The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 12 May 2024, 18:21

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 18  Next
PostPosted: 19 Mar 2012, 23:57 

Strongs,

The ICM kit is one Royal B@tch of a kit to build properly, but I suppose one musn't complain at 8 Pounds/kit......

I am trying to do WR/RR as in WW II, but the basic fitting & filling has me stumped. :(

As for the Harvard, Mirage IIICZ & C-47 builds elsewhere on the forum....WOW guys - keep it up!

I have a 48 scale Vacform Shack lying in wait somewhere in a deep, dark cupboard...suicide might well be a viable option :?

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2012, 09:10 

Where are you struggling with the ICM Spit??

It is a pretty straight forward kit, but it has no locating pins (Which I almost prefer)...

I've built the lowback and found it to have very reasonable fit....

Lemme know and I'll see where I can help.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2012, 12:32 

Herewith the photos of my latest update.
Cheers
Rickus

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2012, 17:35 

jeffreynic wrote:
I would like to put underwing rockets x4 on this aircraft as on page 108 of said book.
Can anyone help me with the exact position these rockets were placed on the wings?

Hi Jeffreynic - I'm using the same book as reference. Guestimated the position of the rockets from the photos. Rocket length details got off Wikipedia (what would we do without it ?). Here's pics :

4-off rockets - the photos in the SAAF Spitfire book show stubby concrete noses but I went for a 60lb HE round :

Locations of the stubs - the front ones are shorter, the back ones have rocket track fairings :

With rockets on :

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2012, 19:12 

Spity basically assembled . I droped the elevators.

T

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2012, 13:03 

Dean wrote:
Topic:
World War Two to Korea - Any SAAF related aircraft, either flown by the SAAF, flown by a South African or flown against the SAAF.

Scale:
Any

Duration:
Three months

Commencement date:
1 February 2012

Completion date:
30 April 2012

Two months are almost past :twisted:

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2012, 13:18 

Arrrrrr! that damn clock again :shock:
Oh the presure of it all :lol:

SO what will be the next theme for May to July? SAAF fast movers maybe, or how about transport/recon/light planes

T

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2012, 19:50 

T. van Vuuren wrote:
Arrrrrr! that damn clock again :shock:
Oh the presure of it all :lol:

SO what will be the next theme for May to July? SAAF fast movers maybe, or how about transport/recon/light planes

T

Yup, tick tock !!! If it's fast movers for the next one, I'm already done - see Mir IIICZ under another subject :D :shock:

Here's Spittie with medium sea grey undersides painted and masked ready for extra dark sea grey uppers :

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2012, 01:10 

Mistral wrote:
jeffreynic wrote:
I would like to put underwing rockets x4 on this aircraft as on page 108 of said book.
Can anyone help me with the exact position these rockets were placed on the wings?

Hi Jeffreynic - I'm using the same book as reference. Guestimated the position of the rockets from the photos. Rocket length details got off Wikipedia (what would we do without it ?). Here's pics :
4-off rockets - the photos in the SAAF Spitfire book show stubby concrete noses but I went for a 60lb HE round :

Thanks Mistral for your input. Saw a good picture on this site in the retired section, "Spitfire Mk.IXe", there is a nice clear underside shot of 5534, the one I'm building, surprise to see it!
I will be doing concrete rockets. Where did you get your rockets? I'm getting my ones from my ICM kits.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2012, 02:48 

HABU wrote:
The ICM kit is one Royal B@tch of a kit to build properly, but I suppose one musn't complain at 8 Pounds/kit......
I am trying to do WR/RR as in WW II, but the basic fitting & filling has me stumped. :(

Well, I was taken aback when I started test fitting. The picture below, the engaging surfaces between cowling and wing appeared to both have flash, and I was not sure how much to trim off. I played around, and it snapped into place after engaging 30 deg. to each other. Nothing to trim off! It won't fall appart.

Yes, well, once I got the hang of this kit, I started to like it. Part of my tail was short shot, add putty. There were sink marks and some ares needed filling.
ImageImage

I glued the upper wing to the fuselage, it fit very well. The lower cowling did not need any persuasion, it just fit like that.

I find this kit fits together well, just a few hickups that can be fixed easilly, it is not a shake and bake kit. It does require skill and some work. Don't know if it is, but it was one of the most accurate 1/48 Spits around.

Last edited by jeffreynic on 13 Jul 2012, 22:43, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2012, 08:50 

Those sink marks infront of the ailerons on the ICM spit seems to be a common thing acording to some revies, but easy to fix thoug.
I think I need to get one for the stach aswell, atleast the wing seems to be OK for a SAAF spit :)

T
ps. do you find the plastic to be a little on the soft side? I did with my ICM F-51d

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2012, 06:37 

T. van Vuuren wrote:
ps. do you find the plastic to be a little on the soft side? I did with my ICM F-51d

I would not say the plastic is soft. My ICM high back Spit IX, the plastic is a bit harder than this one though.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2012, 20:27 

Thnx Portamus & Jeffreynic. I eventually managed to convince the Spit to start looking the part. The problems were mostly due to a lack of patience on my part. I've got a few kits sitting on the workbench in various states of completion. Can't seem to get into the mood for serious modelling lately, I maybe should give it a rest for a while before I bugger something up :?
Meanwhile I'll be watching this thread with great enjoyment!

I agree, though, apart from being an advanced build, the ICM Spit is a very accurate kit. I want to fit my second Spit, also ICM, (Gray SAAF) with circular exhaust stubs. I ordered some from Hannants. (the kit exhausts seem to be wrong for the "later" Evelyn, therefore decided to do the WWII one...)

I also have an Italeri Spit XVI & a Hasegawa Spit V in the stash, but I haven't decided what livery to choose yet (definitely SAAF though).

Rgds & happy modelling,

Andre

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2012, 20:30 

jeffreynic wrote:
Where did you get your rockets? I'm getting my ones from my ICM kits.

Hi Jeffreynic - they are scratch built using plastic card and rod. Took a while but will add some interest to the airie :D

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2012, 20:33 

Lots of Spitfire action on the forum :smt023

Here's the masks in the making for the roundels - according to my reference 610mm all round in six positions. Each mask numbered.

Mask applied to underwing :

Mask applied to other positions :

All wrapped up in bog-roll, ready to go for some white paint.....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 18  Next