The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 06:34

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2018, 15:02 

Now for something different, hope you enjoy!

Two highly detailed Lego sets from my collection:

Set 3451 from 2001 (have had in my collection for 17 years now, the decals are degrading seriously), 577 pieces, Size: +_40 cm wingspan - in red, brown and tan bricks

Set 10226 from 2012, 879 pieces, Size: +_50 cm wingspan in green, grey and tan bricks

Of note, at least to me as Lego collector, is the evolution of the size, detail, novel use of Lego elements and building techniques between the 2 models....

***These are official Lego sets, so beyond sourcing them they only required rudimentary Lego building skills from my side***

(.......having said that, biplane wing rigging wires can be challenging, even in a Lego set....)

Both have detailed rotary engines (cylinder pots rotate with propeller) but only 8 cylinders in model due to Lego building technique restraints (v 9 cylinders in actual aircraft)

Set 10226 has some functionality with ailerons and elevators actuated by cockpit joystick

Set 3451 only six cylinders...

cheers

pc

Last edited by Plane crazy on 24 Apr 2018, 15:22, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2018, 15:12 
Site Admin

How cool is that? :D

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2018, 03:31 

Wow!! Those are just so good!! =D> \:D/

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2018, 20:36 

Thnx for the kind words gents!

I have an extensive Lego collection with many of the sets being aircraft models. Many of them are inspired by Civil aviation designs, BUT Lego has a strict policy prohibiting any depiction of violence and weapons of war. So no Lego army range and contemporary police sets with unarmed police and vilians! Medieval castles, Pirates, Cowboys, Space themes and movie/comic franchise licended sets (Star Wars
etc. ) will have period/genre appropriate weapons.

This makes the two sets posted above unique then- although they are patently armed weapons of war their release was allowed due to historic nature. Unfortunately that means no official Lego Spitfire/Messerscmitt/Mig 21/Mirage sets soon although the web is full of a mind boggling array of MOCs (Lego fan speak for “My Own Creation”)

Lego does release sets clearly based on WWII and contemporary fighter planes but always in funky bright primary colours and definitely unarmed.

Will post some examples every now and then

(Expect amongst others many version based of the Space Shuttle... a firm subject favourite of Lego)