The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 08 Aug 2020, 16:36

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2020, 10:46 

hi gents
here is my almost done conversion : Atlas Cheetah C ( C for ..complicated :) ) Almost done because I had troubles with the windscreen , I first thought to sand off the vertical frames , but by dint of sanding , polishing , the clear part finely cracked :evil: so ... to be continued , stay tune .. must be fixed
first question : what color ?? somebody says : FS 36118 / FS 36320, or .... FS 36320 / FS 36375 a lighter scheme
seconde question : I have decals , but they are no so good , printed with a ink jet printer , do you have an idea , who can make nice decals .... Bladerunner from "scale worx ......
thank you for watching
last thing : I want to warmly thank my friend Nick . without his help , it would not be possible :smt023
snoop

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2020, 14:30 
Site Admin

Looking good, hopefully you'll be able to repair/replace the windscreen.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2020, 15:30 

Wow Snoop =D> =D> =D>

Exceptional work, you need to tell us everything about the model.

What did material did you use for the nose and plug?

For decals, contact Mav Decals or The Aviation Shop.

As for the colours. Your best bet would be to pick a airframe and try and match the grey's by eye to the reference you have. Getting the right grey is difficult as it varies by aircraft, time frame and weathering. At times the grey almost has a bluish tinge, other times it looks more on the grey side again depending on reference.

Really looking forward to seeing this one complete.

Last edited by Mars on 26 Apr 2020, 15:55, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2020, 15:44 

Perhaps one thing to consider adding is the hump.

The C has a subtle but distinct hump, which could be a throw back to the Kfir.

The apex of the hump would be about where you have the square panel, perhaps a fraction back.

snoop wrote:

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2020, 22:21 

Exceptional work snoop! Can't wait to see more! =D>

Meesa thinka Meesta Bladerunner musta up his game... :wink:

Keep your feet on the ground, and reach for the skies!

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2020, 09:58 

hi ..

thank you for watching :smt023
@Mars : a friend of mine provided me the main components : nose cone , IP , the shaft dispenser fairing ,and miscellaneous parts . the nose cone was made for the old Revell kit , so I had to reshape it to get this kind of .... step under the fuselage / nose .... there is of course a bit of scratch build here and there
about the decals . I have the Mav decals , but sorry , they are not so good , details aren't " sharp " due to the use of jet ink printer , I have these decal for a while , maybe it's worth it to contact him again ( don't know ...... .... I don't know the " Aviation shop " I will take a look ( if you have a link )

now , you talk to me about this hump on the fuselage back .. I have only one picture of this area , but , I didn't noticed this hump , if you have more info or a picture , it will be welcome
snoop

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2020, 10:14 

snoop wrote:
hi ..

thank you for watching :smt023
@Mars : a friend of mine provided me the main components : nose cone , IP , the shaft dispenser fairing ,and miscellaneous parts . the nose cone was made for the old Revell kit , so I had to reshape it to get this kind of .... step under the fuselage / nose .... there is of course a bit of scratch build here and there
about the decals . I have the Mav decals , but sorry , they are not so good , details aren't " sharp " due to the use of jet ink printer , I have these decal for a while , maybe it's worth it to contact him again ( don't know ...... .... I don't know the " Aviation shop " I will take a look ( if you have a link )

Regarding the decals, they have to be heavily toned down anyway with the grey that you use, so sharpness many not matter.

On my Cheetah I used Mav decals, the squadron badge was lacking resolution so with a very thin paint I touched up the decal where required.

Also bearing in mind with lock down, you may have to wait a while to get the decals.

snoop wrote:
now , you talk to me about this hump on the fuselage back .. I have only one picture of this area , but , I didn't noticed this hump , if you have more info or a picture , it will be welcome
snoop

You see you should have posted sooner :lol:.

Its still a good time to do the work. The hump is best seen from a side aspect, once you see it you can't unsee it

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Ecuador-Air-Force/Atlas-Cheetah-C/2201369/L
https://www.airliners.net/photo/South-Africa-Air-Force/Atlas-Cheetah-C/1295077/L?qsp=eJxtjbEOwjAMRP/FcxcUhKpsdGGEgR%2BwnAMilTayPVBV/XfSVmJiO987Pc8k4%2BD4%2BH0qoEgGVnlRQ4WV30ZxJs4qyg/v2LLss8MxhOYHLhig/xHF0Lb1tlG9m6o/seMsguJItPdXTdAVwWR7/Fw1NUBvW6Zwqn3KVnreHHDOPS3LF7TpPmY%3D
https://www.airliners.net/photo/Ecuador-Air-Force/Atlas-Cheetah-C/2733742/L?qsp=eJxtjjEOwjAMRe/iuUsVhKpudGGEgQtYzgcilTZyPFBVvXuTRmJi8/Ozvv9KMk%2BGrz2WCOopgVXe1FBk5U%2BifiUOKspPGzgFqWftybnmJ66YoP8V9a7rMqdZbVhyvmfDRQTR4Knub%2BqhRSHJ8fhVirRlhN4ruXNGH1Ic%2BUiBcRhp23Yk0z6q

The hump was unique to the C. It will be easy to add, perhaps glue down plastic card to give it structure at the apex and blend in with Tamiya putty. The problem with just using putty is that its it shrinks, and it takes a while to build up, it is also very easy to over sand an and lose the effect.

One other detail that is difficult to see is that the intakes are unique as well. They are slightly convex, in shape. This was also unique to the C.

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/6466149

Last edited by Mars on 27 Apr 2020, 11:12, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2020, 10:27 

The SAAF had two paint schemes for the Cheetah C.
Best will be to decide on a number that you want to build and so get the correct tail number for your build.

The Aviation shop also uses MAV decal for their stuff.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2020, 10:50 

AT6C wrote:
The SAAF had two paint schemes for the Cheetah C.
Best will be to decide on a number that you want to build and so get the correct tail number for your build.

The Aviation shop also uses MAV decal for their stuff.

Hi AT6C

The Aviation Shop, have there own line of decals and do their own art work but print mainly generic castles and numbers.

Regarding the colours do you perhaps know if the SAAF used standard FS colours or created their own grey's like they did with the Mirage's.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2020, 11:00 

Hi Snoop. these should help. I suspect that the "hump" is a left-over from the Kfir conversion back to 9k50 with the removal of the dorsal intake. It seems to be much more prominent in the vertical y-direction than the side ways x-direction as the photo you posted.

PHOTO 1
PHOTO 2
PHOTO 3
PHOTO 4
PHOTO 5
PHOTO 6
SKETCH

Regarding the colours - as Mars said, it is best to choose a air frame and time frame and model that. Looking at the model (which is wonderful by the way, I'm envious! =P~ ) you are set up for a post '97 Cheetah. The aerial fin configuration on the back behind the cockpit was different before that. Reference Photo 3 above and the sketch of mine. Photo 3 is post '97 and my sketch as well as Photo 1 are in the '95 time frame. Notice under the cockpit and behind the canopy on the spine the different aerial configurations.
Up until 2000 and little bit after the Cheetahs were generally very clean with crisp markings and insignia on them. As we move to 2008 and retirement they dirty up considerably with mis-matched panel colours in some places, oil stains around hatches and some even missing insignia like castles on the intakes.

AT6C also mentioned the air-to-air and the air-to-ground scheme. 347 is the best example of the A2A scheme with lots of ref photos on the net. The diamond on the top and bottom was of a much lighter colour than the darker (almost blueish sometimes) diamond carried by most Cheetah's. I unfortunately can't find a colour code reference for you. You should just choose the bird and look you like. Plenty of options!

Keep up the work. :smt023 Following this one with a keen interest! 8)

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2020, 13:55 

Gooie grondstof :!: :!: :!: - how did I miss this one - what a conversion !!! Amazing work there Snoop. Absolutely beautiful =D> :smt023 . I look forward to seeing it painted. Eish, you've made me lus to do a conversion - I assume you used the Italeri IIIE kit ?

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2020, 14:02 

Also nice exhaust pipe - which AM did you use ?

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2020, 15:48 

hi gents
thanks a lot , I really appreciate , I learnt a lot !!!
I noticed that the color scheme depend of the AC number , and ,I have to pay attention of the dorsal antennas ( am I right Mamba ??? )
the picture of the hump , is now obvious ... subtle however !!! I will make it , and let you know :smt023
@ Mistral : thank you sir ! yes , I used the Italieri kit , the exhaust pipe is the Reskit set , a "piece of art" with sharp details ,
BTW , the windscreen is fixed , I cut a pattern in a sheet of Rhodoïd , according to the kit part ........ :wink:
Snoop

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2020, 16:44 

Awesomeness :smt023 :smt023 :smt023 :smt023

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2020, 19:43 

snoop wrote:
I have to pay attention of the dorsal antennas ( am I right Mamba ??? )
the picture of the hump , is now obvious ... subtle however !!! I will make it , and let you know :smt023

Indeed. :wink: Although you'll notice any alterations needed depending on your final choice and period. The current fit you have encompasses the majority of it's service life so I doubt change is needed. And that persky hump is indeed strange. It is very subtle, yet also very noticeable as well :lol:

Nice save on the new windscreen =D> . Can't wait for primer and more. :D