The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 15 Dec 2019, 09:30

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 374 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: are we at war(DRC)
PostPosted: 01 Aug 2013, 01:35 

Great pictures, thank you for posting F.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2013, 10:17 

I also saw the R4 with a slightly different magazine than the once we had during the '80's. So that part of the very small/little problem their was with the R4 series has been looked at. Did it rectify the magazine feed issues?

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2013, 14:15 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oarslb7-CYs

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2013, 04:07 

boertjie wrote:
I also saw the R4 with a slightly different magazine than the once we had during the '80's. So that part of the very small/little problem their was with the R4 series has been looked at. Did it rectify the magazine feed issues?

If I was to hazard I guess I'd say that is a polymer magazine instead of metal.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2013, 19:12 

Goma - United Nations troops in the Democratic Republic of Congo went into action on Friday to battle M23 rebels after at least four civilians were killed in clashes near the flashpoint city of Goma, a UN spokesperson said.

Late Thursday, shells hit the outskirts of Goma, killing a woman and a child, and a rocket struck the nearby village of Kanyaruchinya, killing two and injuring nine others.

The civilians were victims of fighting that has erupted sporadically since mid-July between M23 and the regular army in a region 20km north of Goma, a city of one million people, ending a truce of about two months.

Military spokesperson Prosper Basse told UN-sponsored Radio Okapi that troops of the UN mission in the country (Monusco) were "henceforth engaged alongside the FARDC (regular army)" to deal with the threat.

Leaders meet

South African artillery forces in a new UN intervention brigade, authorised in March to take the offensive against armed movements, destroyed a rebel T55 tank stationed near Kibati, about 20km from Goma, according to the UN.

President Jacob Zuma, whose SA National Defence Force has committed 1 345 men to the UN brigade, met in Luanda on Friday with DR Congo President Joseph Kabila and Angola's Jose Eduardo dos Santos to discuss the insurgency.

Dos Santos said the instability threatened "the peace and security of the whole region".

Last edited by A Darter on 29 Aug 2013, 08:52, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2013, 19:19 

You beat me to it.

The spotters (most likly recces) had to be pretty close to call in arty that effectivly. Air burst would not enough to take out a T55 even a 155mm. You would need to get direct hit or at least close to one.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2013, 19:34 

My heart is beating out of my chest, even though I'm thousands of km's away from the front. This battle will make or break any credibility left within the SANDF.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2013, 19:41 

A Darter wrote:
My heart is beating out of my chest, even though I'm thousands of km's away from the front. This battle will make or break any credibility left within the SANDF.

Battel of bangue and the sudan ambush all ready show that the SANDF is credailbil.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2013, 20:35 

A Darter wrote:

Can't agree with you more, although our boys have proven themselves worthy over past few months.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2013, 21:24 

Why do you guys(or some of you) see or think that "war" or "combat" is something "glorious" or somehow "romantic"?

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2013, 21:46 

curious george wrote:
Why do you guys(or some of you) see or think that "war" or "combat" is something "glorious" or somehow "romantic"?

Don't know why you think that George? People dying has never been glorious or romantic! If I said anything to let you think that of me I apologise and unreservedly retract such comments.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2013, 21:48 

The SANDF does not have artillery deployed, they engaged with 81mm mortars. Some Tanzanian artillery troops from the FIB were also deployed in the same area and used their artillery. It's unclear whose shells took out the tank, but the SANDF mortar team seems to have taken out one of the M23 comms towers in Kibati heights.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2013, 22:14 

Darren wrote:
The SANDF does not have artillery deployed, they engaged with 81mm mortars. Some Tanzanian artillery troops from the FIB were also deployed in the same area and used their artillery. It's unclear whose shells took out the tank, but the SANDF mortar team seems to have taken out one of the M23 comms towers in Kibati heights.

Is this inside info or are you reading this from somewhere?

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2013, 22:18 

Combination. The info about there being no artillery deployed by the SANDF and the positioning is solid.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2013, 22:55 

I doubt a 81mm morta took out a T55. Unless it was one lucky shot.

I know we never sent G5 or G6 but what about 120mm morta's. They would be perfect. All so the SF and Para do have 107mm MRLS. If they took them with to CAR a place that with a low level of risk I am sure the recces brought them to DRC with hope fully more than 60 rockets.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 374 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 25  Next