The SAAF Forum
http://www.saairforce.co.za/forum/

TAKOM 1/35 G6 Rhino.
http://www.saairforce.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10085
Page 1 of 1

Author:  vulcanxm607 [ 07 Feb 2019, 22:17 ]
Post subject:  TAKOM 1/35 G6 Rhino.

WIP - I am at present busy making the TAKOM 1/35 G6 Rhino kit.
The Alclad II (ALC-408) Armoured Glass tint arrived today so now I can carry on and start putting the body together once I have tinted and installed the armoure glass windows.
I am going to be painting my model in the SADF Dark Earth Brown and not the SANDF Camo.
Photos to show work up to date as well as a photo found on the net which shows the size of the 1/35 G6 RHINO COMPARED TO A 1/35 CHINESE 152mm TYPE 83 HOWITZER .
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Author:  Mars [ 08 Feb 2019, 21:28 ]
Post subject:  Re: TAKOM 1/35 G6 Rhino.

Looking forward to watching the progress.

Its an amazing kit.

Author:  Stratobat [ 10 Feb 2019, 15:24 ]
Post subject:  Re: TAKOM 1/35 G6 Rhino.

Hey Vulcan,

Is that the Takom 1/35 G6 Rhino in the last picture next to the Chinese 152mm Type 83 Howitzer?

Regards,
Stratobat

Author:  vulcanxm607 [ 10 Feb 2019, 18:36 ]
Post subject:  Re: TAKOM 1/35 G6 Rhino.

Stratobat wrote:
Hey Vulcan,

Is that the Takom 1/35 G6 Rhino in the last picture next to the Chinese 152mm Type 83 Howitzer?

Regards,
Stratobat


Hi Stratobat,

Apparently that is the BAXMOD resin G6 next to the Chinese Type 83 Howitzer?
The G6 body of the TAKOM kit is approx 26cm long (still busy building it), so is still a long body. I have no idea how long the BAXMOD G6 body is.
When finished I will put it next to the AFV Club Centurion Mk5/1 or one of the other tanks I have, just to give an idea of size.

Regards
Vulcan

Author:  Stratobat [ 19 Feb 2019, 11:45 ]
Post subject:  Re: TAKOM 1/35 G6 Rhino.

Hey Vulcan,

vulcanxm607 wrote:
When finished I will put it next to the AFV Club Centurion Mk5/1 or one of the other tanks I have, just to give an idea of size.

Should make for an impressive display next to the Centurion :smt023

Are you going to add the machine gun and mount to the top of the turret?

Regards,
Stratobat

Author:  vulcanxm607 [ 19 Feb 2019, 16:41 ]
Post subject:  Re: TAKOM 1/35 G6 Rhino.

Stratobat wrote:
Hey Vulcan,

Are you going to add the machine gun and mount to the top of the turret?

Regards,
Stratobat


Hi Stratobat,
What size mg was mounted on top of the turret. Info regards this is not easy to obtain over here in the UK, am asking as at present I do not have any spare mg's or mountings in my spares box so will need to see if I can either get one donated or see if there is one available to purchase.
Regards
Vulcan

Author:  Stratobat [ 20 Feb 2019, 06:00 ]
Post subject:  Re: TAKOM 1/35 G6 Rhino.

Hey Vulcan,

vulcanxm607 wrote:
What size mg was mounted on top of the turret. Info regards this is not easy to obtain over here in the UK, am asking as at present I do not have any spare mg's or mountings in my spares box so will need to see if I can either get one donated or see if there is one available to purchase.

I'm not entirely sure but from what I have been able to find on the net the option appears to be for either a 12.7mm M2 Browning or a 7.62mm machine gun (See Tank Encyclopedia link).
I have not been able to find any close up photographs of the mount.

- Military Today article on the G6 Rhino.
- SADF.info photographs of the G6 Rhino.
- Army Technology article on the G6 Rhino.
- Tank Encyclopedia article on the G6 Rhino.

Edit: Maybe someone can confirm but in one of the photographs in the links I posted above it looks like one of the machine guns could be a FN MAG or similar?

Regards,
Stratobat

Author:  vulcanxm607 [ 20 Feb 2019, 10:59 ]
Post subject:  Re: TAKOM 1/35 G6 Rhino.

Stratobat wrote:
Hey Vulcan,

I'm not entirely sure but from what I have been able to find on the net the option appears to be for either a 12.7mm M2 Browning or a 7.62mm machine gun (See Tank Encyclopedia link).
I have not been able to find any close up photographs of the mount.

- Military Today article on the G6 Rhino.
- SADF.info photographs of the G6 Rhino.
- Army Technology article on the G6 Rhino.
- Tank Encyclopedia article on the G6 Rhino.

Edit: Maybe someone can confirm but in one of the photographs in the links I posted above it looks like one of the machine guns could be a FN MAG or similar?

Regards,
Stratobat


Hi Stratobat,
Thanks for the links.
I see in the photos on http://sadf.info/ArmourmentsArmyArtilleryG6.html it looks to have a 12.75mm mounted and in the photo on https://www.army-technology.com/projects/g6/ it looks to be a 7.62 FN Mag.
Will see if I can obtain one of either, but like you I have not been able to find any decent pics of the mountings.
Regards
Vulcan

Image

Image

Image

Author:  vulcanxm607 [ 19 Jun 2019, 16:50 ]
Post subject:  Re: TAKOM 1/35 G6 Rhino.

Nearly completed - my 1/35 TAKOM G6 'Rhino'
I have done it in to overall brown used by the SA Army during the bush war and up to 1994. It is shown with its spades/feet down and up as these are working.

Paints used for main colour - Vallejo 70.921 'English Uniform Brown' (air brushed),
Armoured windows done using Alclad II ALC408 'Armoured Glass Tint' (air brushed 3 thin coats) and
the Air Con unit on the left rear of the turret was done using Tamiya XF-72 'JGSDF Brown' (brush painted).

Still to be done is a minor amount of weathering on the body & tyres, due to the fact that as far as I am aware they are kept in a fairly clean condition. I could stand to be corrected and any photos of it in the SADF Brown will be greatly appreciated.

I have included 2 photos showing size comparison to the Danish Leopard II MBT.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Author:  Stratobat [ 19 Jun 2019, 17:38 ]
Post subject:  Re: TAKOM 1/35 G6 Rhino.

Hey Vulcan,

The Rhino looks great =D>

When you sprayed the windows, did you thin the Alclad?
I've always been reluctant to try it just in case it etches the clear plastic.

Regards,
Stratobat

Author:  vulcanxm607 [ 19 Jun 2019, 20:22 ]
Post subject:  Re: TAKOM 1/35 G6 Rhino.

Stratobat wrote:
Hey Vulcan,

The Rhino looks great =D>

When you sprayed the windows, did you thin the Alclad?
I've always been reluctant to try it just in case it etches the clear plastic.

Regards,
Stratobat


Hi Stratobat.
With regards to the Armoured windows done using Alclad II ALC408 'Armoured Glass Tint' I just used it straight from the bottle as it is already watered down for air brush use. I used a very soft hairy stick to paint it onto the small turret windows.
My first attempt did not turn out too well, so I cleaned the cleaned the parts up using warm water and dish washing liquid. Dried them off with paper towel then resprayed them. 2nd attempt worked ok.
I was also wary of using it straight from the bottle, but after testing on some spare clear parts I found it was ok and did not etch the plastic.
Also read up on it via different websites.
At least with the windows of the G6 I could make new ones using clear plastic sheet if the Alclad did not work well.


Regards
vulcanxm607

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC + 2 hours
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
https://www.phpbb.com/