The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 22:02

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: SAAF Humbrol colours
PostPosted: 24 Jun 2012, 16:25 

I am having trouble converting these Humbrol paint numbers 24 and 117 to Tamiya numbers.
Could anyone please help?

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2012, 23:57 

Try this

http://www.paint4models.com

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2012, 10:45 

Decided it was time to get stuck in and finish the Heller F1 in deep buff, green and lower colour...and I say lower colour as I a question regarding the "Light Admiralty grey" for a Mirage F1CZ. Can someone please clear up what the colour really is and if possible, the Humbrol, Tamiya or Gunze paint number....? Would the colour be the same for the AZ...?

I have seen 3 or 4 different interpretations of the colour from light grey to duck egg blue to blue grey and it's doing my head in

Thanks in advance

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2012, 12:39 

Vlamgat16,

The Humbrol colours are H63,H65 and H75.

The H65 is the closest colour to the Light Admiarlty Grey,in fact any one of the colours noted here can be checked against the real thing at Zwartkops.

Unfortunately,I know that you are not close by to see for yourself.

H75 is a dark green colour very similar to the current day "Buffalo Green" which is used by the SAAF,in other words a modern day name for Olive Drab!
H30 is too light for this application especially if it has a gloss finish.

Hope you come right.

Oh yes,please take note that the F1CZ had a different camo scheme on top of the aircraft to the F1AZ.

Cheers

Geoff

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2012, 00:55 

Thanks very much Geoff...I certainly took note of an earlier post regarding the different cammo schemes between the CZ and AZ. If I did not see that I would have made a monumental boob!!

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2012, 12:42 

OK, just to make sure here re the "grey" for the mirage 3 cz bottom. As I understand it , #65 blue with 10-20 % white IS correct and it is not actually grey at all but rather light blue???

T

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2012, 13:05 

T. van Vuuren wrote:
OK, just to make sure here re the "grey" for the mirage 3 cz bottom. As I understand it , #65 blue with 10-20 % white IS correct and it is not actually grey at all but rather light blue???

Quiet correct! :lol:

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2012, 09:33 

The SAAF/SAPS and enemy Rotorwing GB topic have a lot of pages which make it difficult to trace back some references. I know Geoff and Theuns gave a lot of advice and tips so while I’m busy with my Puma I thought it would be proper if I highlight some of these pointers mentioned by them under that topic. I added humbrol codes for easy reference. Please feel free to add or change where I missed something.

The SAAF operated the C, H, L and J models.

The C Model has the roundish shape Sponsons (standard in Airfix kit) and the main rotor blades as supplied in the kit dictate a C model Puma as well. The C model Puma also had different wheel cut-aways at the bottom of the sponsons. (They differed from aircraft to aircraft) The Airfix kit does not represent the correct cut-away.

Versions of C model in the SAAF:
All green scheme without filters and a choice of yellow or white numerals.
Camo scheme without filters – Dark green (H30) and Dark earth (H29
Camo scheme with sandbox filters (need to be scratch build)

The H and L versions had the squared off sponsons. (Remove nav lights and use plastic card and filler to give it a squared off finish). The main rotors for these versions also need rectification. The corner of the blade where it is attached to the blade arm needs to be filled in. All you need is a small piece of plastic (and putty filler) to fill in the extra part of the blade. Main and tail rotor blades are Dark Earth (H29) on the camo versions.

The Antarctic Puma (J model) had big sponsons with floating bags, the same size as the Oryx and extra window at the rear on either side. J models had the dish on the main rotor hub.

Interior of sponsons is Dark Earth (H29)
Crew seats are black (H33) frame with khaki (H26) or RAF blue (H96) material. Some aircraft had white sheepskin over.
Gearbox body – Middle blue (H89)
Swash plate assembly and main rotor head – Sea grey (H27)
Door rails – It is suggested to scratch build the upper and lower door rails with thin plastic rod as those provided in the kit are more toy like. One can also include a centre guide rail that is attached to the fuselage. (Not provided in kit)
Engine Cowl interior including the floor– white (H22) (remember to cut out the 2 square openings on the engine cowls. They are situated in front of the cowls, one on either side. (The Oryx does not have these cut outs)
Interior( including roof)- matt black (H33).
Pax seats can be painted in a RAF blue (H96). If one decides to install the noise reduction quilting it will also be painted in (H96).
Fire extinguisher is a light blue.
The kit does not supply the bold on exhaust plates on the engine cowl at the back of the exhaust. These need to be scratch build from plastic card.
The airfix kit does not provide yaw pedals and need to be scratch build.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2012, 09:46 

The SAAF operated the C, H, L and J models.

The C Model has the roundish shape Sponsons (standard in Airfix kit) and the main rotor blades as supplied in the kit dictate a C model Puma as well. The C model Puma also had different wheel cut-aways at the bottom of the sponsons. (They differed from aircraft to aircraft) The Airfix kit does not

The H and L versions had the squared off sponsons. (Remove nav lights and use plastic card and filler to give it a squared off finish). The main rotors for these versions also need rectification. The corner of the blade where it is attached to the blade arm needs to be filled in."

I have pix of the SAF Pumas with cone tipe filters, square sponsons and very definate old square cut main rotors.So not nesssesary to mod rotors for that model if you do not want to.

T

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2012, 22:12 

Gents.

What colors( Humbrol) is the correct ones for a Saaf Alouette 111?

Thanks

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2012, 20:40 

Ben wrote:

Camo or green machine?

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2012, 21:53 

Camo

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2012, 07:58 

Ben wrote:

H29 Dark Earth and H30 Dark Green disruptive pattern with H33 Black interior and seats.
Seat covers can be a light blue / grey ( H145) depending on the colour of the sheepskin cover that was used per indiviual aircraft.

Main rotor blades are Dark Earth with red tips.

Tail rotor guard / tail skid was either yellow ( H24) with red ( H19) stripes or Dark Earth with red stripes.

The tip of the rotor blade is red. There are 4 red sections with 3 yellow or Dark Earth sections.

The exhaust was either H70 or Dark Earth,again deppending on the individual aircraft.

Which variant are you going to build?

Geoff

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2012, 16:03 

Light admiralty grey SAAF: 2 parts HU65 light blue, 1 part HU165 grey, 1 or 2 parts HU130/HU22 depending on how light or shiny you want your coat to be (scale effect).

Regards

Pierre

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2013, 13:09 

SA-330J ZS-HJA/HIZ

Any suggestions on what blue to use for the 'OLD SA Flag' scheme...?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next