The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 21:49

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Ventura colour.
PostPosted: 13 Feb 2020, 01:46 

I have the Mav decal sheet for the solid nose Ventura s/n 6534 MT Z with springbok roundels duty I cannot determine if the colours are the US blue and grey or PRU blue and white. Can the more knowledgeable members please advise what the two tone colours are please.

Post subject: Re: Ventura colour.
PostPosted: 13 Feb 2020, 21:47 

The one at Ysterplaat is in the 3 color scheme. Dark blue uppers, medium blue middle (PRU blue ?) and white lower surfaces. But that was the WWII scheme which didn't have the Springboks.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2020, 22:17 

Thanks for the information.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2020, 07:23 
Site Admin

The following is an extract from “A Portrait of Military Aviation in Southern Africa" by Ron Belling:

Quote:
Lockheed PV-1 Ventura

The Venturas were delivered to the RAF and SAAF in the standard three-colour US Navy scheme. Fuselage decking and flying surfaces were Sea Blue, the flanks Intermediate Blue and the undersides White. The US insignia, overpainted with an approximate background colour, were replaced by B and C1 roundels and standard fin flashes, in which Orange replaced the RAF Red, as usual.

Post war, the standard fit in the 1950s was Extra Dark Sea Grey upper surfaces and Sky undersides. The squadron codes (MS for 17 Squadron and MT for 22 Squadron) were in Yellow and individual aircraft letters were repeated, also in Yellow, on the tailplane above the rear fuselage. A Blue separating tape was used on the White nose radomes. Spinners and whell covers were Red or Blue, depending on the flight, while the underside serial numbers were placed parallel to the wing leading edges.

Before they ended their service, a number of Venturas wore an upper surface finish of Dark Sea Grey (which matched the upper surface finish of the SAAF’s Buccaneers). The undersides were finished in PRU Blue with a single Yellow aircraft letter which was placed immediately ahead of the Castle insignia. All paintwork was gloss.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2020, 15:45 

Wow thank you. I don't have that book in my library which is a pity.