The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:02

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 23 Apr 2017, 11:07 

Awesome stuff!!

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2017, 11:47 

Loving this build...good to see a 48 scale SAAF Lynx

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2017, 19:46 

Dankie manne :smt023

Some more progress.

Glad to say that the side clear panes go in as a nice tight fits. A bead of Tamiya super thin makes a good bond without clouding the clear part :

This time assembling the base, roof and side walls. Tight fit requiring no less than 4 clamps whilst glue sets :

I think this is where most folks who have built this kit have problems. I had to grind down the roof sides with a dremmel tool and sanding stick :

The resulting seam on the top of the fuselage. Should be no problem with to sort out with a bit of filler :

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2017, 19:51 

Now for the tricky part. The earlier Lynxes had the door windows oriented to have the long side in the horizontal position, whereas the SAAF birds have these in the vertical position. The windows look to be the same dimensions, just 90 degrees different on orientation. Maybe John can look at including corrected doors to take the kit windows in future Scaleworx releases.

Early Lynx :

SAAF Lynx :

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2017, 20:30 

Hey Mistral,

Mistral wrote:
The earlier Lynxes had the door windows oriented to have the long side in the horizontal position, whereas the SAAF birds have these in the vertical position. The windows look to be the same dimensions, just 90 degrees different on orientation.

Are you sure?

- http://www.saairforce.co.za/gallery-and-media/78/super-helicopter-300

Regards,
Stratobat

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2017, 20:08 

By George, you're right. Checked my photos as well. I guess this is what one calls a brain fart. :oops: :shock:

PostPosted: 01 May 2017, 16:25 

OK, ready to glue resin bits to plastic - I went with stock standard super glue bought at P'nP :

Nose - after gluing the fuselage together, need to take the front step (locator for the plastic nose) off with a razor saw. The resin mating surface must be sanded flat :

Faired in with some Perfect Plastic Putty :

Engine / MRGB cowling :

Joins are also treated to a smidgen of Perfect Plastic Putty - this stuff is lekker. Apply with a knife / spatula and then work the excess off with a wet Q-tip or finger.

PostPosted: 01 May 2017, 16:31 

Folded main rotor blades on the go. Blades are painted medium green. They have a very large wear strip at the front. Airfoil would have these and odd yellow-brown colour (decals). Pics I have of the SAN Lynxes seem to indicate that these strips are a bare metal colour so I went with an mix of Tamiya X-11 silver and Humbrol steel. I used the kit decals as a template to cut out Tamiya tape masks for the BERP tips :

I thought the cockpit consoles looked too bland so used various cut-up portions of the Airfix kit decals to simulate some instruments and switches :

I did the same to the instrument panel. It's quite bland with all those screens which are a dull green when powered down. I simulated the CRT switches using a lighter grey. Looks a bit rough but bearing in mind the pic is three times the size of the actual kit part, I'm happy :

PostPosted: 01 May 2017, 16:37 

More ScaleWorx resin parts going on.

The long aerodynamic strake on the left hand side of the tail boom - I assume this is to increase the main rotor downwash effect on the tail boom thus adding to extra yaw control :

Here's the towel rail antenna - HF I presume. I really like the way John got the scalloped shape right for the attachment screws. The round shaped ones are from the kit and I guess are VHF ?

Main landing gear sponson mounted RWRs :

Cabin mounted RWRs and the attachment points for the hoist :

Round antenna - I'm assuming this is side looking radar of sorts ? I also assume its connected to the main radar / nose avionics via the ventral duct

Here's the ventral duct :

Tail mounted RWR :

Anyway, lots of guessing going on - maybe someone in the know can confirm what the various bits and pieces are for.

PostPosted: 01 May 2017, 16:46 

Now then, time for some paint. Scaleworx suggests Humbrol H123 Dark Sea Grey - I had a tin of this but for some reason the stuff just remains tacky. Luckily I tried on a scrap piece of paper. So out with the Humbrol and in with the old faithful - Tamiya. I used XF-24 dark grey which is the Humbrol suggested equivalent. Once the base coat had been applied, I misted over a mix of 50% XF-24 / 50% X-1 white to lighten the grey and give some scale effect :

The yellow tape strips are the start of the masking of the intakes - these are black - anti icing I presume :

Here all the bits and pieces have been painted - the small intake surrounds are prominent in red, the towel rail antenna is silver with black posts, all other antennae are black, UHF silver and black, flotation covers are medium green :

Here's how it will look with folded blades :

Angle of blades pointing too high to the rear - the rotor hub clashes with the resin duct so I'll have to trim this :

White jobbie is (again I presume) the radar altimeter antenna :

PostPosted: 01 May 2017, 17:35 
Site Admin

Mistral wrote:

Round antenna - I'm assuming this is side looking radar of sorts ? I also assume its connected to the main radar / nose avionics via the ventral duct

The black "round antenna" is actually the emergency beacon which is ejected upon the airframe settling into the water.

Here is what it looks like with it removed:

PostPosted: 14 May 2017, 15:11 

Thanks Dean.

Decals from Scaleworx - I suspect ScaleWorx decals come from Mavdecals - they need to be treated to a coat of gloss varnish to seal the ink.

OK, so paint and decals on - slight weathering to darken panels using dark grey pastel and back enamel wash.

Decals are a combination of Scaleworx supplied decals and Airfix kit decals where required. These were worked onto the kit detail (lots of rivets) using a heavy dose of Microsol and earbud :

I thought this model would be quite bland in the single colour grey but there are many colour bits like the tail rotor and the SA flag to add interest :

Last edited by Mistral on 14 May 2017, 15:18, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 14 May 2017, 15:16 

Weathering was subtle as the SA Navy birds are really clean. Canopy is crystal clear and fits perfectly unlike most other choppers I've built :

Main rotor hub seems to be a slightly lighter grey, blessed are medium green :

PostPosted: 14 May 2017, 15:18 

Cockpit overhead panel :

PostPosted: 21 May 2017, 16:07 

Finished !! :D . Nice neat little model for the display cabinet.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next