The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 19 Mar 2019, 01:24

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: 1/48 C-130BZ Hercules
PostPosted: 18 Feb 2019, 14:45 

I need some help. I am busy building the Italeri 1/48 C-130 Hercules and am doing it in the 30 years of Hercs/ 28 Sqn 50 year anniversary markings.
What I need to know is whether on the camoed C-130BZ's was the area behind the exhaust outlets painted black with angled sides (pic 1) or was it left camoed and the exhaust stained in black (pic 2).
I have not been able to find any clear photos taken of the underneath of the camoed Hercs used by the SAAF which I can use for reference. The only one found is D. Wingrin's in pic 3 and I cannot make out the detail behind the exhausts in it.
All assistance is greatly appreciated.

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2019, 22:50 

Hi vulcanxm607

Based on the image in the gallery below that the exhaust section does not look to be painted black, but was heavily weathered.

Just to add, the BZ designation was introduced when the Herc's were upgraded and painted grey. For the Natural metal and camouflage era's the Hercules were designated as C-130B's

http://www.saairforce.co.za/gallery-and-media/22/c-130-hercules/1

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2019, 08:38 

Hi. Dropped in at AFB WKLF. The maintenance guys say the wings were painted behind the engines.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2019, 11:14 

fifthrock wrote:
Hi. Dropped in at AFB WKLF. The maintenance guys say the wings were painted behind the engines.

Hi. Many thanks for that and for going out of your way to find the information out for me.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2019, 11:19 

Mars wrote:
Hi vulcanxm607

Based on the image in the gallery below that the exhaust section does not look to be painted black, but was heavily weathered.

Just to add, the BZ designation was introduced when the Herc's were upgraded and painted grey. For the Natural metal and camouflage era's the Hercules were designated as C-130B's

Hi Mars,

I was under the impression that the Z stood for Zuid Afrika and was included on any aircraft letters (other that those from Britain) which were exported to SA like the Mirages AZ, CZ, etc as well as the Transall C-160Z.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2019, 11:47 
Site Admin

That is why the 'Z' was used, but in this case, the aircraft were always known as the C-130B. Only when the aircraft underwent the avionics upgrade (Project Ebb) did the designation change to C-130BZ.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2019, 13:02 

vulcanxm607 wrote:
Mars wrote:
Hi vulcanxm607

Hi Mars,

I was under the impression that the Z stood for Zuid Afrika and was included on any aircraft letters (other that those from Britain) which were exported to SA like the Mirages AZ, CZ, etc as well as the Transall C-160Z.

The designation was only used by the French manufacturers Dassault and Transall, not to say that it was a French convention as Aerospatiale did not use the designation for the helicopters.

In the case of the C-130 it is used to indicate the block/type upgrade.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2019, 15:40 

First post in so many years...

Shots I have in my ref stash

Not as clear, but you can see the black shape clearly behind the outboard engine.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2019, 22:28 

Here are two contradictory images of the same aircraft from the same event. Granted its a later time frame but here is 401 at RAF Fairford for RIAT.

Note on the landing pic the dark exhaust weathering however when the aircraft is parked the dark exhaust streaks don't seem to be evident. It looks like the aircraft was cleaned for static display.

https://hiveminer.com/Tags/c130%2Csouthafricanairforce