The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 14 May 2024, 03:28

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2017, 11:07 

Hi Gents,

Here is my latest achievement, the 1/72 High Planes Cheetah D, and I am quite happy to get this one in my display case among other mirage or related. This is my first South African subject and I expect to have many more.
The box comes with the HPM-PJ plastic sprues, plus some resins, photo-etch and the decals.

Not much to say about the built, just that it needs some steady hands and magnifiers for people like me with a not so great eyesight as some parts are pretty tiny !
The sprues used here are from the first production batch, so with the rather heavy panel lines. The new release are now supplied with the “revised tooling” sprues, with much finer details.
The biggest challenge I had here is to find the right info and photo details about such aircraft, as the Cheetah twin-seats could be made from different airframes, IIIDZ, IIID2Z and Neshers, so based on what I saw on the great SAAF forum, DZ gave Cheetah Ds, D2Z gave Cheetah D2, and Cheetah B when made from Neshers...Also it seems there were many upgrades made during the life of the planes.
I scratchbuilt this kinda big TV seating on top of the rear cockpit instrument panel.

I really enjoyed building it and love this “Badass” look.

I hope you enjoy the pics guys !

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2017, 14:08 

Bad@ss indeed, the early grey Cheetahs had a very ominous look to them. You have captured the look well.

I can't wait to get mine built up.

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2017, 14:37 

MARS wrote:
Bad@ss indeed, the early grey Cheetahs had a very ominous look to them. You have captured the look well.

I can't wait to get mine built up.

Thanks Mars :D

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2017, 15:20 

Great build :smt023 =D> . Love the Cheetah D. Your next one can be the upgraded one with clear single piece windshield and strengthened undercarriage :wink: . I personally, am waiting for a 32nd scale one !!!

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2017, 10:47 

Mistral wrote:
Great build :smt023 =D> . Love the Cheetah D. Your next one can be the upgraded one with clear single piece windshield and strengthened undercarriage :wink: . I personally, am waiting for a 32nd scale one !!!

Thanks Malcolm, :D

Well, no worries for the single piece windshield, I have plenty of them as spare, but not sure about the strengthened undercarriage, is it that obvious on the aircraft? will the difference would be noticeable in 1/72? and are there plenty of photos of details of such upgrade?

I quickly saw one of my Boss today, the one who asked me to go to Richards Bay few months ago. He's back from overseas and was in a hurry, but just told me he got some good feedback about the job we have done at Richards Bay...might have to travel back there... \:D/
Would mean a stop over in Jo'burg of course !

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2017, 12:11 

The Cheetah C had the upgraded main undercarriage which had a very different gear door configuration. Not sure if the Ds were the same. Will have to look at the D at Swartkop.

If you do come back to SA, you must visit the War Museum in Jhb. :smt023

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2017, 12:16 

Just checked. Yes the upgraded Ds had the C-type main gear arrangement. The main door has an added bit and the side doors next to the legs consist of two sections. Do a web search on images and you can see the difference between early and late Ds. Try this link - shows both D versions :

http://www.sa-transport.co.za/aircraft/ ... eetah.html

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2017, 08:53 

Mistral wrote:
Just checked. Yes the upgraded Ds had the C-type main gear arrangement. The main door has an added bit and the side doors next to the legs consist of two sections. Do a web search on images and you can see the difference between early and late Ds. Try this link - shows both D versions :

Hi Malcolm, thanks for the link. I think this kind of mods on the main gear doors are from an Israeli design, the Chilean Panteras has it too, and of course some Kfir. High Planes as them in resins, so all good here. Just not sure about the landing gears, is that very obvious they have been modified?

The War museum in JB is on my list too of course, would be great if I could visit it too. What I would like to do is to be at the Swartkop museum when they have this monthly show, could give a hand of course, and would have plenty of time to take some great pics. I have been asked by a magazine if I had enough photos taken during my last visit to make a report on this magazine..unfortunately no, maybe next time I hope.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2017, 21:31 

Kangourou wrote:
Mistral wrote:

Hi Malcolm, thanks for the link. I think this kind of mods on the main gear doors are from an Israeli design, the Chilean Panteras has it too, and of course some Kfir. High Planes as them in resins, so all good here. Just not sure about the landing gears, is that very obvious they have been modified?

The War museum in JB is on my list too of course, would be great if I could visit it too. What I would like to do is to be at the Swartkop museum when they have this monthly show, could give a hand of course, and would have plenty of time to take some great pics. I have been asked by a magazine if I had enough photos taken during my last visit to make a report on this magazine..unfortunately no, maybe next time I hope.

Flying day is the first Saturday of every month. Starts around 08h00.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2017, 11:56 

Mistral wrote:
Kangourou wrote:
Mistral wrote:

Flying day is the first Saturday of every month. Starts around 08h00.

Thanks Malcolm, will try my best to make my trip fit so that I will have one of this Saturday in Jo'burg !