The SAAF Forum
http://www.saairforce.co.za/forum/

SAAF helmets
http://www.saairforce.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9773
Page 2 of 4

Author:  H1017412 [ 23 Aug 2018, 20:47 ]
Post subject:  Re: SAAF helmets

Presumably the Alpha 220 is UK manufactured? What helmet do Rooivalk crew use - TopOwl?

Author:  Dean [ 23 Aug 2018, 21:34 ]
Post subject:  Re: SAAF helmets

H1017412 wrote:
Presumably the Alpha 220 is UK manufactured?

Indeed, by Helmets Ltd prior to their take-over by Gentex.

H1017412 wrote:
What helmet do Rooivalk crew use - TopOwl?

AFAIK, yes.

Author:  Dean [ 28 Aug 2018, 18:29 ]
Post subject:  Re: SAAF helmets

Here's an interesting helmet I collected when on a brief trip to PE this past weekend: A Mk1A(M) with Type G inner liner and a throat mike, as used by a Flight Engineer of 16 Squadron (Port Elizabeth) when on the Alouette III. Note the cut-out for the FE's nose! :lol:

Image

Image

Author:  boertjie [ 29 Aug 2018, 07:53 ]
Post subject:  Re: SAAF helmets

Would be awesome to get your hands on the current 16 sqn Rooivalk helmet! :wink:
Although I do think these are slightly to scares and way to expensive to have them handed out to civilians, for now. Might be possible to get one ones these are discontinued or the Rooivalk is discontinued.

Author:  Dean [ 29 Aug 2018, 08:21 ]
Post subject:  Re: SAAF helmets

boertjie wrote:
Would be awesome to get your hands on the current 16 sqn Rooivalk helmet! :wink:


From your lips to G-ds ears! [-o<

Author:  Dean [ 17 Sep 2018, 11:12 ]
Post subject:  Re: SAAF helmets

Not something you see every day ... a Helmet Mk 1A(M) with boom mike and Type G inner liner, as used by SAAF helicopter crew (I believe this one was used a by Super Frelon crew member).

Image

Author:  Dean [ 23 Oct 2018, 15:55 ]
Post subject:  Re: SAAF helmets

What a nice surprise, my refurbished Elno (Gueneau) 316 helmet (with Ulmer 82 mask) was hand delivered today! :D

Image
This, and the Gueneau 317, must be one of the most recognisable helmets in the SAAF. First issued in 1986, they are still operationally used in small quantities.
Thanks MG! :smt023

Author:  H1017412 [ 23 Oct 2018, 19:39 ]
Post subject:  Re: SAAF helmets

Dean wrote:
First issued in 1986, they are still operationally used in small quantities.


On what aircraft types Dean?

Author:  Dean [ 23 Oct 2018, 21:39 ]
Post subject:  Re: SAAF helmets

Apart from many Reserve Force members still using those issued to them back in the day, the Elno 316 is still used by the Silver Falcons, as they can be painted without invalidating any manufacturer warranties.

Author:  Mars [ 23 Oct 2018, 22:41 ]
Post subject:  Re: SAAF helmets

Very nice 8) great condition, not easy to come by.

H1017412 wrote:
Dean wrote:
First issued in 1986, they are still operationally used in small quantities.


On what aircraft types Dean?
.

Firstly I am not Dean, but will take a shot at answering anyway.

In the SAAF it was used by Harvard, Impala, Mirage, Cheetah crew's. Not sure about Canberra's?

It was also used extensively by the French Air Force.

Author:  Dean [ 24 Oct 2018, 07:00 ]
Post subject:  Re: SAAF helmets

Sorry, I thought H1017412 meant on what types the 316 is still being used.

Pilots of the following types used the 316: Harvard, Buccaneer, Impala Mk I, Impala Mk II, PC-7 Mk II, Mirage III, Mirage F1, Cheetah C, Cheetah D, Cheetah E and Hawk.

Author:  H1017412 [ 24 Oct 2018, 20:22 ]
Post subject:  Re: SAAF helmets

Dean wrote:
Sorry, I thought H1017412 meant on what types the 316 is still being used.

Pilots of the following types used the 316: Harvard, Buccaneer, Impala Mk I, Impala Mk II, PC-7 Mk II, Mirage III, Mirage F1, Cheetah C, Cheetah D, Cheetah E and Hawk.


Correct Dean - and thanks Mars. Would it be fair to say it's one of the more or most widely issued helmet in recent SAAF history?

Author:  Dean [ 24 Oct 2018, 20:34 ]
Post subject:  Re: SAAF helmets

H1017412 wrote:
Would it be fair to say it's one of the more or most widely issued helmet in recent SAAF history?


Definitely!

It's helicopter companion is the Gueneau 317. Although superficially looking like the 316, it differs in a number of ways, such as having the mike/earphone lead coming out the back, having a chin strap, a single earphone holder tab on each side and, obviously, no mask clip receivers, but a boom mike.

Author:  Mars [ 24 Oct 2018, 22:50 ]
Post subject:  Re: SAAF helmets

Dean wrote:
H1017412 wrote:
Would it be fair to say it's one of the more or most widely issued helmet in recent SAAF history?


Definitely!

It's helicopter companion is the Gueneau 317. Although superficially looking like the 316, it differs in a number of ways, such as having the mike/earphone lead coming out the back, having a chin strap, a single earphone holder tab on each side and, obviously, no mask clip receivers, but a boom mike.


Difficult to comment without exact numbers, but I would have argued that Mk1 and variations would have been the most widely used based purely the types of aircraft it was used for.

Harvard, Impala, Mirage, Sabre, Vampire, Shackleton, Canberra, Wasp, Super Felon, Alouette, Puma

Author:  Mars [ 24 Oct 2018, 22:55 ]
Post subject:  Re: SAAF helmets

Dean wrote:
Sorry, I thought H1017412 meant on what types the 316 is still being used.

Pilots of the following types used the 316: Harvard, Buccaneer, Impala Mk I, Impala Mk II, PC-7 Mk II, Mirage III, Mirage F1, Cheetah C, Cheetah D, Cheetah E and Hawk.


Apologies, it was I that misread the question.

But it follows nicely on to a question I had, what helmet is currently used on the PC-7MkII's and Hawks. It looks like a newer version of the 316?

Page 2 of 4 All times are UTC + 2 hours
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
https://www.phpbb.com/