The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 07:09

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: 1/48 C-130BZ Hercules
PostPosted: 18 Feb 2019, 14:45 

I need some help. I am busy building the Italeri 1/48 C-130 Hercules and am doing it in the 30 years of Hercs/ 28 Sqn 50 year anniversary markings.
What I need to know is whether on the camoed C-130BZ's was the area behind the exhaust outlets painted black with angled sides (pic 1) or was it left camoed and the exhaust stained in black (pic 2).
I have not been able to find any clear photos taken of the underneath of the camoed Hercs used by the SAAF which I can use for reference. The only one found is D. Wingrin's in pic 3 and I cannot make out the detail behind the exhausts in it.
All assistance is greatly appreciated.

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2019, 22:50 

Hi vulcanxm607

Based on the image in the gallery below that the exhaust section does not look to be painted black, but was heavily weathered.

Just to add, the BZ designation was introduced when the Herc's were upgraded and painted grey. For the Natural metal and camouflage era's the Hercules were designated as C-130B's

http://www.saairforce.co.za/gallery-and-media/22/c-130-hercules/1

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2019, 08:38 

Hi. Dropped in at AFB WKLF. The maintenance guys say the wings were painted behind the engines.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2019, 11:14 

fifthrock wrote:
Hi. Dropped in at AFB WKLF. The maintenance guys say the wings were painted behind the engines.

Hi. Many thanks for that and for going out of your way to find the information out for me.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2019, 11:19 

Mars wrote:
Hi vulcanxm607

Based on the image in the gallery below that the exhaust section does not look to be painted black, but was heavily weathered.

Just to add, the BZ designation was introduced when the Herc's were upgraded and painted grey. For the Natural metal and camouflage era's the Hercules were designated as C-130B's

Hi Mars,

I was under the impression that the Z stood for Zuid Afrika and was included on any aircraft letters (other that those from Britain) which were exported to SA like the Mirages AZ, CZ, etc as well as the Transall C-160Z.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2019, 11:47 
Site Admin

That is why the 'Z' was used, but in this case, the aircraft were always known as the C-130B. Only when the aircraft underwent the avionics upgrade (Project Ebb) did the designation change to C-130BZ.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2019, 13:02 

vulcanxm607 wrote:
Mars wrote:
Hi vulcanxm607

Hi Mars,

I was under the impression that the Z stood for Zuid Afrika and was included on any aircraft letters (other that those from Britain) which were exported to SA like the Mirages AZ, CZ, etc as well as the Transall C-160Z.

The designation was only used by the French manufacturers Dassault and Transall, not to say that it was a French convention as Aerospatiale did not use the designation for the helicopters.

In the case of the C-130 it is used to indicate the block/type upgrade.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2019, 15:40 

First post in so many years...

Shots I have in my ref stash

Not as clear, but you can see the black shape clearly behind the outboard engine.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2019, 22:28 

Here are two contradictory images of the same aircraft from the same event. Granted its a later time frame but here is 401 at RAF Fairford for RIAT.

Note on the landing pic the dark exhaust weathering however when the aircraft is parked the dark exhaust streaks don't seem to be evident. It looks like the aircraft was cleaned for static display.

https://hiveminer.com/Tags/c130%2Csouthafricanairforce

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2019, 16:24 

A quick query: When the Herc 403 was done in the SAAF Herc 30 years/28 Squadron 50 years scheme did it have the Springbok/Castle insignia on it at any time or was this always the Eagle/Castle insignia.
The photos I have show the Eagle/Castle insignia, but the drawing by Brent Best shows the Springbok/Castle insignia.
All assistance is greatly appreciated as I have nearly completed my 1/48 model of this aircraft and need it came with the Springbok/Castle insignia on the decal sheet. I have put those on but not clear coated them yet so they can be changed if they are the wrong markings.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2019, 12:35 

vulcanxm607 wrote:
A quick query: When the Herc 403 was done in the SAAF Herc 30 years/28 Squadron 50 years scheme did it have the Springbok/Castle insignia on it at any time or was this always the Eagle/Castle insignia.

The Herc had the Eagle Castle applied with that scheme.

There was no black exhaust section under the wing, it was camo'ed and the exhaust stains made the impression of a black triangle.

I do not know the Italeri 1/48 kit, check the Platypus on the kit so that the correct shape is captured in your model.
There are differences of the Platypus on various versions of the C-130.

Geoff

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2019, 14:32 

Has anyone on this forum got first hand experience of flying the c130's - for the military or in commercial applications? I am doing some research on what sort of runways can accommodate them - length, surface, etc etc. Any assistance appreciated.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2019, 15:39 

scurvy wrote:
Has anyone on this forum got first hand experience of flying the c130's - for the military or in commercial applications? I am doing some research on what sort of runways can accommodate them - length, surface, etc etc. Any assistance appreciated.

Hi scurvy.
I have seen photos of the Hercs landing on normal runways as well as dirt & grass strips also ice.
https://gizmodo.com/the-c-130-hercules- ... 1674188853

One has landed and took off from an American aircraft carrier USS Forrestal for trials. Link to a video of this feat is attached below. Watch the video on U tube from time 0.33 'The C-130 Hercules holds the record for the largest and heaviest aircraft to land on an aircraft carrier. In October and November 1963, a USMC KC-130F (BuNo 149798), bailed to the US Naval Air Test Center, made 21 unarrested landings and take-offs on the USS Forrestal at a number of different weights. The pilot, LT (later RADM) James Flatley III, USN, was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross for his participation. The tests were highly successful, but the idea was considered too risky for routine "Carrier Onboard Delivery" (COD) operations. Instead, the C-2 Greyhound was developed as a dedicated COD aircraft. (The Hercules used in the test, most recently in service with Marine Aerial Refueler Squadron 352 (VMGR-352) until 2005, is now part of the collection of the National Museum of Naval Aviation at NAS Pensacola, Florida.)':
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar-poc38C84

Hope this gives some idea as to landing and take off performances and where they can operate to and from.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2019, 15:50 

Thanks Vulcanxm607, that was useful.
I am actually looking to talk to pilots that have landed and taken off on short dirt runways (in Africa) with varying payloads. Know anyone who has?

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2019, 17:50 

scurvy wrote:
Thanks Vulcanxm607, that was useful.
I am actually looking to talk to pilots that have landed and taken off on short dirt runways (in Africa) with varying payloads. Know anyone who has?

I do indeed.

My father flew Hercs for quite a long time with 28Sqn... Pop me a PM with your questions and I will forward them on!