The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:49

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2018, 14:14 

I see an ad on the defenceweb website that Paramount's Mwari is now called Bronco II.

I presume this is due to their tie up with Boeing and for marketing globally?

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2018, 15:00 
Site Admin

I think the name is being used for the USAF light attack aircraft competition.

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2018, 15:09 

It's not a name change, Bronco II is another version of the Ahrlac/Mwari for the American market. If it wins orders it will be built in the US with American components, systems and weapons. Though it is generally considerred an outsider for the USAF "light attack" requirement it is intended to be competitive against "upgraded trainers and modified cropdusters" for US Foreign Military Sales (FMS) contracts.

Meanwhile the original Ahrlac and Mwari will continue to be built in Pretoria, it has no significant American components to avoid ITAR restrictions. Its comonents will mostly be sourced locally and from Europe (except the engine which is from Canada). An undisclosed number of Mwari have already been ordered by two clients and are currently under construction.

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2018, 18:01 

Roger the Dodger wrote:
It's not a name change, Bronco II is another version of the Ahrlac/Mwari for the American market. If it wins orders it will be built in the US with American components, systems and weapons. Though it is generally considerred an outsider for the USAF "light attack" requirement it is intended to be competitive against "upgraded trainers and modified cropdusters" for US Foreign Military Sales (FMS) contracts.

Meanwhile the original Ahrlac and Mwari will continue to be built in Pretoria, it has no significant American components to avoid ITAR restrictions. Its comonents will mostly be sourced locally and from Europe (except the engine which is from Canada). An undisclosed number of Mwari have already been ordered by two clients and are currently under construction.

Thanks for the info and clearing that up.