The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 18 Jul 2019, 08:34

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2017, 07:49 

Hi Gents,

I am still working on my 3 SAAF Mirage models, painting stage and just noticed that on all the photos I can find on the Internet, the tanks used on the SAAF Mirage III were not painted, always natural metal, just a coincidence ?

Thanks.

Mike

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2017, 09:51 

Hi Kangourou

Good to hear more mirages are on the way!

To answer your question .Generally drop tanks were always natural metal, its only towards the end when some of the Mirages were painted grey that a few the drop tanks were also painted grey. This applies mainly to the Recce Mirages.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2017, 18:55 

Looks like only the 1,300 liter tanks on IIIs were painted in grey. Supersonic wing tanks natural metal. Some of the F1 tanks were camo.

Can't wait to see more SAAF Mirages :smt023

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2017, 02:52 

Hi Gents,

Thanks for your answers, I will just have the supersonic tanks in natural and the 1300L in grey then.

And some good other news ! it seems that I will have to go back in South Africa, this time with few days at J'burg and few weeks at Richards Bay. \:D/
Not sure of when but definitely not before before few months at least.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2017, 10:43 

You could also have one grey and the other natural metal.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2017, 11:34 

MARS wrote:
You could also have one grey and the other natural metal.

Hi Marc, just painted the supersonic tanks natural and the 1300L in grey this afternoon, as well as the beginning of the camo on the planes, will keep me busy for a while...

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2017, 08:19 

I'm interested in what Colour schemes you're doing the three in. I've only got pics of a grey RZ with one silver and one grey 1300 liter wing tank. All others show either two 1300 or two supersonic wings tanks in natural metal. Only other configuration is two supersonic wing tanks and one centerline tank.

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2017, 12:38 

Mistral wrote:
I'm interested in what Colour schemes you're doing the three in. I've only got pics of a grey RZ with one silver and one grey 1300 liter wing tank. All others show either two 1300 or two supersonic wings tanks in natural metal. Only other configuration is two supersonic wing tanks and one centerline tank.

Hi Malcolm, how is it going Mate?
All planes will have the three colour shemes , Dark Green, Deep Buff and grey underside. I will use the PJ Production decals for the IIIRZ (838, the one at Swartkop) and the IIID2Z (851) , as for the IIIEZ (842), I have to get the MAV 720153 decal sheet.

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2017, 19:44 

So three green/buff/grey schemes- cool :smt023

Be careful to check references as there were two types of buff/green camo - the CZ was finished in either the early hard edged glossy finish or the later feathered edge matt finish. The EZ in hard edged glossy finish. The BZ, R2Z and DZ/D2Z in hard edged glossy camo as well. RZs were delivered in NATO green/grey camo but later painted in soft edge, matt buff/green camo. Also remember that the underside colour for buff/green aircraft was actually a light blue and not light grey.

With respect to tanks (I've put in brackets the Mirage III type where I've seen images of a specific tank combo) :

Two wing mounted RP62 (1,300 liter) subsonic tanks with horizontal fins and endplates - could be natural metal or grey (grey on glow vis RZ aircraft). (Mirage IIICZ/EZ/RZ).
Two wing mounted RP18R (500 liter) supersonic tanks. These tanks had no tail fins. Natural metal, except on aircraft carrying commemorative schemes (Mirage IIICZ #800). (Mirage IIICZ/BZ/DZ/EZ/RZ)
Two wing mounted RP18R (500 liter) supersonic tanks and one centreline RP825 tank (825 liter) - seen pics of RZs in this configuration. The latter tank is longer and larger in diameter than the RP18R and has horizontal tail fins. Both natural metal. (Mirage IIIRZ).
Single centreline RP825 tank (825 liter) (Mirage IIICZ/EZ/RZ)
Two 110G supersonic wing tanks (volume ??) with 3 cruciform tail fins. These are typical of what was seen later on the Cheetahs and Kfirs. Natural metal. (Mirage IIICZ).
Two wing mounted 110G supersonic tanks and one centreline RP825 tank (825 liter). Natural metal. (Mirage IIICZ / RZ).
Also supersonic wing tanks with two bomb shackles in tandem (Mirage IIIC) - not sure of designation. May well be a version of the 110G as they have three tail fins.
Two wing mounted JL100 combined fuel tank (250 liter) / 68mm rocket launcher pods. Natural metal. (Mirage IIICZ/EZ/BZ/DZ).
Two wing mounted RP62 (1,300 liter) tanks and a centreline RP825 (Mirage IIIRZ and R2Z).
Two wing mounted 1,700 liter tanks (Mirage IIIR2Z).

Remember that many of the tanks (RP62, RP18R, RP825 and 110G) were sprayed in an orange protective coating which would flake off making for an interesting finish on a model. Please note that the above is certainly not definitive and is based on actual configurations I've seen in various images found on books and on the net.

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2017, 05:39 

Hi Malcolm,

That’s a nice load of information you have here ! Thank for all these info.

I am afraid it is too late for the underside I have painted light grey, pretty close to the colour of the IIIRZ at Zwartkop.

About the edges, I will use mastic tape, so they will be sharp edges. At 1/72, I don’t think it make a big difference and I am pretty hopeless with an Airbrush too, so no way I can do it free hand at that scale, I would lose my sanity, or what’s left of it, and I have never been satisfied when I tried to use masks slightly above the painting surface so the edge would not be sharp.

As for the tanks, I have made two sets of supersonic and 1 set of 1300L in natural metal, and will make a set of 1300L in grey (I have a bunch of spares) then will choose at the end, but it seems that both options are ok if I understood well.

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2017, 18:22 
Honorary Order of the Trommel

Kangourou wrote:
Hi Gents,

I am still working on my 3 SAAF Mirage models, painting stage and just noticed that on all the photos I can find on the Internet, the tanks used on the SAAF Mirage III were not painted, always natural metal, just a coincidence ?

Thanks.

Mike

Mirage III 817 with camo top and Grey/blue bottom Tanks, and have slide somewhere of DZ's at Durban with the same scheme.

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2017, 20:51 

Great pic thanks. :smt023 I think we need to get all those images out there into a repository on t
his website for posterity. Way too much good info not in the public domain :( . Please post more [-o<

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2017, 07:55 

Hi Pepster,

The painted tanks are indeed on a Mirage III but look at the castle insignia, it is post 1994. The Mirage III B ' were in 2 Squadron service only till 1989. The above photo probably on the airshow circuit with a badly researched repaint as the soft edged cammo was also never on a III B during squadron service. I prefer not to use museum restored or war-bird references when building a model.

Hope it helps

Joker

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2017, 09:35 
Honorary Order of the Trommel

Joker wrote:
Hi Pepster,

The painted tanks are indeed on a Mirage III but look at the castle insignia, it is post 1994. The Mirage III B ' were in 2 Squadron service only till 1989. The above photo probably on the airshow circuit with a badly researched repaint as the soft edged cammo was also never on a III B during squadron service. I prefer not to use museum restored or war-bird references when building a model.

Hope it helps

Joker

As I remember, the castle stated to go in 1982, https://flagspot.net/flags/za-airf.html

U have a slide somewhere of DZ at Durban, with Gerrie Radlof and Dick Lord in front of a DZ with the same tanks.

Must look for it, aslo unsure.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2017, 10:45 

Hi Pepster,

The castle on your photo has an eagle inside and not springbok, which dates it as post 1994.

Joker