The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 12:29

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 31 Aug 2018, 17:19 

Work on the nose was definitely worth it =D> . She looks like a proper AZ now. Keep it going! Looks like you are going with the delivery scheme?

Keep your feet on the ground, and reach for the skies!

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2018, 13:44 

Many thanks Mamba. My mirage is sleeping for awhile, because of moving and new work.
I wanted to finish this kit for local kit show, but it's gonna be on next weekend.. I don't have any of my modeling stuffs at flat. I will bring all of them this weekend, but I don't want to hurry this project up.. Most probably I'll take part only with my Aussie spitfire and finish mirage after that event.
Last weekend, there was E-day = championship of the Czech Republic which I visited. As a member of BFC Club, I had free entry and also received free kit (1:144 scale Avia B-534). I managed to purchase Eduard limited edition Avia S-99 (Bf-109G-10 in post-war Czechoslovakia) and also Italeri Impala in 1/48 for great 175R \:D/ thankfully I am poor after moving to New flat and I couldn't purchase more :lol:
And last surprise after arrival home was package from England with decal sheet made by Alleycat :smt023

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2018, 11:19 

I managed to find some time during this week. I glued ejection seat and canopy in place. Canopy needed some surfacer 500. I also painted lower surfaces in base gray-blue yesterday. Today I am planning to make some post shading on lower surfaces. Hopefully there'll be enough time.
Exhaust nozzle is painted with Gunze C8 and C104 and some variation added with Tamiya clear blue, clear red and smoke.

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2018, 06:49 

Next step :smt023

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2018, 22:26 

Another step forward. I applied few coats of gray-blue

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2018, 07:21 
Site Admin

Coming together nicely. :smt023

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2018, 13:22 

I managed to find some time to continue on this project. I masked some datails and began with dark earth color.
Now there's stromy behind this color. It's almost winter and I am coming back home when it's dark. I used equivalent of humbrol 29 using Tamiya XF-52. Out of the bottle, color seemed to dark so I made mixture 1:1 with XF-55 Deck tan. Unfortunately Tamiya acrylics get darker when applied and artificial light didn't help either.
So my opinion, after morning photo on natural light, is that color is too dark. I am going to do some dots and shading techniques so I there will be no repairs now. As blending color, I will use something much more lighter, possibly XF-55 Deck tan + few drops of XF-52 Flat Earth.

I can't wait for finishing this project. I love the build of this bird, but I hate it when it gets too slow...
I shall finish another started project before starting anything new. Some votes for new project would be welcomed:
Eduard Spitfire Mk. VIII 1/48 (Aussie Eight)
Eduard Spitfire Mk. XVI 1/48 (SAAF Bubble top)
Eduard Avia S-99 1/48 (Czechoslovak police unit Bf 109G-10)

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2018, 14:39 

patrikf wrote:
I shall finish another started project before starting anything new. Some votes for new project would be welcomed:
Eduard Spitfire Mk. VIII 1/48 (Aussie Eight)
Eduard Spitfire Mk. XVI 1/48 (SAAF Bubble top)
Eduard Avia S-99 1/48 (Czechoslovak police unit Bf 109G-10)

None of the above. Go for a SAAF Mirage III !!!! :D

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2018, 08:54 

You mean go for something just like this? :? :lol:

I also have another one in my stash with few "stuffs"

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2018, 13:08 
Site Admin

Now we're talking!

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2018, 14:31 

Dean wrote:
Now we're talking!

Agreed. But first, I want to see this F1 finished!

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2018, 19:53 

patrikf wrote:
You mean go for something just like this? :? :lol:

I also have another one in my stash with few "stuffs"

Good man :smt023 :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2018, 21:17 

+ 1 :!: :!: :!: :D :smt023

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2018, 09:43 

So yesterday it was a busy day. I managed to find some time for my mirage again. I had some problems with my airbrush, but Tamiya airbrush cleaner was a great help :mrgreen:
So after some evaluation, I simply used Tamiya buff out of a bottle and get a color a was hoping to get. I am really happy that I used color out of a bottle because it will be much easier to repair some oversprays. My plans are to prepare masking today. I will be preparing wood for winter whole weekend, but I will try to find some time in Sunday for green :D after that, I will spray walk-lines and strips of protective paint.
If everything will go well, I will apply also Gunze super clear GX100 and let it dry. In next week I would like to start with decals. It will be mix of OOB Special Hobby decals, MAV Decals and custom made roundels and serials (doesn't have raster as MAV). After decals, there will be maybe strange move. Roundels will be oversprayed with Vallejo acrylic gloss coat (gold print could be eaten by Gunze clear coat),than light coat of base color to tone them down. Than Gunze super clear on all surfaces, Tamiya panel liners and Matt coat. Plenty of work on something small like this :lol:

In the mean time, I am playing with my 1:1 project, most of you will know what it is :)

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2018, 12:34 

patrikf wrote:
So yesterday it was a busy day. I managed to find some time for my mirage again. I had some problems with my airbrush, but Tamiya airbrush cleaner was a great help :mrgreen:
So after some evaluation, I simply used Tamiya buff out of a bottle and get a color a was hoping to get. I am really happy that I used color out of a bottle because it will be much easier to repair some oversprays. My plans are to prepare masking today. I will be preparing wood for winter whole weekend, but I will try to find some time in Sunday for green :D after that, I will spray walk-lines and strips of protective paint.
If everything will go well, I will apply also Gunze super clear GX100 and let it dry. In next week I would like to start with decals. It will be mix of OOB Special Hobby decals, MAV Decals and custom made roundels and serials (doesn't have raster as MAV). After decals, there will be maybe strange move. Roundels will be oversprayed with Vallejo acrylic gloss coat (gold print could be eaten by Gunze clear coat),than light coat of base color to tone them down. Than Gunze super clear on all surfaces, Tamiya panel liners and Matt coat. Plenty of work on something small like this :lol:

In the mean time, I am playing with my 1:1 project, most of you will know what it is :)

The brown looks much better now! Are you going for the tan delivery scheme or a later darker brown buff?

Your 1:1 looks really interesting! Is it a Sig550?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next