The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 11 May 2024, 19:41

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: 30 Oct 2013, 09:20 

Some years ago LIW (now DLS) made a pump action rifle based on the R4 - basically the gas piston/cylinder was replaced with a pump-action fore-end grip - but it didn't get much interest and never went into large scale production.

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2013, 12:42 

@King I think such a rifle would be a tad overkill for self-defense at home and would be too much trouble to get the rifle licensed etc. not to mention the price of such a rifle... My suggestion is a moderate price paintball marker (BT-4 Combat is what I have.) using solid acrylic balls or pepper balls (or both :twisted: ) and getting a harder spring that pushes the speed of the projectile to about 380fps + the last time used mine with a chrono. Why I prefer this is because it will put a intruder on the floor shrieking in pain without penetration or killing the guy . I know members of our community policing forum that also uses paintball markers in the same setup that says it is their preferred weapon and proved it to be effective at subduing a perp without causing to severe injuries. No need for licensing plus the chances of a court case against you is considerably lowered and it much more compact than a rifle. You can get a marker, pepper balls, acrylic solids and a gas bottle with tap valve (so that the CO2 doesn't leak out) for under R2000. I would say it is much more practical for young adults like ourselves :D

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2013, 14:19 
Honorary Order of the Trommel

Article about the Galil (R4)

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2013, 20:39 

Thanks for posting Pepster - I do wonder where you dig up these articles which are generally quite interesting!

Roger the Dodger wrote:
Is it possible for a private individual to own a "military style" rifle in New Zealand?

Here it's just about impossible for private individuals to own a semi-auto rifle. The only civvies who generally get to own such firearms are licenced security companies (and various criminal elements who don't bother with all the paperwork of course).

Yes it is but requires an "E" category endorsement on one's licence to do so (which has it's own set of conditions). Firearms can never be used for self-defence here though.

Roger the Dodger wrote:
Some years ago LIW (now DLS) made a pump action rifle based on the R4 - basically the gas piston/cylinder was replaced with a pump-action fore-end grip - but it didn't get much interest and never went into large scale production.

Ja, the Vektor H5. I attended boarding school in Klerksdorp and would visit my friend's farm out at Ventersdorp on weekends. His dad had one, from memory they had a 12 round magazine as standard but we'd sneak out his R4 (kommando issue) magazines and use those instead. :lol: The rifles are around but very rare and go for silly money.

As an aside I've seen a couple of LM5's (semi-auto R5) here in NZ.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2013, 00:20 

So how much would my,erm... a H5 go for in NZ?

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2013, 03:18 

curious george wrote:
So how much would my,erm... a H5 go for in NZ?

You have a PM.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2013, 20:16 

As an EX Canadian Armoured Recce trooper...I can say that looking back over what I can see of equipment...the SADF was FAR in advance of what Canada was issuing re: "webbing" etc during the 80's...I believe that the wide spread use of the SA Vests was a HUGE step ahead of just about everyone....Canada, the USA, Brits Germans etc were ALL issuing seperate "webbing" sets...a belt, braces, a "butt " pack, canteen, utility pouch, ammo pouches..it wasn;t till the 90's that Canada tried the "Tac Vest" idea...and it was horrible.......

As for uniforms...why worry about such a small factor...heck, Canada sent troops into Afganistan without enough "arid Cad Pat"...in fact during the first rotation, "outgoing troops" had to hand over their uniforms to the "incoming" rotation!..seems to me looking at the pics of the SA "soldier 2000" uniforms...that the shirts / pants are somewhat designed on the older styles...no specialized pockets on arms, knee pad pockets , mandarin collars etc.....and there is nothing wrong with that...it'll come around......heck when I joined the CF...we were wearing a very simple straight Olive drab combat uniform, all our allied nations were sporting Camo ones...yet we still did our jobs and carried on...usually better than other nations.....

We also were equipped with the reliable FN C1A1, the Canadian version of the FN SLR ( semi FAL)..as always, getting issued with these was daunting in Basic...but were grown into a grand relationship.... 7.62 x 51 is a long range knock down round...the rifles were heavy yes...BUT we were TRAINED as marksmen...to shoot accurately and make every round count...5.56 rifles are a joke..they are almost all designed for high volume of fire, unaimed, short range fire...look at the number of rounds per kill it takes...and are prone to make troops just spray an area...poor fire control, and troops NEED to carry huge amounts of ammo...US, Canadian and other troops in Afganland have found that Taliban that are hit multiple times with 5.56 just keep coming...7.62 x 51 drops them.......by the way, Canada now uses a Canadian made version of the M4...our C7 ( standard ) and C8..(carbine)...same ones chosen by the British SAS / SBS .......and they have been HATED by the Canadian troops that were privilledged enough to have used the C1A1's......

in other words...New is not always better.....and weight of a carried rifle is FAR outweighed by ability and function of said weapon in the hands of a trained soldier...less ammo of a greater caliber in a superior rifle will have a greater impact , at greater ranges than the lighter rounds / weapons.......

just an observation from an old Canadian Soldier that has used a huge variety of weapons and equipment during the "Upgrades" Canada under went.......
\
Cheers

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2014, 06:28 

Roger the Dodger wrote:
Is it possible for a private individual to own a "military style" rifle in New Zealand?

Here it's just about impossible for private individuals to own a semi-auto rifle. The only civvies who generally get to own such firearms are licenced security companies (and various criminal elements who don't bother with all the paperwork of course).

In fact one I've even got one of these:

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2014, 19:15 

H1017412 wrote:
Roger the Dodger wrote:

In fact one I've even got one of these:

Is that semi or full automatic H101?

In Canada we have 3 different licences, non restricted, restricted and prohibited.
Non restricted are long guns.
Restricted are hand guns with barrels over 4 inches.
Prohibited are barrels under 4 inches.

Non restricted can be semi auto. You can go on the internet, find a long gun, including a semi auto, make the purchase and they can post it to you by normal post, does not need to be registered. The transaction is between you and the seller, no one needs to know.

Restricted (hand gun), you and the seller just need to inform the firearms department in the police force that the gun is changing ownership. You don't need permission, just need a restricted firearms licence.

Prohibited, very controversial. The anti gun lobby set the barrel length at 4" (101,6 mm), and we are a metric country.
The idea was to prohibit those guns with stubby barrels, they snuck this imperial measurement while folk were not realising what it really meant. The P-07 Luger is not considered to be a stubby barrel hand gun.
There is a fight to change it to 100 mm, that would make the P-07 Luger restricted instead of prohibited.
The P-38 Walther is restricted (125 mm), it replaced the P-07.

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2014, 21:51 

Jeffrey - it's semi automatic.

In NZ you have different licence categories:

A category:

General issue licence, permitted to own any number of long guns provided. Bolt, lever, pump action. Semi automatic restricted to maximum magazine capacity of 7 rounds for centrefire and 15 rounds for rimfire. Semi automatics prohibited from having a free standing pistol grip, high capacity magazines, folding stock, bayonet lug or flash hider. Any or all of these features classify it as a MSSA (Military Style Semi Automatic). There is no firearm registration.

B category:

Pistols. Need to belong to a recognised pistol club and shoot a certain amount of times a year in order to qualify. Probation period of six months before one can apply for this endorsement. Pistols can only be used at approved ranges, cannot be carried or used on a farm or hunting etc. More stringent security requirements - most difficult endorsement to get. All firearms are registered.

C category:

Collector. Endorsement entitles holder to own fully automatic machine guns, sub machine guns etc. Firearms must be stored in an inoperable condition (e.g. working parts removed) and can never be fired. I think you're allowed to fire blanks but the main thing is that the law seems to recognise that some firearms hold an historic value and deactivating them by drilling holes in barrels and such will grossly devalue the piece. All firearms registered.

D category:

Firearm dealer, 'nuff said.

E category:

MSSA - allows holder to own or procure military style semi automatics. Can be used for hunting, pest control etc. If a person doesn't hold an E endorsement they are not permitted to even touch the firearm. All firearms registered.

That's the basics of it here!

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2016, 18:22 
Honorary Order of the Trommel

An interesting distraction today at our family beach picnic.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2016, 09:41 

Some if those guys look like the hip-belts of their webbing sets are sitting too high, on the waist instead of the hip.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2016, 09:46 

Interesting article - http://www.defenceweb.co.za/index.php?o ... Itemid=204

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7