The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 24 Jun 2019, 17:12

All times are UTC + 2 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2019, 19:25 
Offline

Joined: 16 Nov 2018, 00:38
Posts: 13
I plan to build a C-47 in the dark earth- dkgreen camo using the Monogram kit. For decals I will order soon the sheet for the 6892 from MAV.
Before really starting I want to have a few things confirmed or corrected:
so 6892 has
- no astrodome
- some special antennae on the fuselage (is there a ref. where I can see clearly what, where and size?)
- later paddle props (black with red-white-red tips?)

For colors I will take: Gunze H72 dk earth, Tamiya XF-81 dk green, Xtracolor X08 PRU blue for underside. Any better suggestions?
What about the colors for the interior? Up to now I would paint it in interior green. But I have seen some builts with a kind of sand color on the walls in the cargo cabin!?
And wheel wells: siler? zink cromate? Int. green or...?

Hope to get some info for my project and will post pics soon (when there is some progress to see).


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 10 Jan 2019, 17:56 
Offline

Joined: 31 Aug 2010, 15:01
Posts: 4435
Location: Centurion, Pretoria, SA
tobiK wrote:
I plan to build a C-47 in the dark earth- dkgreen camo using the Monogram kit. For decals I will order soon the sheet for the 6892 from MAV.
Before really starting I want to have a few things confirmed or corrected:
so 6892 has
- no astrodome
- some special antennae on the fuselage (is there a ref. where I can see clearly what, where and size?)
- later paddle props (black with red-white-red tips?)

For colors I will take: Gunze H72 dk earth, Tamiya XF-81 dk green, Xtracolor X08 PRU blue for underside. Any better suggestions?
What about the colors for the interior? Up to now I would paint it in interior green. But I have seen some builts with a kind of sand color on the walls in the cargo cabin!?
And wheel wells: siler? zink cromate? Int. green or...?

Hope to get some info for my project and will post pics soon (when there is some progress to see).


Howzit, only thing I can confirm on colours are interior of cabin - lower half in bright green, upper half and roof in buff. Looking forward to seeing your Dak WIP :smt023

Maybe some of this will also help ?

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3161&hilit=Trumpeter+C+47+C+47+dakota


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 10 Jan 2019, 22:23 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 18 Oct 2011, 16:54
Posts: 175
Location: Centurion
In the early 80s, 6892 was stationed at Grootfontein and was in the IP configuration. If I remember correctly, she had 28 seats in a 2 - 2 configuration. It ended up as a C47TP and was eventually sold off. Have a look here:

http://www.dc-3.co.za/saaf-daks.html

I also have only one image of 6892, and it is distorted horizontally

Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 12 Jan 2019, 22:22 
Offline

Joined: 16 Nov 2018, 00:38
Posts: 13
Thank you for the information and the link to all that awesome pics!
I already started the interior some days ago. Still glossy because of the washing. The pilot seats got belts from stripes of aluminium foil and in the rear I put a anti slipping coating on the floor (sandpaper P800).
Image

Image
But it is no IP config with seats 2-2. I have no real mood to remove the benches and scratch build the seats because 1) will be hardly visible later 2) have no idea how the seats look like.
So I hope the Dak had some time the troop seats wearing the brown-gren camo or should I switch to another Dak (means: another No., not the 6892)?
The buff in the cargo cabin will be done. Is it also on the rear and front wall? And where is the demarcation line? Under the windows? Or above?

On your pics the underside looks pretty light, almost a kind of azure blue. Or a very faded PRU blue?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 13 Jan 2019, 11:45 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 18 Oct 2011, 16:54
Posts: 175
Location: Centurion
tobiK,
If I remember correctly, the SAAF transport configuration in the cabin had no green, the cream colour (buff) covered everything (including the front and rear bulkheads)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 13 Jan 2019, 12:10 
Offline

Joined: 16 Nov 2018, 00:38
Posts: 13
antonkr wrote:
tobiK,
If I remember correctly, the SAAF transport configuration in the cabin had no green, the cream colour (buff) covered everything (including the front and rear bulkheads)


Ufff...you send me back to starting point! I am watching Mistral's build of the 1/48 Dakota gunship (Trumpi kit) I already felt safe up to this point but now you just changed it.
Have search in my stash if I have one more C-47 interior with long benches. Otherwise take it from the Revell AC-47 but it has only 2 very short side benches on the sprue.

OK before glueing something, antonkr, one more question: as Mistral made the IP in grey/black - was it special for his Dak or should I change my IP also to grey and leave it black in the middle?
For the interior buff I have Tamiya XF-57 and Revell 89 (both are very similar, Revell a little bit darker). Right or is it too dark?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 13 Jan 2019, 15:06 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: 29 Jun 2004, 17:19
Posts: 7496
Photos of IP at http://www.saairforce.co.za/gallery-and ... 7-dakota/3

_________________
How come every time my ship comes in, I'm at the airport?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 14 Jan 2019, 09:04 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 18 Oct 2011, 16:54
Posts: 175
Location: Centurion
tobiK wrote:
antonkr wrote:
tobiK,
If I remember correctly, the SAAF transport configuration in the cabin had no green, the cream colour (buff) covered everything (including the front and rear bulkheads)


Ufff...you send me back to starting point! I am watching Mistral's build of the 1/48 Dakota gunship (Trumpi kit) I already felt safe up to this point but now you just changed it.
Have search in my stash if I have one more C-47 interior with long benches. Otherwise take it from the Revell AC-47 but it has only 2 very short side benches on the sprue.

OK before glueing something, antonkr, one more question: as Mistral made the IP in grey/black - was it special for his Dak or should I change my IP also to grey and leave it black in the middle?
For the interior buff I have Tamiya XF-57 and Revell 89 (both are very similar, Revell a little bit darker). Right or is it too dark?


tobiK,
I am not a modeler, but flew C47s from 1980 to 1984 when they were all camo outside, including the gunship and Skyshout variants, these were just normal line Daks that were fitted with a gun or a array of loudspeakers. I cannot advise on the Tamiya Colours, as I have no idea what the colours are.
As far as the gunship of Mistral is concerned, I also cannot comment as I have not seen it.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 14 Jan 2019, 19:40 
Offline

Joined: 16 Nov 2018, 00:38
Posts: 13
Hi antonkr,

how I feel honored to achieve interest from a real Dak driver! OK, here is the link to the WIP thread from Mistral:
http://www.saairforce.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3161&hilit=Trumpeter+C+47+C+47+dakota
And sorry for asking those typical questions from modellers. Had no clue that you are not a plastoholic. ;-)
So my plan: I prepare a new IP in bluegrey but keep the interior with the green benches. Will make the floor dark grey - black and all the walls in buff. Thanks for advice! Always welcome!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 19 Jan 2019, 13:57 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 18 Oct 2011, 16:54
Posts: 175
Location: Centurion
tobiK wrote:
Hi antonkr,

how I feel honored to achieve interest from a real Dak driver! OK, here is the link to the WIP thread from Mistral:
http://www.saairforce.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3161&hilit=Trumpeter+C+47+C+47+dakota
And sorry for asking those typical questions from modellers. Had no clue that you are not a plastoholic. ;-)
So my plan: I prepare a new IP in bluegrey but keep the interior with the green benches. Will make the floor dark grey - black and all the walls in buff. Thanks for advice! Always welcome!



:smt023 all the best with the build


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 21 Jan 2019, 07:50 
Offline

Joined: 12 Apr 2011, 20:49
Posts: 1389
Location: Zwartkop
The interior colours ( passenger compartment/ freight compartment) was painted in cream and mid green colours.

The closest colour straight out the tin is the Humbrol 71 Satin Oak painted on the roof, fuselage sides until below the windows.
Humbrol 101 Matt Mid Green for the lower portion of fuselage sides.

As far as I can remember the floor was black with anti-slip walkways.

I will try and confirm today of the floor and cockpit area colours.

6892 was taken on strength again by the SAAF in 1989 and as such didn't do any service, if any in the border war.
Previously 6892 served as 6849 for a very limited period as she was disposed of after WW2.

I would rather do another number Dak personally, decals shouldn't be a problem.

One important point when building a SAAF Dak,is to make sure of the amount of windows and their positioning on the fuselage sides as this also differed between the individual aircraft.

Another point is the fuselage door,some Dak's (VIP) only had the passenger door and not the cargo door.

Don't forget the toilet sky-light in the fuselage above the toilet.

Geoff


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 22 Jan 2019, 01:08 
Offline

Joined: 16 Nov 2018, 00:38
Posts: 13
Oh thanks Geoff!
What I could see from a cockpit pic: the sidewalls are green, window frame grey and the IP bluegrey with black instruments, same with the overhead IP. Controls and foot pedals are black. I already prepared the Cockpit parts like that. I hope I hit to tone of the colors. Otherwise there will not be much visible after the fuselage and windshield is glued in place.
Studying pics I already noticed the small window on the left side for the radio compartment and so I cut a square hole in the left plastic part and glued a clear piece of plastic. The window for the toilet I have not found. Maybe you have a pic where I can see that? So I will add it soon. Monogram has a square engraving on the right fuselage part but it is located over the back end of the cargo room. Seams wrong there!?
Also cut the "chicken butt" of the Dak and added a bit of structure inside the rear walls because I want to fix the cargo doors in open position.
Next step will be the painting of the interior.

Image

You are right about the number. Not many pics in the net from 6892 (no idea what was the reason why Zane printed decals just for that Dak. He should have proved the option for other numbers, too.). Was there a 6829? So I just have to change position of numbers, haha!
I also prefer to have Dak with the late prod. filter housing on top of the engines. (6892 has the small early intakes).

Here pics of cockpit parts. The bluegrey was mixed with Revell 50 and 75 using eyeball Mk.I. Details painted with black ink and white oil. Not so easy as Monogram made no sharp but flat instrument details. But it is ok for me and like I said before, later it will be...

Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 22 Jan 2019, 07:38 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: 29 Jun 2004, 17:19
Posts: 7496
tobiK wrote:

You are right about the number. Not many pics in the net from 6892 (no idea what was the reason why Zane printed decals just for that Dak. He should have proved the option for other numbers, too.). Was there a 6829? So I just have to change position of numbers, haha!


6829 may not be a bad choice!

It was a Douglas C-47A-10-DK Dakota, delivered to the SAAF in 1944 and sold in 1995, to become ZS-BXJ of the SAA Historic Flight. Photos of her in early SAAF colours and late SAAF maritime colours are on my website: http://www.saairforce.co.za/gallery-and ... a#viewport I'm sure photos of her in camo colours are around.

_________________
How come every time my ship comes in, I'm at the airport?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 22 Jan 2019, 12:56 
Offline

Joined: 12 Apr 2011, 20:49
Posts: 1389
Location: Zwartkop
tobiK,

6862 would also be an option as the numeral 6 is the same as the numeral 9 in the SAAF number font environment,however I don't know how accurate the decals are as the font on some of them is horrendously incorrect!

I did a walk-around Dak 6859 yesterday with a lot of photo's taken off everything possible.

Dean, can you perhaps help here?
I have roughly a 100 photo's that I can perhaps whattsapp you and then could you perhaps load them onto the site?

Dak 6829 had a sharper shape to the nose to accommodate the extra equipment, not the same shape as the standard Dak.

The toilet window is roughly situated in the space according to your photo of the stbd fuselage, second row of vertical ribs and the third row of horizontal ribs, roughly half the size of the space between the ribs.

The instrument panel is the correct shade of grey, instruments are not exactly in the same location as the real Dak as there's a cluster of 6 instruments with the A/H directly in front of the control column and the Alt to the right side on the panel. But who is going to see that on the model?

Cockpit colours are unique,especially when a flash is used and the true colours are seen!
Cockpit sound-proofing is a very dark shade of green, bit darker than "Bottle green", cockpit floor anti-slip black with green strips. The green is very close to Humbrol 80 matt Grass green.
This green is also used on the sides of the nav table and other stations in the forward cabin area.
Overhead panel is grey with black sections on the sides with a light grey section in the centre (with black section on it also).

There's also a skylight on the stbd cockpit area in the compartment across the nav table.

Flare gun shute above the small cockpit door,higher up at approx 3/4 way up on the fuselage side.

Hope this helps!

Geoff


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 22 Jan 2019, 13:54 
Offline

Joined: 16 Nov 2018, 00:38
Posts: 13
A lot of input!
I realized that some details Monogram made different from the SAAF Daks. I think they made an early WWII Dak. So the overhead IP is realy different from Mono to Trumpeter and so on. But...later hardly visible anymore.
My fave would be the 6859: there are many pics in the net! And yes, a walkaround is highly appreciated. Still many questions for landing gear, bays, exhaust, engine inner cowling...
OK, now I think I will find place of the toilet window and make it. But I am not a rivetcounter. It has to be there and it s ok.

You mention an overhead window over the nav.room: is it a small one flash to fuselage or the round half bubble (astrodome)?

The green inside Cockpit is close to the "old" interior green. I mixed it with Revell 360 and 67. Looks good so far! (HU 80 comes too late now) ;-)
But there will be the next modeller and will be thankful for those advices.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC + 2 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group