The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 21:36

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: 25 Jan 2017, 08:23 

Bladerunner wrote:
Spice wrote:
How about some after market goodies for the Heller B-707 (1/72), Air Refuel Pods, ELINT Side Cheeks, and SOJ aircraft antenna and roof dome??
Spice, that is on the cards for this year, and I have the kit in my stash :wink:

Whoohoo, you will be my Hero for this(obviously only When Batman is no more).

Just got hold of the 707 and was trying to figure out what to do with it.

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2017, 08:23 

Good morning guys,

Glad you are excited about the 707 set :mrgreen:

MARS wrote:
Would you consider producing SAAF weapon sets (missiles, bombs, rails, and pods)?
Hmmm... I have started making some minor ordonance for some of my newer sets.
Is there really a market for SAAF weapons, that justifies researching, deciding on a scale (1/72; 1/48; 1/32), building masters and making moulds?
If there is enough interest, why not :wink:

Cheers,
John

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2017, 12:57 

Hi John

I think I can comment on behalf of all that follow this thread and Dean's 'Model Build SAAF' thread, to answer whether or not there is a market, well, that one will only see by a bit of 'enticement', may be followers should reply to this and indicate what we'd like to see. Some may be feasible others may be preclude based on the fact the market not being there.

One possible way - bar politics of hobby shop owners - would be to offer upgraded kits/weapons as a parcel with SAAF aircraft kits in their inventory - wishful thinking?

Thanks for all the time, effort and resources you spend on making us model SAAF aircraft with your conversion sets.

Much appreciated, and think we all can give you a great thumbs up :smt023 :smt023

Looking forward to the 707 items though \:D/ \:D/

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2017, 15:57 

Bladerunner wrote:
Good morning guys,

MARS wrote:
Would you consider producing SAAF weapon sets (missiles, bombs, rails, and pods)?
Is there really a market for SAAF weapons, that justifies researching, deciding on a scale (1/72; 1/48; 1/32), building masters and making moulds?

Cheers,
John

Hi John

To answer your question, yes I believe there is.

SAAF Weapons are unique and I would argue that the weapons are as interesting as the aircraft if not more so. Building a SAAF model without a weapon load-out is like building half a model, or telling half the story. For example what is a F1AZ without its 14 bomb load out, or a Cheetah without its missiles, or an impala without its rockets ,etc. SAAF weapons are what make SAAF subjects truly unique.

We now have a good spread of SAAF aircraft and decal options, the next area of development is accessories. Perhaps the term 'weapon sets' should be replaced with the term 'accessories'.

Using the Mirage F1AZ as an example. There is not much point in building a F1AZ if you can't load it out in a border war configuration or its later 14X MK81 load-out with V3C's. As a modeller if I wanted to build a F1 with 14X MK81's my options are as follows:
-Buy third party weapon sets (eg Hasegawa) or scavenge them from other kits.
-Or making scratch built masters and produce resin copies.
-Scratchbuild rails and missiles etc.

The above is time consuming and expensive to produce just for one model and would be limited to research available. Further the above would have to be repeated everytime you wanted to build a SAAF subject, say a Cheetah for example.

A further benefit of producing weapon sets/accessories is that it allows you to expand the range beyond subjects that require conversion. For example, there could be a interceptor set for the F1CZ with two Pythons and two V3's plus SAAF upgrades.

In terms of the weapons that could be produced one has to look no further than this website...
http://www.saairforce.co.za/the-airforce/weapons/out-of-service
http://www.saairforce.co.za/the-airforce/weapons/current
http://www.saairforce.co.za/the-airforce/weapons/in-development

The argument to the above is that the modeller's should scratch build and modify weapons and accessories as they wish. Which is a fair point, however the counter to that is that there are are very few shake and bake SAAF subjects. Building weapons and accessories is like building another model in its own right, its like putting in twice the effort for one model. As a result this is one area SAAF models tend to fall short, but also what makes them standout if the modeller puts in the extra effort.

Anyway, just my 2c's.

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2017, 16:39 

Hey MARS,

MARS wrote:
Buy third party weapon sets (eg Hasegawa) or scavenge them from other kits.

Is someone still importing Hasegawa kits in to the country?

Regards,
Stratobat

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2017, 11:19 

Last time I was in S Africa I asked this question, and was said NO, the volumes they request apparently too big and not enough market to meet their minimum order requirement.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2017, 17:00 

Bladerunner wrote:
Good morning guys,

MARS wrote:

Cheers,
John

48th scale please !

a) H2 bomb and guidance pod as used on the Buccs
b) Jamming pod as used on the Buccs
c) V3S Snake

I'm convinced someone will release a good spec 48th scale Buccaneer (TanModels announced their intention but maybe Airfix will beat them to it).

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2017, 20:19 

Stratobat wrote:
Hey MARS,

MARS wrote:
Buy third party weapon sets (eg Hasegawa) or scavenge them from other kits.

Is someone still importing Hasegawa kits in to the country?

Regards,
Stratobat

Spice wrote:
Last time I was in S Africa I asked this question, and was said NO, the volumes they request apparently too big and not enough market to meet their minimum order requirement.

Hi Stratobat

As Spice indicated the are currently no Hasegawa distributors in SA, all aftermarket Weapon/ accessory sets have to be imported. Hasegawa is expensive for everyone outside of Japan.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2017, 02:14 

Hi Guys,

Spice wrote:

MARS wrote:
As Spice indicated the are currently no Hasegawa distributors in SA, all aftermarket Weapon/ accessory sets have to be imported. Hasegawa is expensive for everyone outside of Japan.

That's a pity - they have some interesting subjects.

Currently building the Hasegawa 1/72 T-33A Shooting Star with the Thunderbirds decals. Apart from the raised detail, not a bad kit but I'm not looking forward to the decaling.

Mistral wrote:
I'm convinced someone will release a good spec 48th scale Buccaneer (TanModels announced their intention but maybe Airfix will beat them to it).

Build the Airfix kit (Again?) - then a new one will arrive sooner :twisted:

Regards,
Stratobat

Last edited by Stratobat on 29 Jan 2017, 02:30, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2017, 02:21 

I believe there is definitely a market for weapons "accessories" as well as items like the AZ centreline bomb pylon.

Definitely keen on the items that everyone has indicated on this thread.

[-o< [-o< [-o<

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2017, 19:21 

vlamgat16 wrote:
I believe there is definitely a market for weapons "accessories" as well as items like the AZ centreline bomb pylon.

Definitely keen on the items that everyone has indicated on this thread.

[-o< [-o< [-o<

Agreed on the centreline pylon but I'd like those sexy inboard 4 bomb/tank combos used for the F1 14-bomb config. Oh yes, and the inboard wing chaff dispenser... :wink:

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2017, 07:47 

Morning guys,

Your input is greatly appreciated.
One set that seems to be the clear leader, is the 14 bomb config for the F-1AZ. I have some info on this.
The H2 with comms pod seems popular too, and should be a problem.
The jamming pod carried by both F-1's and Buccaneers is also possible.
ill give these some serious consideration for 1/48 scale.

Cheers,
John

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2017, 07:32 

Bladerunner wrote:
Morning guys,

Your input is greatly appreciated.
One set that seems to be the clear leader, is the 14 bomb config for the F-1AZ. I have some info on this.
The H2 with comms pod seems popular too, and should be a problem.
The jamming pod carried by both F-1's and Buccaneers is also possible.
ill give these some serious consideration for 1/48 scale.

Cheers,
John

Maybe a bottle or two of the good stuff of your choice may "help" you with your "serious consideration" :D

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2017, 08:03 

vlamgat16 wrote:
Maybe a bottle or two of the good stuff of your choice may "help" you with your "serious consideration" :D
The good stuff won't be necessary :lol:
I'll tackle these when current projects are completed :wink:

Cheers,
John

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2017, 08:41 

Hi John, is there a slight possibility that there's a Turbodak 1/72 conversion set in the pipeline :mrgreen:
They are very scarce and bloody expensive to get hold off.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next