The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 10 Jul 2020, 13:40

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 28 Mar 2018, 13:49 

No, I don't seal them. They are the last thing I apply to a model.
I feel that exhaust stains and the like are more realistic as sooth is nothing else than powder in a way.
I have never tried washes myself as I'm quite happy with my method.
Personally I also don't do any pre- or postshading. Besides I think a lot of aircraft models are over weathered. I think a lot of this comes from armour modelling where this is normal.
However, I doubt if a pilot would want to fly in an aircraft that looks as if it was not used for years.

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2018, 21:27 

You might have thought that you will never see progress on this. And I have to admit sometimes I think so as well.
However after an extremely long time I more than a roll of Tamiya masking tape the mail camouflage colours and Markings have now been sprayed on. The yellowish colour is my interpretation of Giallo Mimmetico. I have also come to the conclusion after a lot of photo studies that the camourflage shown on the new Airfix 1/72 model is not correct. In some photos you can see the leading edge of both wings and they clearly show the bright and dark colour separation. There is almost no difference between the RLM 70 and RLM 71. This is also ot easy to distinguish the two colours on the model.
You can see the model on the baseplate with the many single parts that are now to be added to it in stages.
This will of course take some more time.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2018, 08:39 
Site Admin

:smt023 =D>

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2018, 08:52 

That is Illustrious

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2018, 16:46 

Interesting colours. It's looking good. Are those the kit decals ?

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2018, 09:14 

Sorry for not answering that long.
The airshow season was the main reason that kept me away.

To your question: No, these are not decals at all. I made myself some masks for the German crosses and the snake. In this scale I don't believe in decals. And all the German markings have straight lines so it is easy. The advantage is also that you don't have to care about decals conforming to the surface. Paint always does.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2018, 21:45 

Illustrious wrote:
Sorry for not answering that long.
The airshow season was the main reason that kept me away.

To your question: No, these are not decals at all. I made myself some masks for the German crosses and the snake. In this scale I don't believe in decals. And all the German markings have straight lines so it is easy. The advantage is also that you don't have to care about decals conforming to the surface. Paint always does.

:smt023 my philosophy as well. Paint better than decals wherever possible.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2018, 09:07 

I thought I post some update before the model is complete, even though this may still take a while. Lot of small stuff to add.

The engine with some added piping

The main obvious difference between the B-1 and B-2 are the adjustable radiator outlet flaps of the B-2.

This is a rather complicated mechanical arrangement of a hydraulic cylinder in the middle, that pushes a lever.. That lever is connected to the next one by a rod and so on. Each lever has a hole into which another rod that connects to the flap is fitted.
The Model as supplied by Airfix doesn't show this at all. It is more representative of the B-1which has no radiator flaps.

This is how it looks added to the No. 1 Former that is fitted to the engine. The big hole in the middle is for the coolant pipe to the radiator to pass trough.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2018, 18:32 

Very nice :smt023 =D>

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2018, 15:33 

A short update of recent work

I added the antenna cable from the mast and the armour plate behind the pilot that ws applied in the filed to the fixed canopy part..

There were also some additions to the gunners canopy. There is sliding window on the left side of the canopy that isn't present on the kit. Also missing is the "Zurrbügel", basically moveable piece of pipe to which the machine gun is fixed when the aircraft is not in combat. This prevented the gun from swinging around the cockpit uncontrolled. For fixing it to the Zurrbügel it needed to be in a specific position. To turn it there was a handle on the round armoured window part.

After I had taken the photo I noticed the ejector pin marks. However, when I tried to check on the actual model I couldn't find them anymore. That is the problem with digital pictures, you can see more than with the naked eye. Especially when the picture is larger than the original.

That is how it looks form the outside. You can see the position of the stowed machine gun.
Final assembly of the rest is coming closer.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2018, 10:08 

A short update is due

I have started to weather part of the model.

This is the underside of the Stuka. Eagle eyed will notice the missing tailwheel. I broke this off for the third time despite the fact that I inserted a steel core into the shaft.

I also started on the upper surfaces. The tail planes and the left wing are weathered and blended.

The right wing and fuselage is still to be done. As I use pastels exclusively, the fuselage wil be last after I have fixed the model to the base.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2018, 09:36 

Looking very very good.

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2018, 13:32 

Another short update before I can finally complete this build

A detail missing from most models of the Ju 87 are the diving angle marks on the right canopy window

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2018, 13:36 

Another detail is the antenna where it attaches to the tail.

There is a small bracket to which the tensioning spring attaches. In front of that are the antenna eggs as the germans called them.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2018, 13:22 

I have finally completed my Stuka. What I expected to take one year has now almost taken 3years.
Here come a few pics of the complete model

As you can see I added the crank for starting the engine.

The engine from the right side. The rods dangling down bedind the radiator are connecting rods for the cooling flaps of the radiator fairing.

An overall view from the right. The gun acccess covers were connected to the airframw with a strap, so they couldn't be removed.

A frontal view with all the covers and bombs in view.

View from the left.

Finally, to protect all this delicate items, I built a case around the whole thing. So no damage to any part will be done by vigorous dusting.

Now I'm ready for the next model. I might finally get to finish my Mosquito PR. XVI conversion of 60 Squadron SAAF that has been laying on my workbench for years because of a lack of a suitable canopy.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next