The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 09:27

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2017, 13:16 
Site Admin

Patchen Explorer ... I managed to get a flip in it in 1989 8)

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2017, 22:42 

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2017, 22:43 

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2017, 22:45 

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2017, 22:29 

AT6C wrote:
Nice photo's!

Harvard 7480 in her fresh coat of Dayglo after the ground loop some while back.

Pity that there's no photo of 7643 in her new paint!

7480 did not have a ground loop - that was 7072 (still under repair)

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2018, 05:57 

Roger the Dodger wrote:
MARS wrote:

What on earth is this ugly duckling? :shock: :shock: :shock:

That is the mighty Patchen Explorer! Built by Teal amphibians it is a one off prototype. You wont see another like it anywhere in the world. Was evaluated by the SAAF early 70's I think, as an FAC aircraft but was a bit light. The Bosbok was bought instead. Was actually also flown/evaluated by the RhodAF. It was my first Museum type and is a blast to fly, even if it has the worst control harmony! The ailerons feel like a 747's with hydraulic failure, the elevator is ok and the rudder shoots the ball off to one side if you rest the weight of your big toe on it. However the view from the cockpit is stunning, especially flying with the doors ope. True Helicopter vis at a fraction of the price! I did some great Museum trips, including an epic trip to the Ysterplatt airshow in.... oh boy, must have been around 87-88? Could have written a book on that trip alone. When posted to the Museum in 1999-200, I had to jump in to the Patch straight after a Spitfire display....had to say to myself Stop stop stop....and spent a few moments gathering my thoughts, and to adjust to the Patchen energy levels, compared to the power of the Spitfire. 150 Hp compared to 1650Hp... is a difference!

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2018, 08:48 
Site Admin

Jimmyjet wrote:
... I did some great Museum trips, including an epic trip to the Ysterplatt airshow in.... oh boy, must have been around 87-88? ...

18 March 1989 ... and I was your pax for the Friday validation! :wink:

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2018, 20:04 

That aircraft would make a great pub quiz question.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2018, 03:11 

Dean wrote:
Patchen Explorer ... I managed to get a flip in it in 1989 8)

Yes Dean when you mentioned it I thought well that must have been when I did that trip! It was epic! She always had a slight offset spinner, and when we landed in Beaufort to re-fuel, on the way to CT, we saw a huge crack had opened up at the base of the prop spinner. The spinner was removed and she's flown without one ever since. No effect, but does nothing for the oddball looks! I would always smile at airshows as when the Museum aircraft were parked together, like the amazing EP9 (another very rare bird), Fairchild, "Fieslike Torch" and Chipmunk, people would flock to look at the Patchen because it looked so weird! This would cause some muttering from the other "more classic aircraft" Musum pilots! At the Potch air show, years back, we got a request from a modelling agency for a stunning model to be photographed posing with a Museum aircraft, the one they chose....the Patch! I had to help her climb up near the engine and show her where she could safely put those pretty feet. As a young living in singly, I enjoyed that a lot! :D So great to see her alive and well and active at Swartkops! Like I said she is the only one in the world, requires very little maintenance and is attention grabbing. She did go through a re-design of the box structure upfront which supports the nose wheel, as at one stage this showed signs of stress. This did ground her for about a year or so. Apart from that, she runs like a little sewing machine. If lots of max up elevator is used, during take off/ landing rolls and even taxiing, this helps reduce the load on the nose wheel structure a lot. She sat for years gathering dust in a TFDC hanger in the old TFDC Waterkloof days after that initial evaluation and was almost scrapped, before someone had the great idea of donating her to the Museum, where she's lived ever since and been lovingly cared for by the awesome Museum Techo's. Has a 150HP, VP prop Lycoming, good power actually for that little aircraft. Landing is fun, you sit so low, that feels like you are about to start scraping your butt on the runway when she touches down! Throttle, mixture and pitch levers are in the roof, classic float plane style, so SOP, always wear good underarm if flying with pax! :D