Weekly Trust 14 Feb 2015)

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/weekly/ind ... ram-battle

Some extracts:-

- "There are fresh reports saying the South African operatives, said to be mercenaries, will lead the way and clear Boko Haram with gunships before the army moves in".
- "Another security source confided that it is true South African pilots have trained and are still training Nigerian pilots .... "
- “Nigeria has recently procured modern military hardware, including fighter jets and armoured vehicles. But some of the equipment are so sophisticated that both our ground troops and the Air Force cannot operate them without substantial training, which will take some time.” (Weekly Trust 14 Feb 2015)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 06 Mar 2015, 19:29 
Offline

Joined: 12 Jun 2011, 14:21
Posts: 2351
Former members of the SADF, the version of South Africa's military that was respected internationally and more specifically feared by opponents on the African continent, is once again showing their expertise and mettle.

From an article in 'POLITICSWEB' written by Peter Fabricius, Foreign Editor, Independent Newspapers, South Africa. (5 March 2015)
Quote:
Boko Haram:-

President of Nigeria, Goodluck Jonathan calls in the SADF.

According to intelligence sources, several ex-South African Air Force (SAAF) pilots are also participating in the war against Boko Haram - under a separate contract - flying Russian Mil Mi-24 Hind attack helicopters, including in night operations, to good effect. The former SADF members are definitely playing a major role in this offensive, said a former military intelligence officer this week. They have been in country for a significant time already, involved in training some specialised NDF units. As per normal they are now deployed in an advisory capacity at the front. This includes being deployed with the NDF special forces, artillery, armour and infantry units on the ground.

Most of the gunships [Mi 24 Hinds] are being piloted by former SAAF members and they are flying a huge number of sorties, including nocturnal operations, with great success. There is also close involvement at HQ level, assisting in the planning of operations and the coordination/interpretation of the intelligence effort. The Executive Director of the Institute for Security Studies (ISS) in Pretoria, agrees that if the best of the ex-SADF soldiers are indeed involved in the anti-Boko Haram operation, they would be ‘a huge asset' for Nigeria. Their skills acquired in tracking and operating in the wooded terrain of southern Angola would be particularly relevant to conditions in northern Nigeria.

Full article:- http://www.politicsweb.co.za/politicswe ... &pid=71616

Yes, there was a time when South Africa's military stood proud amongst the militaries of the world, the remnants are still doing that memory proud. :D =D>


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 07 Mar 2015, 04:13 
Offline

Joined: 08 Mar 2009, 05:05
Posts: 3549
Location: Canada
With the first post on this page, Quote "SANDF unaware of ex-soldiers in Nigeria", I was wondering why would the SANDF know where each one of are at any given day, after all we are free to go where we want.

Quote:
South Africa's Defence Minister Nosiviwe Mapise-Nqakula was deeply unimpressed. These were not ‘ex-soldiers,' but simply ‘mercenaries,' she said.

Can someone explain to me what this Defence Minister is trying to say, that former SADF soldiers are not ex-soldiers?
They were highly rated by many of it's foes that took part in interfering in Angola.

Can someone give me some facts here, Executive Outcomes, were they the first such type of organisation set up?
Since then, other groups have appeared from what I can tell, while E.O. was forced to close.
I recall watching a documentary on CBC about a decade ago, an expert on the topic of hired soldiers said the best came from SA due to the bush war. SA was also the number one supplier of number of hired soldiers.

It is a shame the ANC works around ideology vs practicality, we know where that concept comes from.

Make us proud, South Africans in Nigeria, hammer B.H.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 07 Mar 2015, 07:23 
Offline

Joined: 07 Apr 2008, 11:50
Posts: 4229
Yes the ridiculous terms of the "Foreign Military Assistance Act" were specifically aimed at shutting down Executive Outcomes. AIUI a British company then basically took over EO's contracts and many of it's people.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 07 Mar 2015, 09:30 
Offline

Joined: 14 May 2010, 16:19
Posts: 408
Roger the Dodger wrote:
Yes the ridiculous terms of the "Foreign Military Assistance Act" were specifically aimed at shutting down Executive Outcomes. AIUI a British company then basically took over EO's contracts and many of it's people.


As I understand it, not a single person has been prosecuted under that act either.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 07 Mar 2015, 10:05 
Offline

Joined: 03 Mar 2008, 08:21
Posts: 1581
Foxtrot wrote:
Roger the Dodger wrote:
Yes the ridiculous terms of the "Foreign Military Assistance Act" were specifically aimed at shutting down Executive Outcomes. AIUI a British company then basically took over EO's contracts and many of it's people.


As I understand it, not a single person has been prosecuted under that act either.


Correct. All so the law pretty much criminalizes SA aid workers to. Since the law is against all forms of support. It's a stupid law.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 12 Mar 2015, 14:22 
Offline

Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 08:11
Posts: 60
The realities of war are a lot scarier than the threats of laws or ministers...


http://www.dailymaverick.co.za/article/2015-03-11-fighting-boko-haram-south-african-mercenary-killed-in-friendly-fire/#.VQGDS8saLGI


Quote:
Fighting Boko Haram: South African mercenary killed in friendly fire

Simon Allison

11 Mar 2015 05:42 (South Africa)

The first South African has been killed in north-eastern Nigeria, where he was participating in the fight against Boko Haram. Leon Lotz, an apartheid-era Koevoet operative, was reportedly killed in a friendly fire incident when a Nigerian tank destroyed the wrong target. By SIMON ALLISON.


According to sources in Nigeria, the first South African involved in the fight against Boko Haram has been killed. Leon Lotz, a former South African Defence Force Koevoet operator turned private security contractor, died in a friendly-fire incident on March 9 when a Nigerian tank opened fire on his convoy. The incident occurred in Nigeria’s Borno State, in the north-east of the country, near Boko Haram territory.

Lotz is reportedly from KwaZulu-Natal, and was involved in the support and maintenance of vehicles used by the Nigerian army in their ongoing offensive against Boko Haram.

There is a significant, albeit controversial, South African presence in north-eastern Nigeria. The Nigerian army is working with private security companies who employ South Africans, ostensibly to train troops in counter-terrorist activities. In January, News24 reported that former SADF soldiers formed the core of a multinational team of private military experts that were en route to Nigeria.

Communication between these private security contractors and the Nigerian army is thought to be very poor, which perhaps explains the confusion leading to Lotz’s death.

In another, as-yet unverified report of a friendly fire incident in the Mafa Local Government Area of Borno State, Nigerian forces mistakenly opened fire on a convoy transporting foreign security contractors. Two foreigners, one black and one Caucasian, were killed in the incident. It seems likely that this incident and the Lotz incident are the same.

According to a Daily Maverick source, Lotz was working for a private security company called Pilgrim Africa Ltd. According to the company overview on Bloomberg, “Pilgrims Africa Limited provides security services in Nigeria. It provides armed escort teams to protect people from militant and criminal action. The company was founded in 2008 and is headquartered in Lagos, Nigeria.”

Pilgrim Africa is owned by Cobus Claassens, a former member of infamous mercenary outfit Executive Outcomes. In December, on the subject of dealing with war crimes internationally, Claassens tweeted: “The UN needs Executive Outcomes to be resurrected. We knew how to deal with such rebels!!”

Any kind of mercenary activity is illegal under South African law. Responding to reports of South Africans in Nigeria, Defence Minister Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula said:

“The police have a responsibility to ensure that, when they come back, those people are arrested and the [National Prosecutions Authority] has a responsibility to charge them. There are consequences for going out of the country and provide [sic] any form of military assistance as a mercenary, not as part of the deployment by government.”

The Nigerian government offensive, in coordination with forces from Chad and Niger, has enjoyed some success in pushing Boko Haram back into its strongholds. Recently, in a bid to regain the upper hand, the Islamist militant group – which is demanding the imposition of Sharia law in Nigeria – pledged fealty to the head of the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria, declaring allegiance to its self-declared Caliphate. DM


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC + 2 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group