The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 21:07

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Re: Some of my models
PostPosted: 30 Apr 2017, 18:13 

Mistral wrote:
They wanted your details ?? Sounds like they're spinning you a nonsense. The southern side is active and if you want to get to the museum's operational hanger, then maybe so. But the static aeries are at the north end in the public part of the museum.

Hi Mistral, it's ok, I don't mind giving my details and better be safe than sorry...

PostPosted: 01 May 2017, 11:32 

Hi Kangarou

Some nice Models you have there.
If you are in Sandton, I suggest you also visit the Museum of Military History next to the Zoo in Johannesburg. It has some unique aircraft like a Me 262 Night fighter.
You find a report of th emuseum and about Zwartkop here: http://www.wings-aviation.ch/09-Museum/Basis-en.htm

PostPosted: 07 May 2017, 16:47 

Illustrious wrote:
Hi Kangarou

Some nice Models you have there.
If you are in Sandton, I suggest you also visit the Museum of Military History next to the Zoo in Johannesburg. It has some unique aircraft like a Me 262 Night fighter.
You find a report of the museum and about Zwartkop here: http://www.wings-aviation.ch/09-Museum/Basis-en.htm

Hi Illustrious,
Thanks for the advice, I have been told about it but another person too. I didn't have the opportunity to move away from my hotel last week-end at Sandton, so I didn't visit anything.
But next week-end, I am flying back to Jo'burg and I have plenty of time before boarding my flight back to Australia, so I might jump into a rental a go for a visit somewhere. My preference is still the SAAF museum at Zwartkop, but I have to say it is a bit confusing as I have been told only the outside exhibits can be seen due to some works into the hangars. It is fine by me as I consider worth it to go there and see the Mirage and Cheetah's outside, however, I have been told I have to request for a visit, give my details as I am not a South African citizen, but somebody else told me it is not necessary as the museum is at the opposite of the active area of the base...I got in contact with somebody on the phone, who told me he will see what in can do, but no answer yet...all a bit confusing...

PostPosted: 07 May 2017, 22:40 

Hi Kangourou

I have not visited the museum on a non-training/airshow day in many years so I can't comment on how easy it is to visit the museum .

All I know is the sign outside the base says the museum is open from Wed to Sat, 10 until 15. I know because I read the sign whilst standing in line for the show yesterday. My recommendation is just go to the main entrance explain to the guards you want to visit the museum. Take along you passport/Visa or other form of identification, just in case someone wants to see it. Just be clear with them that you just want to the Museum. It really shouldn't be a issue to get in, after all it is a museum that is open to the public including tourists.
Just bearing in mind what flyingspringbok said about the construction, which is still ongoing (for a few years now?).

If you don't come right, Museum of Military History is a very good alternative. All that it will cost you is R30/AUD 3, no questions asked.

PostPosted: 09 May 2017, 06:34 

MARS wrote:
Hi Kangourou

I have not visited the museum on a non-training/airshow day in many years so I can't comment on how easy it is to visit the museum .

All I know is the sign outside the base says the museum is open from Wed to Sat, 10 until 15. I know because I read the sign whilst standing in line for the show yesterday. My recommendation is just go to the main entrance explain to the guards you want to visit the museum. Take along you passport/Visa or other form of identification, just in case someone wants to see it. Just be clear with them that you just want to the Museum. It really shouldn't be a issue to get in, after all it is a museum that is open to the public including tourists.
Just bearing in mind what flyingspringbok said about the construction, which is still ongoing (for a few years now?).

If you don't come right, Museum of Military History is a very good alternative. All that it will cost you is R30/AUD 3, no questions asked.

Hi Mars,
Thanks a lot for your comments. I think I will have a go at Zwartkop, I have some great interest on Mirage families aircraft, so it is worth trying !
Cheers,
Michel

PostPosted: 09 May 2017, 17:37 

That fix the problem:

Thank you for visiting our country and showing interest to visit the Air Force Museum as well. Unfortunately, your request cannot be accommodated at this time due to limited vetting time before your proposed visit. Our processes require a minimum of six weeks for proper vetting of any foreign visitors to the Base.
Please accept my apology in this regard.
Regards

No Cheetah for me this time...

Pretty disappointed actually...

PostPosted: 09 May 2017, 18:26 

Very odd. :shock:

PostPosted: 09 May 2017, 21:11 

Mistral wrote:
Very odd. :shock:

I think so too

PostPosted: 09 May 2017, 21:57 

Surely someone on this forum can assist?

PostPosted: 10 May 2017, 08:18 

Come to Lanseria International Airport,they have guided tours for foreigners here and plane spotters from all over the world very accommodating.I would suggest you also visit the Museum of Military History as MARS Mentioned..when you here I suggest you still go to Swartkops AFB and try still get in at the main gate.

Telephone:
Tel: +27 11 367 0300
Fax: +27 11 701 3261
Email Address: info@lanseria.co.za

That's why it's called the present.

PostPosted: 10 May 2017, 08:51 
Site Admin

Take a South African with you and let them speak to the guard at the main gate. :twisted:

PostPosted: 11 May 2017, 17:44 

Thanks a lot Gents,
My priority is Zwartkop as I am a bit nut about Mirage and other families like the Cheetahs. I am also planning to built a Cheetah E with the HPM Mirage Base model and the different bits to make a E, we have pretty much everything, except a specific nose, so I will have to scratch built it, no problems here, not too difficult...and if I have enough details, maybe Chris from HPM will decide to propose a Cheetah E with everything need in the box?
My Cheetah D, also from HPM, is in the painting stage, so to see one there would help me making sure I didn't miss some obvious details.
Cheers.
Michel

PostPosted: 11 May 2017, 21:12 

Kangourou

Regarding the Cheetah models that you want to build, I would suggest Scaleworx as the best Cheetah conversion kit model maker.

They offer the complete range of Cheetah models.

We can discuss this at a later stage

Geoff

PS. I do have some HPM Cheetah models and have built a number of the Scaleworx Cheetahs

PostPosted: 12 May 2017, 18:33 

Hi Kangourou

A pity you didn't go to Zwartkop for the Airshow last Saturday. You could have entered all the hangars as they were all open as far as I could see!

Anyway, the only "real" Mirage in the Hangars is the Mirage III in natural metal finish. All others are basically in the open, protected by a roof only. So you should be able to get some pictures.

Good luck.

PostPosted: 12 May 2017, 20:02 

Airfire wrote:
Come to Lanseria International Airport,they have guided tours for foreigners here and plane spotters from all over the world very accommodating.

Telephone:
Tel: +27 11 367 0300
Fax: +27 11 701 3261
Email Address: info@lanseria.co.za

Hi Airfire

First I have heard of this, can I ask you to elaborate. Are you allowed to take camera's along, and where do they take you?

I am really surprised, given all the comments on Avcom about security and access.