The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 14 Jul 2020, 21:25

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2020, 10:29 

I'm back building in my favourite scale of 1/72.

I chose to start on the Airfix Whitley

When I opened the box I got so carried away that before long many of the main assemblies were together. This is helped by the models unorthodox breakdown into parts which however are done in a clever way. The fit of parts so far was Tamiya quality and most assembly was done using Tamiya etxra thin cement.

There are a few ejector pin marks that need filling, although most are in hidden places.
The wing centre section also has a few sink marks that were filled before starting the assembly.

I deviated from the instructions by completing sections in a way that they could be painted more easily. That meant more masking work, but made painting more efficient.

Airfix supply all that is necessary for the cockpit. You won't be able to see much more anyway after the canopy is in place.

I was tempted to display the navigators table with the map Airfix supplies as a decal. However, as the table is folded for take off and landing, I modelled it that way.

What is amazing is the detail Airfix included that can't be seen once the model is complete.
The whole centre section walkway will be completely invisible once the fuselage is closed.

The engine nacelles and wing spars have enough detail right out of the box

By contrast, the landing light in the right wing is just a hole, so I decided to box it in.

Last edited by Illustrious on 12 Apr 2020, 12:50, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2020, 15:49 
Site Admin

Great start. =D>

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2020, 19:51 

Nice :D . I like the new Airfix kits. I also have a thing for early WWII British aviation. Totally useless along with the likes of the Defiant, Battle and Hampden but make for interesting subject matter. Looking forward to the rest of your build :smt023

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2020, 12:35 

@ Mistral: I wouldn't say useless, they were simply overtaken by the technical development. Some like the Defiant, (which is another one of the other new Airfix I have built) were the result of strange thinking by the responsible Air Staff. But this was the same in all countries at the time.

Only a short update today as postimagewhere I host my pictures is doing maintenance.

The engine nacelles assembly as given by Airfix is a bit strange. In step and 34 they have you glue the engine nacelles and firewall together. In the next step you have to insert the Gallay radiators from the front. It works but it is a bit tedious. I would recommend leaving the firewall off and only glue the two engine halves together. That way you can insert the radiators from behind which is much easier as you can push them into position compared to the Airfi way where yyou have to pull them from the front, after treading them trough the hole.
I also left the radiator flap off to be inserted afterwards as this would ease the sanding process. I just glued the front half together as I wasn't sure how good the nacelles would fit the wing recesses. I thought if necessary I could always spread them a bit. However this was unnecessary.

I part assembled the rear fuselage before painting.

The walkway is a bit to narrow at the back where it has a step over the tailplane attachment. Be careful not to put any glue there as it will draw the fuselage sides together, making the addition of the top part almost impossible.

I liked the way Airfix designed the small windows as one big transparency that is easy to glue in without messing the windows up.

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2020, 12:38 

Continuing with the wing, attaching the engine nacelles was next.

The are a very good fit it you do some dry fitting first. Actually very little filler is used in the whole thing as you can see on the left engine that is in place already.

The front fuselage is also ready and waiting to join the wing.

While everything is drying, I started with the tailplanes and here I hit the first snag. The slot into which the tailplanes fit is about 0.5 mm bigger than the tab. So you need to glue a 0.25 mm thick sheet to each side.

I planned on fittingthe tailplanes to the rear fuselage before fitting that to the wings. However, I have now changed my mind and wait with fitting until the rear fuselage and the wings are together. That way I can make sure that the wings and tailplanes line up in case there is another snag somewhere

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2020, 08:45 

Great work there.

Love the awkwardness of the Whitley. This kit is definitely on my wishlist one day.

I think the new Airfix kits are just great. The detail is excellent, the fit is really good and for me the plastic that they use is great. Dont know if it's the same as always, but it does feel different to me.

I recently build their Phantom FG.1 in 1/72. Not a scale I usually build but man did I have fun. Slightly over engineered in some places I feel, but overall probably one of the nicest kits I have ever build. Top 5.

Have fun with the build, looking forward to seeing more.

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2020, 19:45 

The front fuselage is on and the fit is quite good after a bit of probing and scraping minute amounts of plastic.

The next thing is the rear part of the fuselage and I have to say it looks as if that one was designed by a different team. I mentioned the walkway that fouled the fit of the rear fuselage halves. When I tried to fit the rear fuselage to the wings, I had a 1 mm gap at the left wingroot. The culprit was again the walkway, having been cemented on both sides of the fuselage as per the instructions.

So using a saw, I cut off the walkway from the left fuselage half and inserted some plastic sheet to widen the fuselage so it fits the gap between the wings.

I also noticed that there was no positive location between the wingroot and the fuselage, so I added two tabs from plastic sheet to the wings on which the fuselage will rest when gluing it.

With these changes the fit now looked much better and I glued it together. To hold it in place while the glue dried, I used some heavy iron (literally) and hope that all is well.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2020, 19:23 

Looking :smt023

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2020, 12:48 

While the fuselage and Wings were hopefully drying in the correct position, I assembled the tailplanes. Here you have to modify the mating area on the horizontal parts to which the vertical parts are joined. Strangely enough they are not straight as they should be, but are slightl curved. I filed them straight so they fit nicely with the vertical part. I also deepened the groove into which the rudder will fit later.

This also permitted me to fill and sand them while they were still single parts and therefore a manageable size.

When I unclamped the fuselage I had some gaps as expected, but the trailing edges of the wings and fuselage parts matched up well. The gaps were only 0.25 mm so I could fill them easily with microstrip. The wing to fuselage joint is actually better than it appears on the picture. The grey is a trace of Gunze Surfacer that makes it appear as if there is a large gap that needed filling. Talking about Gunze, does anyone know if things like Gunze Surfacer are available in SA?

Now the tailplanes are also glued on and only need blending in. Actually the fit is good thanks to the added card pieces as described earlyer. All the big parts are now together and I will have to concentrate on the smaller additions like turrets that need some additional details. I suspect that the smaller items will need more time than the big ones.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2020, 14:14 

That looks really nice. I like the surface detail. :smt023

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2020, 20:09 

As the flaps as supplied look a bit flat, I buildt them up a bit.

One of the tricky parts of that kit is the undercarriage. The fork that supports the main gear legs is difficult to locate inside the nacelle. There is also no positive location where it goes on the main legs. So I decided some micro engineering is in order. I drilled holes into the front of the fork and into the main legs to give some added strenght as the whole assebly is a bit weak otherwise.

I used 0,4 mm copper wire for the connection. Copper is strong enough if glued in place, but you can still bend it a bit without breaking the plastic to which it is attached. The assembled gear is actually not glued together yet, it is just held by the copper wire.
I use copper quite a lot, as it is also easy to solder.

All the Clear Parts are on now and they fit rather well, especially the main canopy.

Strange is that Airfix forgot the two holes that are needed to fit the DF loop fairing. They also don't show anywhere else in the instructions which is strange, as normally all the holes are shown. The location is a bit vague as the different plans don't seem to agree on the position of DF loop and the masts.
Now I need some time to do all the masking.

PostPosted: 16 May 2020, 19:21 

A short update is due.
I have now come as far as it is possible to go without heading to a shop to buy some paints

Although I have been using acrylic paints for a long time, I was forced to revert to my leftover stock of enamels. I still had a tin of more than 20 years old precision paints roundel blue and a roundel red from white ensign models that I used. However, there is no yellow in my stock that can be used for the roundels, so I have to wait until the lockdown is eased so far that it lets me go out and replenish.

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2020, 22:17 

At last I managed to get some paints via a model railway shop!
So I can proceed with the build.
Having now masked all the markings, I can give it a go with the camouflage colours.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2020, 19:29 

Nice :smt023

How did you cut your lettering masks ?

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2020, 11:56 

Some years back I bought a cutting plotter together with a friend of mine.
It is easier than cutting the masks manually, although you need to draw them in a special graphics program that comes with the plotter. This takes quite some time to do especially if you need special shapes like letters. The smallest you can go is the serial number which is 3 mm high.