The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:14

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 28 Feb 2017, 15:41 

I used Alclad II"s Airframe Aluminium, Chrome, Polished Aluminium and Gold Titanium - all of which are "High Shine" paints. The tonal difference between panels is quite subtle, which I was aiming for.

Buffing with the graphite powder achieved some lovely prismatic effects.

The overall proportion of the model looks right, even though it is empirically out by a couple of millimeters.

The plug in the fuselage left no trace, but what is interesting is how every scratch shows up in the finish. These actually add to the look however, and the randomness can hardly be planned. Although the number is a little thin for the fuselage, I am very pleased to be able to make my own decals at last.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2017, 16:15 
Site Admin

Beautiful, very very nice. =D>

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2017, 20:06 

Some detail shots.

And one can actually see into the cockpit - just!

The underside is largely taken up by the numbers. These turned out rather well despite the trouble with the masks. The oil streaking is a must for a healthy Spitfire!

The pointed wingtip extensions make the Mk VI, VII and VIII the prettiest of the Spitfires in my opinion. Interestingly, in the latest edition of the "Flypast" magazine there is an article which my dad passed on to me, all about the Mk VI and VII's. It concludes that the wingtips, which were designed for high altitude flight, were in fact less effective than the standard tips. Thank heavens the designers didn't know.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2017, 21:20 

Oh yes, exceptionally elegant :smt023 . =D>

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2017, 07:27 

Beautiful =D> :smt023

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2017, 09:51 

Beyond Awesome. Man, you guys make me feel bad. Speaking about Alclad, bit off topic, has the Alclad rattle can been released yet?

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2017, 00:38 

Hey Madmax,

Absolutely brilliant =D>

Thank you for the info RE Tamiya acrylics - Will give them a try :smt023

Could you go into more detail about how you made the custom decals?

Regards,
Stratobat

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2017, 06:47 

Stratobat wrote:

Could you go into more detail about how you made the custom decals?

Regards,
Stratobat

Agreed. I have tried to print on my Canon inkjet recently onto decal paper. The ink beads and pixelated badly. Must have one of the printer settings wrong....I need to do those 835 decals for my Mirage....

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2017, 19:44 

Thanks for the kind comments gents!

Regarding the home made decal - I am a novice and hardly qualified to comment, except to tell you what I did. I reduced a fairly large graphic to a very small size so it was a pretty "compressed" print. The printing itself was on a Canon inkjet printer, set to "Photo on Glossy Paper". I then let it dry for an hour or two, and lightly started the sealing process with clear gloss acrylic from a spray can. It needed a good couple of coats to produce a usable decal that didn't run and transferred properly. Hope that helps.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2017, 21:29 

Madmax wrote:
Thanks for the kind comments gents!

Regarding the home made decal - I am a novice and hardly qualified to comment, except to tell you what I did. I reduced a fairly large graphic to a very small size so it was a pretty "compressed" print. The printing itself was on a Canon inkjet printer, set to "Photo on Glossy Paper". I then let it dry for an hour or two, and lightly started the sealing process with clear gloss acrylic from a spray can. It needed a good couple of coats to produce a usable decal that didn't run and transferred properly. Hope that helps.

Ja, those are the settings I used. Maybe was to impatient and did not let the ink dry sufficiently.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2017, 18:03 

Hi Guys,

Where did you find the decal paper?

Regards,
Stratobat

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2017, 20:18 

Stratobat, as far as I can recall, either Aviation Shop or Jix. Many moons ago.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2017, 21:41 

Hi Mistral,

I visited the Aviation Shop in December and they did not have any in stock - I'll give Jix a call and see what I can turn up.

What programs are you guys using to generate the artwork?

Regards,
Stratobat

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2017, 19:07 

Stratobat wrote:
Hi Mistral,

I visited the Aviation Shop in December and they did not have any in stock - I'll give Jix a call and see what I can turn up.

What programs are you guys using to generate the artwork?

Regards,
Stratobat

Try Esswex Hobbies Stratobat. I got mine there. Any program will do, I used "photo" on my mac to clean up the scan of my own drawing. Word programs with different fonts should be useful too. Good luck, and do show and tell!

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2017, 18:55 

Hi Madmax,

Just checked Esswex's website and they have inkjet and laserjet water slide decal paper in clear and white listed as in stock.

I'll post some pictures when I get around to tackling the project I need the paper for (Revell 1/32 Messerschmitt BF-110) :smt023

Regards,
Stratobat

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next