The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 03:09

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Mig 21 - C340
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2017, 20:44 

Saw this on Facebook, for me it's sad, saw it years ago at museum

Post subject: Re: Mig 21 - C340
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2017, 21:20 

If true, I'm deeply saddened. The MiG and F1CZ together were a great (and historically relevant) display. It'll most probably end up in the open and get vandalized. :?

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2017, 10:56 
Site Admin

20 September 2017: defenceWeb

Quote:
SA returns MiG fighter to Angola

By Dean Wingrin

Under a cloak of secrecy, the South African government has returned a MiG-21 fighter jet that it acquired during the Border War conflict in 1988.

A prized possession of the SAAF Museum and placed on display at Air Force Base Swartkop, the MiG-21bis Fishbed with serial C340 of the Força Aérea Popular de Angola (FAPA, the Angolan Air Force) was acquired in December 1988 when the jet landed in northern South West Africa (now Namibia) after becoming lost and running low on fuel.

General Francisco Afonso Hanga, Commander of the Angolan Air Force, announced on Angolan National Radio (RNA) that the MiG-21 was returned to Angola on Sunday September 17. This was, he is quoted as saying, a goodwill gesture by South African President Jacob Zuma to mark the official opening that day of the Cuito Cuanavale monument.

The fighter was quietly removed from the Museum’s display hall where it was exhibited next to a Mirage F1CZ, its South African Air Force (SAAF) adversary during the Border War, on Friday September 15 before being transported to the nearby AFB Waterkloof. It was then flown to Angola inside a FAPA Ilyushin IL-76TD Candid (serial T-911) transport aircraft.

It is not known if Angola specially requested the return of the aircraft, but Angola has many old MiG-21 aircraft available locally for display purposes.

The news has not been met with enthusiasm by South African military historians and aviation enthusiasts. The aircraft had pride of place at the SAAF Museum and was an important exhibit, drawing many local and foreign visitors to view and take photos of the two old adversaries standing next to each other.

The fighter was acquired by South Africa during the Border War, when on December 14 1988 FAPA pilot Lt Vinez took-off from the airfield at Lubango for a routine ferry flight to Menongue airfield. However, he became lost after entering cloud and decided to divert to the airfield at Cuito Cuanavale.

Flying in a south-easterly direction, but west of the planned route, he became low on fuel and executed a near prefect landing in an open field outside Tsumeb in the then South West Africa (now Namibia). The aircraft sustained minor damage to the underside.

An ex-SAAF officer, who requested not to be identified and was present at the time, says that contrary to popular belief, Lt Vinez had no intention to defect. During discussions at the accident site with him, his greatest concern was that he was in UNITA occupied territory. “It took some time to convince him otherwise,” the officer remarked.

As there was no formal request at the time for the return of the aircraft, it was repaired to display condition for the SAAF Museum by Atlas Aviation’s Apprentice School and first put on display in 1991. It had subsequently been repainted by the SAAF Museum.

Numerous requests to the SAAF and SAAF Museum for comment over the past two days were not responded to.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2017, 11:22 

If this was the right thing to do, they would not have done this in secret. :evil: :evil: :evil:

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2017, 13:08 

T-911 IL76 flew to Menongue from Waterkloof.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2017, 13:23 

She will be a rust bucket in less than 3 years....sad.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2017, 19:30 

Sad news !!! ai ai ai :roll:

I was however, under the impression the Mig crashed in 1988, not 1989?

EDIT: The crash was in December 1988. On the 31st March 1989, the Mig21 pilot, Lt Domingos Vinez, along with 11 Angolans and 3 Cuban soldiers, were exchanged for a South African soldier - Johan Papenfus.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2017, 21:35 

Dean wrote:

They've already broken it! The nosecone was straight when it was on display... :roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2017, 23:15 
Site Admin

Kremlin wrote:
I was however, under the impression the Mig crashed in 1988, not 1989?

EDIT: The crash was in December 1988. On the 31st March 1989, the Mig21 pilot, Lt Domingos Vinez, along with 11 Angolans and 3 Cuban soldiers, were exchanged for a South African soldier - Johan Papenfus.

Corrected to 1988. :smt023

The info board in front of the MiG-21 when it was on display says 1989!

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2017, 09:14 

Well then why does Angola not return all the SA Army equipment that was left there as well.??

Again no one can stop politicians taking over final decisions,I feel the youth of the country needed that aircraft here to show the history of the border war..the display was made with the F1 that shot down a similar plane.

The nose cone was loose before taking it away.

I find this sad..

That's why it's called the present.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2017, 09:36 

unfortunately once an aircraft/article gets handed over to the SAAF Museum there is no guarantee that it will remain in the collection. It has happened a couple of times now that aircraft have been taken out of the museum, or are left outside to deteriorate until the point they have to be scrapped.

This present's a conflict of interest between preserving heritage for the South African public and conforming to political/ military influence. The problem stems from the fact that the Museum is a SAAF unit, to be truly effective the museum should be separated from the SAAF and setup as non-profit organisation.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2017, 09:39 

Disgusting and pathetic.

Its just petty really.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2017, 10:03 

Mistral wrote:
If true, I'm deeply saddened. The MiG and F1CZ together were a great (and historically relevant) display. It'll most probably end up in the open and get vandalized. :?

In the early day's of the museum, they displayed the Mig-21, F-1CZ, and IIICZ 204 together in the same hanger. 204 was in very good condition but was transferred to AFB Makhado, where I trust she is being looked after. The Mig is now gone as well, leaving just the F1 by herself.

The lesson being, take your photo's whilst you can.

Airfire wrote:
Well then why does Angola not return all the SA Army equipment that was left there as well.??

Again no one can stop politicians taking over final decisions,I feel the youth of the country needed that aircraft here to show the history of the border war..the display was made with the F1 that shot down a similar plane.

The nose cone was loose before taking it away.

I find this sad..

This is what makes this whole thing seem a so sinister. To secretly raid museums when no one is looking and remove important/ relevant articles is basically the same as rewriting the history books. Surely heritage is more important than goodwill.

Another point is that it compromises the the Museum as a tourist destination which has a impact on the local economy. (Not that the museum is concerned about that point at all). Better the Museum, greater the impact on the economy. Nobody wants to see empty hangars.

Now when we visit the museum we can tell people, "you see the empty space over there, that is where a Mig-21 once stood but it was given away for some daft reason"

Sorry, but I find the lack of foresight to be very disturbing.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2017, 10:55 

"Victors" attempting to rewrite history.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2017, 12:33 

H1017412 wrote:
"Victors" attempting to rewrite history.

Correct they cannot get over the past conflict or racism of the past.Again just a show of black power and politicians doing as they wish in this country with whatever they wish,no one has any say in any of there stupid acts to so called IMPRESS other nations of the past communistic regime.

Why did they not just paint a few of the scrap Mig-21's in Angola for the monument..makes no sense.waste of time money and resources,as the politicians waste the air forces time with VIP transport,mostly what the SAAF does,at least our pilots get there hours.

I guess next will be the Mil-24 that the museum has and anything else they send back to the old communists(Did not say who now)

That's why it's called the present.

Last edited by Airfire on 21 Sep 2017, 14:48, edited 1 time in total.