The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 10 Jul 2020, 15:15

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 02 Oct 2016, 12:11 

Finally I finished the firewall with the improved detail. Most noticeable on it are the fuel filters and the oil tahk on top for the hydraulic system.
Strangely Airfix has moulded the filters in different sizes which is wrong. They served the right and left fuel tanks which were located in the stub wings.

I also added some of the linkage adn the connectors for the different hosepipes and cables that will be added once the engine is in

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2016, 07:41 

Looks great!!

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2016, 22:18 

Just to show that the build is still ongoing. I'm now in theprocess of rerivetting the whole model which is going to take ages. It feels like millions. In fact, each tailplane has 1000 rivets. After doing this for two hours everything gets blurred.
Anyway, i finished the rudder. The Stuka is special in that it doesn't just have a trim tab, but also an auxiliary rudder as the Germans called it. This moves in the opposite direction of the rudder and so helps keeping the load on the pilots legs down.

I have not yet glued these two parts to the rudder as they need painting first. That is why they don't line up well in the pictureI also replaced the position lamp with a piece of clear sprue to make it more realistic.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2016, 20:40 

After what seems a very long time, there is some progress to report again. It is not so that I didn't do anything, but there is lots of work and little to show.
I have now completed the tailplanes with elevators. I modified them in a way so I can assemble them after painting.
I also created separate trimtabs. The kit lets you pose the elevator but not the tabs which makes no sense.
And of course finally to create the 2500 rivets on both tailplanes. You get dizzy doing that!

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2016, 20:44 

I also created a new Outlet flap for the oil cooler and riveted the whole upper engine cover
The ugly red colour of the plastic comes from one of my sources for sheet plastic, the covering lid of big washpowder drums.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2016, 20:51 

And the final one for today.
I decided to modify the kit radiator to have it a bit more accurate. I removed everything except the outside frame and rebuild the shutters and the linkage for the shutters. Interesting detail is that the 2 leftmost shutters have their linkage on the inside.
Removing all the inside meant that I had to rebuild the radiator face as well.

I wish you all a very happy new year and lots of models and the time to build them!

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2016, 11:31 

This is looking very good indeed!

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2017, 19:09 

After working quietly for a long time I thought a little update is in order-
I'm still in the process of re rivetting the whole model.

The two fuselage halves and one wing is done. I made myself a template from a strip of Brass sheet.
Into this I drilled two rows of 0,5 mm holes. That alone took me hours.
Even with the template it takes ages and your eyes get tired after a while

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2017, 19:17 

I also got the Oil cooler ready. I modified the two in- and outlet pipes to something more realistic.
I also added the mounting brackets as in reality this part is attached to the engine mounts.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2017, 19:25 

Coming closer to the crew area of the aircraft.
I decided to modify the Radios a bit to make them look more realistic. They were hanging in a frame in the original. so I cut them out of the original part and mounted them as per the original. I also created some custom Decals for them.
Another thing missing from the model is the oxygen system. This is strange as Airfix included this part in their Me 109 model. So I scratch buildt the missing parts as they are very noticeable in the cockpit

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2017, 19:36 

Finally I got the left fuselage ready.
I added the gasmask container and the map case underneath the morse key whcih was also replaced by something more like the original. The biggest change was to the radio boxes. Airfix supplies this as a big box when in reality it is 3 parts. I also added the hydraulic valves and pipes in front of the instrument panel as they can be seen past the rudder pedals.
Another modificaton is the winch for the trailing antenna. According to Airfix it is stuck to the floor when in reality it is attached to the side of the cockpit. The gunners floor by the way is made of plywood which is the reason why it is light brown where it is worn at the pedal for elevating the gunners seat.

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2017, 14:42 

Wow!

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2017, 20:01 

Lovely detail =D>

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2017, 19:12 

After a long time an update on this slow build is due.
I finally finished the right fuselage half
The main obvious difference is te shape of the storage bag for spent amunition and drums. Contrary to Airfix interpretation this is not just a hanging bag, but firmly fixed to the fuselage. Just imagine what a free hanging bag full of amunitino drums would do to a gunner in a dogfight.
The other additins are the oxygen breating device and the extra amunition drum carriers which fit in thse two strange holes that Airfix just left as holes.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2017, 18:46 

And the pilots part with the prominent electrical panel.

Now I'm left with the Instrument panel and the seats

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next