The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 11 May 2024, 20:33

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2011, 18:33 

Heris my AcademyMinicraft 1/72 Dassault Super Etandard.I think the family resemblance to the F-1 is clearly visable :)

It is a very nice kit I must say, the fuselarge fit only needed a little filler ans sanding, the wingroot fit might be close enough to need only a bit of paint run into the joint [-o<

I am very happy with the quality of the kit and the detail for the scale, the UC bays and airbrakes are nicely done.
The decals are however a let-down as the printing is not centered or very clear on the national insignea :? There are decals for the Argintine (Falklands conflict) and the French Aero Naval.

I will be doing the French bird as I have extra Aero Naval roundals. The kit also comes with a nice Exorcett missle and drop tanks.

Cockpit could do with a bit more detail, so I will make a HUD and "go-fast" lever.
All of this for R90-00 I think it is a nice out the box build :D

Theuns
PS. the main reason for this subject is that it is a nice easy paint sceeme for my simple "el-cheapo" airbrush :lol:

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2011, 16:08 

Shaping up to be a great build, looking forward to the next update.

Cheers
Brenden

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2011, 18:22 

It looks as if my "paint in the joints" was enough to seal the fine gaps of the wingroots, so as soon as it's fully cured I will do some final sanding and then start to hang "stuff" from the wings.

I have the option of going with either two droptanks or one tank and one Exorcett anti-shipping missle.

Just looked at some you-tube French Aero Naval stuff, and the Super Etandard features highly still.Interesting that it had no catapult link on the nose gear like the F-18's but had to be shot with a cable.

Theuns

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2011, 08:05 

Hi Theuns,

Nice kit, and looking good so far. I have one in a similar state, and its a nice kit. Found the decals a bit crappy though, but luckily a friend of mine had an aftermarket Tiger-meet set for mine. Hoping to learn from your build.

Cheers
John

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2011, 17:02 

Since I will be "very buzy for the next month or so :wink: " I started on the SE again. After all the sanding was completed I thought the plane looked to bland and toy-like so I cut off the flaps and reglued them on in the down position to look a tad more "real"

Hoping to get some paint on next weekend. I just need to figure out what shade of blue to get as the kit is rather vaque in this area :?

Theuns
PS that Tiger meet sceeme must be stunning!

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2012, 16:40 

OK, so here is the finally completed Super Etandard.
The plane is supose to be one operated of the carrier Clemenceau of the Aero Naval (French Navy air wing)

All was nice except for the UC main gear doors that didn't fit well and the very off centre decals typical of some older Academy kits. I used spare roundals.

Paints are Humbrol and the post shading on the white underside (a tad heavy though :oops: ) was done with drybrush pastels.

You can clearly see the "Dassault lines" of this plane and I think it would have looked darn nice with SAAF castles on it :wink:

Now, on the the Cheetah! (man I hate sanding and filling :lol: )

Theuns

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2012, 18:28 

T. van Vuuren wrote:
OK, so here is the finally completed Super Etandard.
The plane is supose to be one operated of the carrier Clemenceau of the Aero Naval (French Navy air wing)

All was nice except for the UC main gear doors that didn't fit well and the very off centre decals typical of some older Academy kits. I used spare roundals.

Paints are Humbrol and the post shading on the white underside (a tad heavy though :oops: ) was done with drybrush pastels.

You can clearly see the "Dassault lines" of this plane and I think it would have looked darn nice with SAAF castles on it :wink:

Now, on the the Cheetah! (man I hate sanding and filling :lol: )

Theuns

That's really a great looking Etendard. Great job :smt023 . I like the asymmetrical load of Exocet and tank - Exocet caused all sorts of troubles during the "tanker war" in the Gulf care of Iraqi F1s.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2012, 18:43 

Indeed they did, aswell as some damage to USN frigat IIRC.
Also don't forget the 3 Exocets fired by the Argintine Navy that hit either the Sir Galahad or the HMS Couventry (don't recall wich one)

Theuns

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2012, 19:22 

T. van Vuuren wrote:
OK, so here is the finally completed Super Etandard. You can clearly see the "Dassault lines" of this plane and I think it would have looked darn nice with SAAF castles on it :wink:

"SAAF castles on it".

Ja swaer, a Squadron of them on the deck of the SA Navy carrier SAS Hugo Bierman (well respected Chief of the SA Navy in the old days). 8)

BTW the Clemenceau carrier or "Le Clem" was well known for the following advert -

- http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xsez_p ... sa-gti_ads

Lovely model of the Super Etendard. :smt023

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2012, 19:42 

I have a 1/48 old Heller kit of the Etandard that was sold to me as a Super Etandard. It would have been a nice build but the seller included the unusable canopy and crumbling decals, so it is not a viable option.
But then again, maybe a SAAF Etandard..........

T

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2012, 21:14 

Hi T,

Eventually you have had a chance to build the Super Etendard!

Very nice build,well done!

G

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2012, 22:24 

T. van Vuuren wrote:
Indeed they did, aswell as some damage to USN frigat IIRC.
Also don't forget the 3 Exocets fired by the Argintine Navy that hit either the Sir Galahad or the HMS Couventry (don't recall wich one)

Theuns

Air launched Exocets sunk the Sheffield and Atlantic Conveyor. Ground based Exocet on the island damaged Glamorgan. Sir Galahad was hit by bombs from A-4 skyhawks and damaged beyond repair.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2012, 10:53 

Great one Theuns !!! She looks sweet :smt023 \:D/

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2012, 15:50 

Nice work Theuns. =D>

Ofcourse you have set the bar rather high now, and the Cheetah E will have to be on par. :mrgreen:

Cheers
John

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2012, 10:16 

Nice model Theuns. =D>