The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 08 Aug 2020, 05:09

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Re: 32nd Cheetah E
PostPosted: 02 Jun 2020, 20:02 

Mistral wrote:
The head on view shows off the angles of the bomb pylons and refilling probe very nicely indeed.

Nice Head on one for the refueling probe. :wink: They were not always fitted it seems, but 9/10 times they were so best to include it. :roll:

I agree with MARS. You can't really go wrong with copying a Israeli used pylon. :lol:

Snoop, where is an update on that beauty of a C you are building? :P

Keep your feet on the ground, and reach for the skies!

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2020, 22:45 

mamba wrote:
Mistral wrote:
The head on view shows off the angles of the bomb pylons and refilling probe very nicely indeed.

Nice Head on one for the refueling probe. :wink: They were not always fitted it seems, but 9/10 times they were so best to include it. :roll:

I agree with MARS. You can't really go wrong with copying a Israeli used pylon. :lol:

paint , and weathering are done , the next step , the few decals , and miscellaneous stuffs
snoop

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2020, 23:20 

Very interesting build- I'm following!

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2020, 21:21 

snoop wrote:
mamba wrote:
Mistral wrote:

paint , and weathering are done , the next step , the few decals , and miscellaneous stuffs
snoop

We need proof!

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2020, 20:39 

Mistral wrote:
Was the centreline a standard NATO/USAF TER ?

No idea if it is the same rack, but the configuration looks the same as on the Cheetah and it is in SAAF service so it might be a good place to start.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2020, 22:25 

Thanks Mamba. It doesn't look like the standard US/NATO TER. The SAAF one looks like it has a longer nose without the scalopped sides of the US/NATO one. I think more research is needed. Likely an Israeli version of the standard TER :?:

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2020, 09:01 

mamba wrote:

Going by the picture above and:

Mars wrote:

This walk around MARS provided I think the TER in the walk around is the one you are looking for. It is a better fit (when using visual inspection) to what I can see on the Cheetah than what the Buccaneer is carrying.

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2020, 14:50 

Any idea as to why the TER was only used for a relatively short time and the beginning of Cheetah service?

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2020, 18:34 

I suppose they may have came as part of a package deal from Israel. Doesn't explain the Buccaneer ones though :?:

Some elbow grease applied over the past few days - Cheetah E canards - these are the 70% size items fitted to D and E Cheetahs. I took my measurements off 842 at Swartkop. The black line is where I'll need to cut (more or less) to fit in with the intake slope / curvature.

First took 4 layers of 0.25 mm think plastic card cut to shape. Glued these and flattened for a day beneath a really heavy book. Once the glue is fully dried, the part retains it's shape well albeit rather thin. Top left items are single layers. Bottom right are 3 laminated layers :

ImageCanard 3 - 800 by Malcolm Reid, on Flickr

Then the part I was dreading - shaping these to impart some curvature (camber) - the laminations are showing through but a coat of Tamiya grey primer and a final sanding down should sort any imperfections out. Question - does anyone have a close up photo of upper surface details ? I'm assuming a single metal billet machined into shape so going for a smooth finish unless someone can counter this :

ImageCanards 1 - 800 by Malcolm Reid, on Flickr

Photos of 842's canards undersides shows three distinct and raised reinforcing sections - these should look better under a coat of grey primer. I used 0.15mm thin plastic card and then sanded down :

ImageCanard 2 - 800 by Malcolm Reid, on Flickr

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2020, 09:03 

Are you sure those plates will look scale correct Mistral? I've never noticed them before on the aircraft, even on close up walk around shots...

But as you requested:

Prominent strengthening plate at the fuselage join.

Terrible shot of a D canard in the fore ground. I attach a sketch of what I think I can see in terms of strengthening plates.

It doesn't correspond terribly well with the first image at the fuselage join... They seem to follow the plates you did on the undersides closely. The attachment plates are much, much more prominent and their contour doesn't match well with my sketch unfortunately. Up to you I guess! My suggestion would be to leave them off seeing as they are barely visible even in close up photos of the real deal. :roll:

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2020, 21:53 

Thanks Mamba :smt023

I guess I can sand them down some more but they are definitely there and are raised above the canard surface. The square one stands proud of the canard surface even more and has distinct raised riveting which I'll replicate with Archer rivets. I can't really discern the top plates in your photos apart from a panel line which I may replicate by scribing. The fuselage join plate and fairings will be fun to do :shock:

Thanks again for the help :D . It's amazing how many times I've taken photos of 842 but still lack details of specific areas.

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2020, 22:32 

I used the second photo and extrapolation for the plates... Those two are the best I have unfortunately so no real "proof" of their shape. I can only prove the existence of something. :lol: I rechecked some references and they are definitely there. You just need the light to hit them well when observing on photos, else they are almost invisible. :roll: Seeing as you have seen the real deal, I'll let you decide on what will look appropriate! :D

I spent some time on the net hoping the Swiss Mirage 3S canard upgrades follow a similar approach but they seem to be a very different design compared to the SAAF. :( Perhaps ask on "Air Force Talk"? Somebody there might just have the detail pic you are looking for?

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2020, 19:12 

Some attempts to replicate the E instrument panel. Here's the kit part - radar scope in the wrong place, most of the dials also incorrect. The E has a single MFD to the bottom left and an RWR dial to the top right :

ImageIP3 - 800 by Malcolm Reid, on Flickr

First pass on E panel - the dials are scale too large but in 32nd the smaller ones are only 2mm diameter. Couldn't go smaller as my punch and die set only goes down to 2mm :

ImageIP 2 - 800 by Malcolm Reid, on Flickr

Some knobs and other bits added. The HUD frame is not yet glued in place so is a bit skew :

ImageIP1 - 800 by Malcolm Reid, on Flickr