The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 02:14

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Namibian Air Force
PostPosted: 30 Sep 2008, 14:35 

It looks as though the F-7NM is the latest F-7 mark and thus has the frameless cockpit and cranked delta with leading edge slats.

pngwerume, do you know what Namibia's medium term procurement policy is? I would think they would be a ripe customer for the JF-17. Whilst the latest F-7 is a really good dogfighter, perhaps something with the ability to launch BVR missiles is being looked at for the future?

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2008, 14:59 

leading edge wrote:
It looks as though the F-7NM is the latest F-7 mark and thus has the frameless cockpit and cranked delta with leading edge slats.

pngwerume, do you know what Namibia's medium term procurement policy is? I would think they would be a ripe customer for the JF-17. Whilst the latest F-7 is a really good dogfighter, perhaps something with the ability to launch BVR missiles is being looked at for the future?

I don't know what they are planning. IISS's The Military Balance 2008 say they have "plans to build new bases" .

F-7PG models sold to Pakistan with earlier models of older Grifo models (Italian Grifo-7PG PD radar (search 55km, track 37km, single target track). The Grifo-MG is said to be able to track 8. I would assume also the MG radar to track at more than 37km. Secondly, for 3 or so years China has been offering the KLJ-6F radar for the F-7 with BVR capability. I am thinking "Would Namibia have settled for a less capable Grifo radar and turned down a BVR capable Chinese radar?" I am suspecting (I could be way off the mark), the Grifo-MG might allow the F-7MG to fire the SD-10. just a though!

Also, the Pakistan F-7s are LGB capable.

Yes, I do see the JF-17 in the Namibian airforce, but for some reason, I don't think they will do it soon. I believe they are still trying to get the expertise with the less capable MGs

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2008, 06:58 

Further on this discussion, the extract below is from Jane's Air Launched Weapons 2003 ( http://www.centurychina.com/cgi-bin/any ... =2&gV=1&p= ) I doubt though that the F-7MGs can make full use of the full missile range.

"... ...The SD-10 is not yet believed to be in PLAAF service, but is in an advanced stage of development and may have been released for operational test and evaluation with the air force. According to CATIC, the SD-10 can be carried by a range of aircraft including the J-7 (F-7), J-8 (F- and MiG-series fighters, or any Western aircraft that have been fitted with the missile's PF95 launcher and pylon... ...According to CATIC sources the missile has a range of 80 km. ... ..."

Also, if I am not mistaken this model is from an airshow with CATIC advertising SD-10 on F-7s. I believe I have a better copy of the image on my external hard drive that is giving problems accessing at the moment.

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2008, 23:44 

Cockpit, F-7MG, Banglashi example.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2008, 03:34 

Further to Namibian plans for more base, see below. I got this from another forum and the link is no longer active.

Quote:
Friday, June 20, 2008 - Web posted at 7:43:47 GMT

Chinese plan sparks outcry
JOHN GROBLER

A CHINESE offer to build a new military academy at Okahandja, a huge project valued at N$70-75 million, has again raised issues of unfair competition and non-compliance with local labour legislation by Chinese construction companies.

These companies are specifically accused of failing to pay an industry minimum wage of N$8.43 per hour, not paying any contributions to the Social Security Commission or registering any form of pension fund for their local workers, as required by law.

No local architect/s and/or quantity surveyor/s appear to be involved, raising questions over construction standards and pricing of inputs.

Plans circulating for the building, referred to as the 'Comprehensive Teaching Building of Namibian Military Academy' shows a 7 430 square metre construction, to be built on a 43 000 square metre site on Okahandja's southern outskirts.

The complete plans for the new military academy were drawn up in December 2006 by the Institute of Architectual Design in Gansu, China.

CONFIRMATION
The local Chinese Embassy confirmed that it was part of a military aid package, but no other details were immediately available.

It is not included in the latest Ministry of Defence budget figures, but appears to be part of an expansion plan that has seen the military expand the Keetmanshoop base, as well as construct a new air force base at Karibib.

Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Defence, Petrus Shivute, also confirmed that such a deal was being negotiated, but said the project was still under negotiation and was unlikely to happen in the current financial year.

"There are still many issues to be negotiated," Shivute said in a brief telephonic interview some time ago.

"It is there but there is no final agreement yet.

If construction will start, if at all, it will not be this year, maybe two years," he added.

Shivute declined to discuss any specifics, including suggestions that the deal is to be linked to the purchase of Chinese military equipment.

Local quantity surveyors estimated the value of the building at N$70 - N$75 million, excluding civil and landscaping work.

It was also not clear if the building was to be put out to tender, once negotiations were completed.

But local architects have warned that should the deal go ahead on the basis of the Chinese architectural plans, it would be in violation of regulations reserving certain kinds of works for local architects.

In terms of Section 24(2) of the Architects' and Quantity Surveyors Act (Act 13 of 1979), only locally registered architects and quantity surveyors may draw up plans and oversee construction of public structures exceeding 500 square metres.

While there were plans to change them, these regulations - issued under Proclamation 4508 of 12 August 1981 - were still in force, President of the Namibian Council for Architects and Quantity Surveyors, Paul Munting, pointed out.

"Any architect whose plans are to be used in construction of a public building of this size has to be either registered locally as an architect, or be affiliated to a local [architectural] practice," Munting said.

In terms of Government Gazette No 3780 of February 5 2007, any construction company that employs someone for more than two days per week is also obliged to establish a pension fund for such workers.

Such funds have to be legally registered with the Namibian Financial Institutions Supervisory Authority (Namfisa).

While 87 local construction firms contribute to the Building Workers Pension Fund, no Chinese firms were members of this firm, said trustee of the Fund, Albert Reussing.

Namfisa's Ebben Kalondo insisted on a complete list of local Chinese construction firms before they would check if such firms had registered the requisite pension fund with them.

Reussing also pointed out that local construction companies, in terms of the industry-wide agreement with the unions, provided certain minimum working standards and protective clothing such as overalls, work boots and hard hats, which the Chinese firms did not.

Accusations 'unfair' CHINESE construction companies plan to form their own professional association to enforce adherence to local legislation, and will also be taking steps to join the local professional architectural and quantity surveying bodies, the Chinese Embassy says.

Economic Counsellor Zhang, reacting to criticism from local construction firms over alleged cut-throat business practives, pleaded for more understanding between Chinese and Namibian firms.

But at the same time, he accused Namibian construction firms of attempting to "elbow out" foreign competition.

The Namibian government had the right to decide who to appoint on big projects, he insisted.

A decision was taken recently to set up a Chinese version of the Construction Industry Federation (CIF) to enforce a disciplinary code among Chinese contractrors, Zhang said.

"First and foremost, it will be to correct misdeeds, to follow up and criticise [members] who have done wrong and pay compensation where necessary," he said.

As for accusations that Chinese state-owned firms failed to pay the minimum wage to construction labourers, the Chinese Embassy had yet to receive any complaint from the Ministry of Labour, he said.

There were well-known Namibian firms who also failed to pay the minimum wage, he claimed.

The larger problem was also that " ...

Namibian workers are not so hardworking", he said.

He however skirted issues of alleged non-compliance with affirmative action quotas and non-adherence to legal requirements to set up pension funds for workers, as demanded by Section 42 of the Labour Act.

Problems between Chinese and Namibian firms were largely because of the small Namibian economy, which led to "jealousy", he surmised.

Instead of attacking Chinese firms, local firms could learn from them in terms of new techniques and materials, which could benefit the economy as a whole, he said.

http://www.namibian.com.na/2008/June/na ... 2E01F.html

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2008, 15:20 

While I have know for a while that the newer F-7s can carry smart munitions, most forums suggested they could not desiginated tartgets. However I came across this today on a threat I had never bother reading. It is an FT-7 with a targeting pod:

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2009, 00:49 

This if from Jane's All The World's Aircraft 2008-2009.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2010, 18:46 

F-7 family loadout chart: http://www.mig-21.de/english/technicaldataarmament.htm

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2010, 18:24 

pngwerume wrote:
Yes, is it is a US F-16.

how did i miss this thread? what variant?

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2010, 22:37 

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2010, 12:02 

F-7 with LS-6 Glide Bomb (60km stand-off range) @ the bottom left : http://www.catic.com.cn/indexPortal/hom ... taid=4302#

Last edited by pngwerume on 31 Dec 2010, 11:43, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2010, 23:28 

Looks like earlier F-7 model upgraded with SD-10

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2010, 08:46 

Why does Namibia with its tiny economy and lack of infrastructure want to spend megabucks on a relatively sophisticated fighter force; and why do they find it necessary to have an airforce base at Keetmanshoop? Do they view South Africa as a possible threat?

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2010, 09:59 

Personally I try not to ask why any country needs a strong military - I believe any country and every country needs one, as long as they are not aggressive towards others = defence purposes. The world is a fast changing place. There might be no movement/no change for decades but when things start happening, there is usually little time to react so, BE PREPARED!

For Namibia in particular, I believe (maybe wrong) they don't have a good relationship with Botswana. I support that both sides need to feel secure and confident in their ability to deal with each other. The odds are they are less likely to fight when they are both well armed - ME THINKS!

Could be they view SA as a threat maybe they don't, but again, my view is you want to know your air force can cover all your country comfortably, i.e. all corners be within reach (time and distance) = have base locations that allow you to achieve this. I would assume as much as their main base is at Grootfontein, it is good and the right thing that a detachment is sent to other parts of the country for training, and familiarise the personnel and pilot with that part of the country. This applies to the army too. Another way to look at it is, they might want their bases as far away as possible from the direction they believe an attack will come from - maybe not permanently but in time of hostilities = their thinking might be the very opposite!

I also support having a small, well equipped/relatively sophisticated force = balanced with all the force multipliers instead of a large force with only basic equipment and functions. I don't think Namibia is there yet - I believe Botswana is closer. I believe it is better to buy a few of all the equipment you need, keep your personnel trained and capable, then at the first sign of trouble, you can quickly double or tripple what you have. That way, you already have developed the skills and the supplier/customer relationships in place.

No, I don't have shares in BAe, NORINCO or LM! ... ... in fact that is not a bad idea, need to buy same. :D :D

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2011, 00:44 

From Flight global world airforces directory

I am not sure how to read that table. 6 active and 8 ordered = 14. Or is it 6 active out of a total of 8 ordered?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next