The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 18 Oct 2019, 01:54

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2012, 16:52 

Gents,

Does anyone know whether more than one version of Sabre was operated by the SAAF in Korea. Most pictures show the E version with the short cord wing and slats but in my old and trusty "Aircraft of the South African Air Force" (Hendrik Potgieter/Willem Steenkamp) I recently discovered the picture of Sabre "J" with the hard wing and the distinct short wing fence of an F30 Sabre on top of the wing. Might this be the only one? Also, did SAAF Sabres have the sharp kink or the rounded kink in the yellow band behind the canopy on the spine?
I'm asking because then I can merely build a standard Academy/Hasegawa F30 without any mods as Sabre "J".

Thanks and regards

Pierre

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2012, 07:37 

atc1225 wrote:
in my old and trusty "Aircraft of the South African Air Force" (Hendrik Potgieter/Willem Steenkamp) I recently discovered the picture of Sabre "J" with the hard wing and the distinct short wing fence of an F30 Sabre on top of the wing. Pierre

Hello Pierre
I looked very hard at that picture of Sabre J, flying next to a Meteor F8, I don't see a wing fence?
The SAAF used the Sabre F-86 F30 in Korea, and not E. The F model had a more powerful engine, and the first 200 or so came with the slatted wings.
I believe the SAAF did acquire a 6-3 winged Sabre as a replacement. The picture I saw is in IPMSSA gallery section, you will have to sign up to enter. Find your way to the F-86F section, to Album: Various, go to page 4 and look at jpeg, sabre_korea_14.jpg I see a fence on port wing of Lady of Lorette, code Q. The wing fence is in front of the chest of the guy sitting on the drop tank.

Regards
Jeffrey

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2012, 08:10 

The SAAF received the Sabre F-86F-30 version to replace the Mustangs. The Sabres were scheduled to receive the newly-developed "6-3" wing but apparently because of the need to get them into front line service, they went into SAAF service with the older slatted "non 6-3 wing". There is photographic evidence that the SAAF received at least one attrition replacement aircraft which was fitted with a "hard 6-3 wing" which I presume is the aircraft shown in the photograph that atc1225 is talking about

Hope this helps

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2012, 09:44 

Thanks guys, I wish I had a digital. I'm seemed sure i could make out the square fence on that Sabre. But then again it could have been an old coffee stain :lol: I do have the Cutting Edge short cord slatted wing conversion for the Hasegawa/Academy kit though so it seems I'll be using it then. Jeffreynic, I am signed in at IPMSSA so I'll have peep, thanks.

Regards

Pierre

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2012, 18:22 

vlamgat16 wrote:
There is photographic evidence that the SAAF received at least one attrition replacement aircraft which was fitted with a "hard 6-3 wing" which I presume is the aircraft shown in the photograph that atc1225 is talking about
Hope this helps

So I did a search, 616 Q "Lady of Lorette" was shot down on 21 July 1953 and was replaced by 622 Q "Lady of Lorette", the aircraft I mentioned in a picture, is the replacement 622 Q.
Other f-86's lost were, 608 M, 623 G & 614 P was lost post war. The war ended on 27 July 1953.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2012, 19:28 

Hi atc,
I imagine the real question is to do a F-30 Sabre in 1/48 with the min hassle. One way of doing it is to get the Revell F-86D and use the wings on the Hasegawa kit. A bit of cutting and pasting is required but nothing excessive. By adding a 5mm splice in the F-86D fuselage and using the Hasegawa F-86F40 wings. a Fiat built F-86K can be built. Out of the box the Hasegawa only has the F40 wing anyway. I imagine it will also work on the Academy kit but the wing does not go on the F-86K, so one kit will be wasted. Hope it helps.
Joker

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2012, 23:48 

Nearly all of the Sabres that the SAAF used in Korea where the non 6-3 slatted wing F96F-25/30 although as has been stated previously in this thread, one did have the non slatted 6-3 wing.

The Sabres we recieved post Korea and that flew in SA skies were the Canadair CL-13B Sabre Mk6 version having the 6-3 wing and slats. The slates extened automatically when the aircraft was on the ground or when flying at slow speed. In modelling terms it a somewhat difficult to depict the slats - to do so you can either scribe in the rather complex pattern or if you can find it, Leading Edge had a decal sheet with the slat outline... The Hasegawa F-86F-40 Sabre has slatted wings but also a 1 foot extension to each wingtip which would require removal to get the wing span correct.

The IPMSSA and Wildaviation sites have some execellent information on how to build SAAF Sabres

For painting, in the excellent "Aircraft of the South African Air Force" on pages 60 & 61, there is a near perfect 1/48 scale plan photo of a Sabre showing the intricate lines for the cammo and other details

There are still some old Esci kits around of the CL-13B

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2012, 06:42 

IIRC, the only non-slatted Sabre in Korea was 622 Q.
The best ref is SACM Nr. 4 by Piet van Schalkwyk and co-authors.

In 1/48 a set of resin wings with the skinny slatted E variant were offered by Scobie Do in Canada. They were available on e-bay.
http://modelingmadness.com/review/korea ... tmc86e.htm

An alternative is the Airways resin set for a slatted E wing: http://modelingmadness.com/others/featu ... heller.htm
This used to be available from Hannants.

If you want to build a big SAAF Mk6, the easiest is to use the new Kinetic F-40 kit, which comes with the correct wing: http://www.modellversium.de/kit/artikel.php?id=8142
ie just leave away the F-40 extensions.

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2012, 17:06 

Thanks a lot guys, I have a Cutting Edge conversion wing for my SAAF build in my stash, so I will use that then thanks. There were also two styles of yellow fuselage bands. One had a pointy curve behind the canopy and the other one was more rounded. Any idea which was used on SAAF birds?

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2012, 03:25 

vlamgat16 wrote:
The Sabres we recieved post Korea and that flew in SA skies were the Canadair CL-13B Sabre Mk6 version having the 6-3 wing and slats.

There are still some old Esci kits around of the CL-13B

The Esci kit you mention is now produced by Italeri as the "F-86 E Sabre".
http://www.modelingmadness.com/review/k ... review.htm
I got my paws on 4 of these kits, they were incorrectly priced by a huge margin, some explaining to my wife. She told her dad back in SA, they both thought I had lost it.
It comes with SAAF markings for Korea, wings have slats engraved, but are 6-3 wings, therefore not as stated on box. You can pretend it is the correct wing for our Korean Sabres, or it will work well for the Sabre Mk.6. I built one of these kits and posted on this forum.