The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 10:24

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2014, 17:45 
Honorary Order of the Trommel

http://www.beeld.com/nuus/2014-08-25-weermag-hoof-se-weeldevlug-kos-belastingbetalers-baie

Quote:
Kaapstad. – Die hoof van die Suid-Afrikaanse weermag, genl. Solly Shoke, het in April 2014 daarop aangedring om in weelde na ’n konferensie in Maleisië te vlieg – wat belastingbetalers meer as R100 000 gekos het.
Só het David Maynier, DA-LP en woordvoerder oor verdediging, Sondag onthul.
Hy gaan die ouditeur-generaal vra om Shoke se eersteklasvlug op die Emirates te ondersoek, omdat dit nie aan die tesourie se kostebesparingsmaatreëls – wat eersteklasvlugte verbied – voldoen nie.
Hy het saam met twee ander offisiere – wat nie eersteklas gevlieg het nie – na die Defence Services 2014-uitstalling en konferensie van 14 tot 18 April, gereis.
Shoke het op 18 April van Koeala Loempoer, via Doebai na Johannesburg eersteklas gevlieg.
Emirates se eersteklas-passasiers geniet privaatsuites, met ’n sitplek wat deur die personeel in ’n bed verander kan word, ’n persoonlike mini-kroeg, en verskeie ander luukshede.
Maynier het gesê wat selfs meer merkwaardig as Shoke se besluit om eersteklas te vlieg is, is dat dr. Sam Gulube, sekretaris van verdediging, dit goedgekeur het.
“Dit is bloot verkeerd vir die hoof van die weermag om ’n fortuin uit te gee op ’n eersteklasvlug terwyl gewone soldate nie die toerusting het wat hulle benodig om hul sendings uit te voer nie, weens begrotingsbeperkings in die weermag,” het Maynier gesê.
Brig.genl. Xolani Mabanga, weermagwoordvoerder, het beweer: “Dit is nie waar dat genl. Shoke eersteklas gevlieg het nie.”
Hy het gesê Shoke het wel met Emirates gevlieg, maar nie eersteklas nie
Quote:
Genl. Solly Shoke Foto: Cornél van Heerden

Why not SAA ? If the government do not even trust the airline they always have to bail out , that says a lot? He could have flown SAA and do a stop over somewhere. This will however cause another problem, SAA's A340's do not offer first class, so what do you ?

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2014, 04:49 

The message that this leader of men sends to his men is: there is no money to supply you with proper equipment that will ensure your safety in battle, but there is ample money for me to indulge myself in the utmost luxury.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2014, 16:33 

Isn't that one of the perks of the job? You won't find a CEO of a company traveling cattle class would you?

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2014, 16:55 
Site Admin

Balerit wrote:
Isn't that one of the perks of the job? You won't find a CEO of a company traveling cattle class would you?

Seriously?

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2014, 19:20 

Balerit wrote:

Well I have run into a couple of CEO's, usually in the senator lounge, (First Class Lounges). most of them, fly economy. they only are allowed to enter the Lounge because of their frequent flyer status. on the most Business class but not so easy First class. Once I run into a CEO of big German company providing paint booth's cars. We are both HON member flying status with Lufthansa, that provide you with a car(Porsche Cayenne) to be taken to the plane if it is on an outward position. We where each taken to the plane with our VIP cars. As I boarded I run to the back of the plane. and where surprised to see him sitting next to me, in cattle class.

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2014, 14:58 

He won't be flying any airlines from North America, I'm not aware that any of them have first class, only business and economy.
What kind of soldier is he??? Will he visit his troops on the battle field??? If so, does he expect there to be a 5 star hotel, if not, will he tell his troops he can't visit them as there is no accommodation that suits his needs.

Reminds me of the great humble Jan Smuts. God bless him.

Balerit wrote:

I knew a CEO who flew out of Vancouver every Sunday night to Toronto to attend to two companies in the area for 2 to 3 days. I sat next to him 3 times. He always purchased the cheapest of the 3 economy seat options, turning down the meals, turning down the option of selecting his own preferred seat, and less reward miles. Sitting at the back of cattle class for being cheap.

My wife's company CEO is always flying between companies in Canada and US, he spends his time at hot spots and they don't see much of him, I guess that is a good thing. He interview her at an airport hotel, 500 Km from where the job was, they both had just got off the plane, couple of hour later onto the next flight.
He always flies economy.

As a former Air Canada employee, I have been bumped into business class many times as economy was full and being the last to get onto the bus.
I can profile people by appearance in business class, those that are not inclined to strike up a conversation have to try to create an appearance and avoid eye contact. If they are from a different part of the world, they will not be caught dead in cattle class (like the gentleman in this topic?), cultures where hierarchy is important. If they are local, they are nobody in the business world and got there by using points, and want to feel very important and don't want to let you know that they are nobodies.

Those who like to have a conversation, are relaxed about who they are and don't have a point to make. They usually travel in economy and are in business class for one of three reasons. And they are someone of importance in the business world.
1. They fly frequently, economy was oversold, someone had to be bumped up, so they get rewarded for their loyalty. :D
2. They have an economy ticket, and have requested an upgrade making use of their points.
3. They decided to use some of their billions of points to get a business class seat.

Around 2000, I got onto an SAA A300 from JNB to CPT.
There were no seats available in economy, so I got dumped in business that was half full.
There were only 3 of us that were not in pilot uniforms, and I was not revenue.

And that is my general opinion from experience and observation.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2014, 07:37 

http://www.beeld.com/nuus/2014-08-28-da-pak-minister-oor-duur-vlug

Quote:
Kaapstad. – Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula, minister van verdediging, het Woensdag geweier om ’n vraag in die Nasionale Vergadering te beantwoord oor die meer as R100 000 wat bestee is aan ’n eersteklas-vliegkaartjie vir die hoof van die Suid-Afrikaanse Nasionale Weermag (SANW).
David Maynier, DA-LP en die party se woordvoerder oor verdediging, het in ’n vraag-en-antwoord-sessie verwys na genl. Solly Shoke se luukse eersteklasvlug van die Emirates-lugdiens na ’n konferensie in Maleisië.
Hy het gevra wat die minister doen om besteding in haar departement te beperk en te hou by die tesourie se kostebesparingsmaatreëls wat eersteklasvlugte verbied.
Maynier het gesê Shoke se vlug is simbolies van die departement wat dikwels sy eie “grootste vyand” is aangesien hy miljoene verkwis terwyl die SANW geldelik in die knyp is.
“Shoke het blykbaar ’n smaak aangeleer om nie net met Emirates te reis nie, maar sommer ook eersteklas te vlieg. Ons verstaan hy het ’n taai werk en het soms ’n bietjie ‘ek-tyd’ nodig – soos Emirates dit noem – maar ek is seker die minister is dit met my eens dat ’n Emirates-vlug van R100 000 eenvoudig verkeerd is.”
Mapisa-Nqakula is deur die DA uitgejou toe sy gesê het sy gaan die vraag nie beantwoord nie, aangesien dit ’n opvolgvraag is wat niks te doen het met die aanvanklike vraag oor verdedigingstoesig nie.
Die DA het lawaai gemaak en John Steenhuisen, DA-hoofsweep, het beswaar aangeteken.
“Agbare speaker, dit is nie vir die minister om te besluit of sy ’n vraag gaan beantwoord of nie,” het hy op ’n punt van orde gesê.
Die minister het voortgekrabbel en gesê die vraag het niks te doen met die aanvanklike vraag nie, maar uiteindelik gesê: “Ja, daar is besparingsmaatreëls.”
Maynier het Maandag gesê hy gaan die ouditeur-generaal vra om Shoke se eersteklasvlug te ondersoek.

Quote:
“Ja, daar is besparingsmaatreëls.”
in die rooi-taal : Yes, there are cost-saving measures That means no First class "perks"!

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2014, 19:57 

How the hell does the ticket cost so much, I mean really? :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2014, 19:33 

He is a previously disadvantaged individual,, what more do you expect? He like all the others in similar positions in SA have bestowed the entitlement upon themselves to catch-up at no matter what the cost. :evil: :evil:

"Brig.genl. Xolani Mabanga, weermagwoordvoerder, het beweer: “Dit is nie waar dat genl. Shoke eersteklas gevlieg het nie.”

Well, no need for an inquiry, just get him to provide his 'E-Ticket' and or Boarding Pass to prove otherwise. :idea: Ooops, he has thrown away his ticket and boarding pass stub.

The tragedy is it is the norm in SA, every one makes a media hype, it dies and nothing is ever done to recover the money.

In the unlikely event of him being found to have contravened a guideline or regulation, most likely get a slight tap on the finger (naughty - do not do it (caught doing it) again)), pay a R1000 fine, which will be deducted on a monthly basis till your retirement age, then balance written off.

There are many more individuals like this one in government and private sector. It was the same before 1994 too, by the way.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2014, 14:49 

sob wrote:
How the hell does the ticket cost so much, I mean really? :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

First class & business class sales seats are very profitable for airlines.
Economy seat profits are in general, drops in the bucket.
Go on line and find out what an airline charges for 1st class seats. :wink:

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2014, 16:38 

jeffreynic wrote:
sob wrote:

First class & business class sales seats are very profitable for airlines.
Economy seat profits are in general, drops in the bucket.
Go on line and find out what an airline charges for 1st class seats. :wink:

WTF, the difrince between price is crazy.