The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 06:18

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Re: The IKLWA
PostPosted: 23 Feb 2015, 00:32 

koffiepit wrote:
The Japs tried to do a similar thing with their Zero fighter and tried to turn an underpowered Molotov cocktail of an aircraft into a Corsair or Hellcat killer by means of cosmetic improvements.

That's not fair!
The navy did not have anything in the pipeline for replacement, so they had to try and suck out more out of a design to stay alive.
the Fw190A-8 was at a disadvantage with it's BMW radial engine at altitude, when Focke Wulf installed a liquid cooled engine designed for a bomber as they were not allowed the preferred Daimler Benz engine, they were take by surprise by the improved performance. Some allied pilots said the Fw190D was more than a match.

So flog it and see what happens.

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2015, 17:16 

I do not see why one would want to continue a design that, although quite good for its time and era, is now surpassed by more modern designs.
BAE-SA, now part of Denel Land Systems (DLS), has taken all the lessons learned over the years and came up with the RG-41. That is the vehicle we should have gone for. The RG-41 can accommodate the same towers as the Badger, is a 8x8 and has better armour and protection than the Ratel. Has the access doors at the back, with some side access still available and is mid-engined.
I'm of the opinion that if there is a new competition for a Ratel/Badger replacement or supplementary vehicle, the RG41 will be the ideal solution.

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2015, 22:20 

boertjie wrote:
I do not see why one would want to continue a design that, although quite good for its time and era, is now surpassed by more modern designs.
BAE-SA, now part of Denel Land Systems (DLS), has taken all the lessons learned over the years and came up with the RG-41. That is the vehicle we should have gone for. The RG-41 can accommodate the same towers as the Badger, is a 8x8 and has better armour and protection than the Ratel. Has the access doors at the back, with some side access still available and is mid-engined.
I'm of the opinion that if there is a new competition for a Ratel/Badger replacement or supplementary vehicle, the RG41 will be the ideal solution.

America is building the Stryker witch is based on a 1970s era mowag.

The RG41 was to late. By the time it rocked up the Army had spent far to munch on the badger to drop it. I truth a complet replacment of the ratel by the badger is the best opstion. We can't affored mutipil IFV. The ikwela though is a relatively cheap way to extened the life of the ratel since it is a upgrade not a new build. After they replaced the ikwela can serve in other roles like a APC, armoured ambulance, command vehicle, extra.

The RG41 will proberly never sell. The RG35 may though.