The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 14 May 2024, 10:11

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 25 Feb 2014, 10:42 

vlamgat16 wrote:
Iamsam, somewhere in the thread someone mentioned old NCO's and like most threads, we do tend to veer slightly off course before getting back on track. :D

Oh ok. Sorry H, didn't mean to poke. :wink:

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2014, 13:54 

iamsam wrote:
iamsam wrote:
sob wrote:
The orginal topic was the high number senior officers. Though it is high it not has high has some though.

sob, please qualify your statement. Which other armed forces employ so many high rankers, (Colonel and above)?

Or did you mean to say "Although high, not as high as some THOUGHT?"

If so, what in your opinion, is a high number of high rankers? in the SADF that I served in, and my father for 21 years, the battalion structure was set, so many troops per stick, so many per platoon, etc.

Given, this might have changed over time, but I strongly doubt that a war room full of over-weight, gun-shy generals will be able to win a war just because of their numbers. it is my opinion, and also my experience that ONE good leader leads a large contingent of men (or women) more effectively than a barrage of high rankers.

Too many chiefs allow for inconsistent management, mixed messages, incompetence, inefficient resource allocation and turf wars within the structure. Oh my, I actually just described the current Armed Forces. I freakin wonder how that is possible. :roll:

sob Still waiting for a response please. :)

I have a job and other things I do. I will respond don't worry.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2014, 20:06 

iamsam wrote:
sob wrote:
The orginal topic was the high number senior officers. Though it is high it not has high has some though.

sob, please qualify your statement. Which other armed forces employ so many high rankers, (Colonel and above)?

Or did you mean to say "Although high, not as high as some THOUGHT?"

If so, what in your opinion, is a high number of high rankers? in the SADF that I served in, and my father for 21 years, the battalion structure was set, so many troops per stick, so many per platoon, etc.

Given, this might have changed over time, but I strongly doubt that a war room full of over-weight, gun-shy generals will be able to win a war just because of their numbers. it is my opinion, and also my experience that ONE good leader leads a large contingent of men (or women) more effectively than a barrage of high rankers.

Too many chiefs allow for inconsistent management, mixed messages, incompetence, inefficient resource allocation and turf wars within the structure. Oh my, I actually just described the current Armed Forces. I freakin wonder how that is possible. :roll:

you saying we the worst even though we do not the ability to confirm this.

Pretty much

with out a base line of other countries i could not know.
you mean this
http://www.defenceweb.co.za/index.php?o ... Itemid=159
yeah i do not think combat battalions, more jobs that only need say a SGT now have a officer with said SGT type things.

Who says they will be in a war room.

And that will not take place if the jobs where done by NCOs?

i am pretty sure most of these posts where just made to keep MK people happy, those MK guys have probably moved on but the posts remained and has you know the defense force can be stupid when it comes to change.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2014, 09:58 

Yep, agreed sob, lots of officers there.

But you said "although high, not as high as some"

Which other armed forces were you referring to? I cant think of too many armies with as much brass as we have? Except maybe Zim? Dont know, just shooting off the hip here.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2014, 11:18 

iamsam wrote:
Yep, agreed sob, lots of officers there.

But you said "although high, not as high as some"

Which other armed forces were you referring to? I cant think of too many armies with as much brass as we have? Except maybe Zim? Dont know, just shooting off the hip here.

Of the top of my head, america and I am sure there are others.

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/wor ... any-troops

In short they have more genrals now than they did in WW2 when they had 10 times the enlisted.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2014, 23:32 

Sorry Sob, you're using a bad example! No-where in that linked post can we actually see the General to other rank ratio or how many Generals there actually is in the US armed forces. Also, remember that their force is orders of magnitude bigger than the SANDF.
No comparison! [-X
Our total defense force is less than 100000 while theirs are more than 2milion if my info is correct.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2014, 04:18 

boertjie wrote:
Sorry Sob, you're using a bad example! No-where in that linked post can we actually see the General to other rank ratio or how many Generals there actually is in the US armed forces. Also, remember that their force is orders of magnitude bigger than the SANDF.
No comparison! [-X
Our total defense force is less than 100000 while theirs are more than 2milion if my info is correct.

No they not 2 million any more. Maybe coldwar hight. I

I can not find a rastion I suspect the numbers where clasfied. But more senior offices than WW2 when they had 10 times the force. Does seem extremly high.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2014, 06:04 

sob wrote:
boertjie wrote:
No comparison! [-X

I can not find a rastion I suspect the numbers where clasfied. But more senior offices than WW2 when they had 10 times the force. Does seem extremly high.

Sure, it is high by their standard as stated in the link.
It does not give us the ratio, so we can not compare. :smt102

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2014, 06:48 

jeffreynic wrote:
sob wrote:
boertjie wrote:
No comparison! [-X

Sure, it is high by their standard as stated in the link.
It does not give us the ratio, so we can not compare. :smt102

I am not against a ratsio. Just I can not find one. Probaly is one some where.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2014, 09:31 

http://www.treasury.gov.za/documents/national%20budget/2014/enebooklets/Vote%2022%20Defence%20and%20Military%20Veterans.pdf
http://www.defenceweb.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=10991:fact-file-sandf-payscales-wef-july-2010-&catid=79:fact-files&Itemid=159

if you read the budget document we have 298 people on salary level 13-16, which is brigadier and up
Which results in a ratio of 1:256.83

What is realy intersting is that the vast majority 128 of people on this salary level are in administration which is made up of only 3892 which gives a ratio of 1:30

Force employment has 18
Landward defense has 32
Air defense has 27
Seaward defense has 24
Health services has 25
Intel ???
General Support has 25
Military Veterens has 14 out of 31 staff members
Socoi economic support has 3

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2014, 10:31 

Some of the admin people counted in the budget are civvies at director and deputy director level in the ministry.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2014, 10:56 

Roger the Dodger wrote:
Some of the admin people counted in the budget are civvies at director and deputy director level in the ministry.

Correct. Since this is for the entire DOD.

Does armscore not all so fall under DOD as well?

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2014, 11:38 

What seems to the problem with the high numbers, a lot of them are 'lifers' and will be there till they retire.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2014, 15:23 

OK,

You want comparison,

Here is the BRITISH ARMY in 2011: ONLY the ARMY, and ONLY General Officers.......

in 2011 The British Army had 59 Serving Generals

The British Army consisted of 143,550 REGULAR Troops, and 134,190 RESERVE troops...for a Total of 277, 740......

That leaves ONE General for approximately 4708 soldiers.....

OK with some serious digging:

The RAF....has Approximately 30 Deputy Vice Air Marshals and above.....

for 37,200 Regular Troops and 33, 980 Reserve for a total of 71,180 Air Force Personnel

The ROYAL MARINES has only One Major General.....for 7,730 Regular and 700 Reserve Personnel...total 8,430

The ROYAL NAVY....has 38 Flag Officers including those assigned to the UN and NATO HQ's, Air Wing etc.
for 36,030 Regular Naval Personnel and an Active Fleet Reserve of 8, 100, Other Reserves are approximately 13,000

SO in conclusion, the Total Military forces of the UK are Approx. 414, 480....all branches included and have around 128 Flag Officers, being Generals, Vice marshals, Rear Admirals, Major Generals etc......

So that leaves ONE Top Brass for every 3,239 personnel...a ratio of 1 : 3,239

Last edited by smokeandfire911 on 27 Feb 2014, 17:21, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2014, 16:38 

smokeandfire911 wrote:
OK,

You want comparison,

Here is the BRITISH ARMY in 2011: ONLY the ARMY, and ONLY General Officers.......

in 2011 The British Army had 59 Serving Generals

The British Army consisted of 143,550 REGULAR Troops, and 134,190 RESERVE troops...for a Total of 277, 740......

That leaves ONE General for approximately 4708 soldiers.....

Thats a "few" more troopies than SA has wouldn;t you say?.......

Couldn;t find much on the RAF or RN....I know they are likely simular in ratio, but couldn;t find the numbers...I'll keep looking......

by serving generals do they mean active duty, if so why did you combine them with reserve force.

the entire SANDF has 182 generals and admirals across 4 branches in active duty

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next