The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 30 Oct 2020, 01:24

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2020, 20:08 

[youtube] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LLKDksm1Eo [/youtube]

Is this for real? It sure is a dramatic video but for some reason it looks a bit fake to me?

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2020, 22:27 
Site Admin

I believe that this is from a game.

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2020, 10:44 

It is from the video game "ARMA 3". Also not the first time that ARMA 3 footage is put forward as "actual footage". Earlier this year I saw something similar being used claiming to be US anti-aircraft systems shooting down Iranian missiles. This particular video originally claimed to be "A video of MiG 25 being shot down by Armenia using the Shilka Air Defence System." Someone probably figured out at some point that the MiG-25 part doesn't fit and changed it to Su-25, but somehow the video kept being shared. Oh, and I have seen the text accompanying this video in various forms to both claim that it is Azerbaijan shooting down an Armenian aircraft and Armenia shooting down and Azerbaijan aircraft, as in this version.

The claim had to say it was a "Shilka" (ZSU-23), as it is the only air defense system that Armenia operates that vaguely (and I mean very vaguely) matches the footage in the ARMA 3 video. In actual fact, the system used to make the ARMA 3 video is a Phalanx CIWS, usually ship mounted, which is obviously not operated by either Armenia or Azerbaijan, so they had to claim it was a "Shilka". In fact, since it is terrestrial mounted, the one in the ARMA 3 footage is more correctly a Centurion C-RAM.

Here are some real Shika's shooting:

Clearly nothing at all like the previous ARMA 3 videos.

And here is a real Phalanx system:

That is obviously what the ARMA 3 video tries to portray (as I said, in its terrestrial Centurion C-RAM form), but it cannot say so, since Azerbaijan and Armenia don't operate the system.

Sadly I have received the same footage on a WhatsApp group for professionals in my field, and even there a few people seemed to have fallen for it initially. I think by now people should have learned to be very skeptical of anything they find on the internet or on social media. In this Armenia-Azerbaijan conflict, one should be even more cautious since the propaganda systems of both countries have been in overdrive since the beginning of the conflict, with independent individuals happily joining the fray, such as whoever originally shared this particular video.

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2020, 18:24 

Thanks for the info Mfezi. They almost had me fooled. Real good CGI these days... I ended up following an Instagram account (atlas.news) that seems to be sharing legitimate images and videos of the conflict.

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2020, 19:23 

At that rate of sustained fire the barrels would've ended up looking like bananas. Also, aircraft will (should) never do a second pass from the same direction as the first. But good CGI nonetheless...