The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 13 May 2024, 19:03

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 18  Next
PostPosted: 26 Mar 2012, 21:12 

Hi Mistral

with reference to the photos what kind of paper did you use to stick the masking tape to, I assume its to preserve the stickiness of the tape and to cut the circular shapes?
How are you cutting the the circles, I assume you are using some kind of compass?

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2012, 06:50 

MARS wrote:
Hi Mistral

with reference to the photos what kind of paper did you use to stick the masking tape to, I assume its to preserve the stickiness of the tape and to cut the circular shapes?
How are you cutting the the circles, I assume you are using some kind of compass?

Hi Mars. I use a carboard base covered in sections of standard masking tape (two layers) available from any hardware store. This is to provide a surface onto which the Tamiya tape (the yellow tape) is placed. I do this to, as you rightly said, retain the stickiness of the tamiya tape. The cutting is done using a circular cutter which looks like a compass but with a blade on it. You can get these from hobby shops or art shops - I got mine at an art shop near Tukkies, Pretoria. The circular cutter works very well. The whole operation took about 1 hour.

I've sprayed the white backing - much better than decals because the paint goes on like, ....well...., paint !! :D

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2012, 07:16 

I must get myself a circular cutter!

Masking off the roundels is a good way to get the correct effect,exactly what I did on a real Tiger Moth "4673" ZS-BGP a couple of months ago,this Tiger is planned to be at the Zwartkop Air Show.

Getting back to what I was going to say,I use a "Twinsaver 100 x Multi-Plastic Bags" for the covering of areas where you do not want any overspray.

It's virtually like the real thing also!

I previously had some accidental oversprays with bog role as it's porous ,hence the change to a "sandwich bag" plastic covering.

Mistral,looking good so far! =D>

Geoff

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2012, 20:41 

Thanks Mistral

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2012, 07:25 

Update on Harvard 7028.

Elevators are cut off to assemble in a slight dropped position.
Trainer yellow and dark sea grey colors are applied with airbrush to upper wings. I am pleased with the outcome. \:D/ Thanks AT6C for the advice on the color. It really helped a lot. :smt023

Photos will follow soon.

Question to AT6C. If I apply a satin finish over the silver for 7028 to get the correct shade of silver, must I also apply a gloss finish over it when the kit is finished or should I only apply a gloss finish to the upper wings?

Cheers
Rickus

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2012, 08:27 

Hi Rickus,

A light satin finish to the whole aircraft would be ok.

The real aircraft never had a gloss finish due to the reflectivity that one would get from the wings and anti-glare panel.

At present some aircraft are painted with a satin / gloss finish,but that is purely to save on the expence to re-paint the aircraft.

Hope it helps,

Geoff

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2012, 08:48 

Thanks, it certainly will :smt023

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2012, 11:08 

Hi guys

Sorry for the long wait, i have finally completed my Vampire. Here is some pics of my build progress, not my best model.
It was a very rush job to be honest.

Vampire assembled and ready for painting.

Vampire after first coat of paint.

Vampire ready for decals.

Deacls to be applied.

Finished product.

Thanks for looking.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2012, 11:32 

looking good Marius :smt023

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2012, 13:41 

That's a very nice Vampire Marius! :smt023

Painted the upper camouflage on my Spitfire. Its the first paint job that I'm happy with in a long time!

Now for the underside.... I dont have any idea which colour to use. Some sources say Sky (Beige Green) while others say half white, half black :?:

Nico

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2012, 14:16 

ChopperPilot wrote:
Now for the underside.... I dont have any idea which colour to use. Some sources say Sky (Beige Green) while others say half white, half black.
Nico

The color of the underside would depend as to what year and which squadron it is going to be done as.

To all on the GB - nice models.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2012, 14:19 

Hi Mariussc,

Vampire looks great,nicely done. =D>

Don't forget to put the fin flashes on the inner tailfins also :)

Chopperpilot,what scheme are you doing?

Early RAF? Then white / black undersides will be correct although you must be careful as there were two w /b schemes.

Geoff

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2012, 14:23 

Mariussc,
Only noticed now,the two little bumps at the back of the tailbooms on the underside, are rubber tail-strike protectors and are black in colour.

Geoff

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2012, 15:09 

It will be the aircraft of Adolph 'Sailor' Malan during the Battle of Britain, September 1940. I guess that would be black and white then?

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2012, 16:55 

ChopperPilot wrote:
It will be the aircraft of Adolph 'Sailor' Malan during the Battle of Britain, September 1940. I guess that would be black and white then?

Link to another site showing a model of 'Sailor' Malan's Spitfire. This shows it as B/W undersides: http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/r ... php?id=963

Found this write up on the Spitfires of the BoB at the following link:
http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/mickeysailorwm_1.htm

Spitfire Mk.I

The colour scheme on this a/c is that used by RAF fighters in the winter of 1940/41 – and was the standard Dark Earth/Dark Green upper surfaces but with Black spinner and no fuselage band; the fuselage roundel is of the standard type adopted for Spitfires until summer 1942. The black under surface to the left wing was only used through these winter months, before reverting back to the all Sky undersides introduced first in August 1940. The codes letters are Medium Sea Grey. No aircraft serial number was painted on the rear fuselage during this short period. The roundel on the black wing has the only one be have a yellow outline, the other side being the standard red/white/blue. Upper wing roundels are the standard red/blue.

The eight machine gun ports have canvas patches over them fixed on with red primer dope.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 18  Next