The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 05:19

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: 1/48 Mirage F-1AZ build
PostPosted: 03 Feb 2010, 18:01 

Hi guys,

I'm new here and a serious SAAF modeler. Here is my first post of a Mirage F-1AZ I'm building in 1/48 scale. I used the old ESCI Mirage F-1 and the Scaleworx F-1AZ conversion set. I havent done alot on it for a while, but that will change soon.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2010, 18:31 

HI! :smt041

I can already hear Kenny Loggin's singing :smt034 the Danger Zone song :smt035 from top gun for this build.

In my youth I was always an Impala fan but I've really come to love :smt007 :smt055 the F1!

Thank you for sharing this with us :smt023 Any ideas on what scheme you're going to do yet? I've got the Dark Mirages sheet here and one that keeps jumping out at me is #222 as Cheetah Eater.

Simon

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2010, 19:09 

Thanks Splatt,

I'm a big Imp fan myself. When I'm done with the F-1AZ I'll post my 1/48 Imp mk.2, which is in about the same state as the F-1AZ. Regarding the choice of paint scheme, It will be a choice between the buff/olive drab or the dairy truck, because I've already fitted the experimental dome between the CHAFF/Flare dispensers. This limits me to serial numbers 233 and 235. I can get the dairy truck decals from MAV Decals.

Cheers

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2010, 20:05 

Hey hey hey ... Welcome Bladrunner :smt023 You couldn't have chosen a better topic for a first post :D

I'm eager to see the progress here.

Cheers

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2010, 09:41 
Site Admin

Welcome Bladerunner, glad we finally sorted out the registration issues! \:D/

I'm not going to give the background to Bladerunner, that his personal prerogative, but when he says he is "a serious SAAF modeler", he means it. :wink:

In fact, some of the other serious modelers on this forum may already know him. :lol:

Anyway, thanks for contributing and hope to see more of your posts. :smt023

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2010, 09:14 

Hi there Bladerunner,

Welcome to the forum!! How is that Scaleworx F1 AZ conversion?? I dunno if you've seen my Mirage 3R2Z thread, but thats the SW conversion for the Italeri kit.

I've got F1 kits that I mean to convert to atleast 3 AZs at some point, so I will be following your thread with interest!

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2010, 11:09 

Thanks Dean and Portamus.

To be honest, more filler was used on the kit itself, than between the conversion parts. I'll be painting the cockpit and ejection seat this weekend and hopefully have the vac-form canopy on. I'll post some updates next week.

Cheers

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2010, 11:44 

Okay,
here is the update. I painted the cockpit matt black. I can kick my own butt for not painting the instrument panel before I installed it, because its a bit tricky now. The ejection seat was painted in toned-down colours to look a bit weathered. Also need to add the ejection rings on the headrest. A light dry-brush with Humbrol 196 was applied. My appollogies for the poor quality of the picture, my digital camera died and I'm using my cellphone camera.

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2010, 13:24 

Hi Bladerunner

That's looking really good so far. I'll be ordering my own from the Aviation Megastore very soon.
I'm just about to restart my Spinners Cheetah D conversion having taken a break from aircraft for a couple of years.

Dave.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2010, 10:58 

Hey there Bladerunner...

Shes looking sweet! Cant wait to see her with some colors!!! Have you decided which aircraft you're going to represent? As you say, you've already fitted the extra bits that were unique to 233 and 235. So you can do either in deep buff/olive drab, or 235 in the Dairy Truck scheme. Hmm, tough choices. I suppose you could also do a 'what-if' scheme?? As in, what if the SAAF upgraded all their F1-AZs to that configuration and kept them in service?

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2010, 15:26 

Thanks for the kind words, Portamus and Dar. I have decided on a paint scheme. I was going to do the "Dairy truck" because of the ventral dome, but then I'd have to remove the RWR antennas, make a new instrument panel and add alot of lumps and bumps on the rear fuselage. So, it was easier to take a sidecutter and remove it by force, so that I can now build it as a late version with the 14 bomb configuration. I've always wanted to do it. I have already ordered the "Dairy Truck" decals from MAV Decals, but I'll save it for another kit.

Thanks for commenting.
Bladerunner

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2010, 16:17 

Cool beans!!

Nothing a little forceful surgery cant fix :lol:

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2010, 21:15 

Hi guys,

Here is another update. The removal of the ventral dome was a success. I've added the ejection seat handles to the seat and the joystick was added to the cockpit. Next was the always dreaded vac-form canopy [-o< . The conversion set contains two, but I was lucky and got it right first time...phew \:D/. Usually I'd treat the canopy with two or three coats of "Future" floor polish, but the canopy is nice and clear, so no need for that. I used Microscale Kristal Kleer to secure the canopy, and now it has to dry untill tomorrow.
My digital camera decided to give a little bit of cooperation, so here's some pics.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2010, 21:40 

=D> =D> =D>

Cant wait to see what colors you're gonna put on her, now that you've amputated the offending bit.

Keep 'em coming!!! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2010, 21:46 

A very nifty piece of 'blunt force trauma' Bladerunner :D good save mate. The office is looking very smart too.