The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 21:58

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2013, 08:49 

Hi guys

I suspect you've been eagerly awaiting this book from Graeme who now lives in Australia. I was lucky to visit him before Christmas and be shown his research and what he's collected to make this two-volume history happen. I know the word "epic" is thrown around a lot these days but nothing else can describe this book. Graeme has sent me an advance copy for review. It's been printed in Hobart and every inch of it exudes quality. The paper stock is top notch, the photo reproduction is perfect and the colours of the original artwork (like the cover) bring the whole thing to life. Other than that I'm pretty much at a loss for words as to how well Graeme has done this. It does not read like a dry squadron history but more like a a masterfully crafted narrative. The commissioned pencil sketches and paintings - the same idea as Graeme's earlier Coastal Strike - have to be seen to be believed. The two South African artists, Sean Thackwray and Darryl Legg, deserve to have their work seen and collected worldwide alongside the likes of Taylor, Trudigan etc. So much for being at a loss for words!

The book runs through the squadron's history "from South West Africa to Cyrenaica 1939-1943" (with volume two obviously taking up the tale with the arrival of the Beaufighters) and finishes with appendices of aircraft histories, highly accurate profiles (more than 20) and, as you'd imagine, a very comprehensive bibliography. I am still digesting this book and still can't quite fathom what is before me. This is a squadron that deserved a strong work to honour their memory and it has certainly got that. Path Of Duty is simply brilliant.

I need to write a proper, well thought out review to get into some magazines (and on my site) as soon as possible but thought I'd give you SAAF types a heads-up as I know you'll be blown away like I am and most certainly appreciate it on a few more levels than me from a fellow countrymen point of view. A book like this makes me reflect on why I love aircrew books so much. Close to 500 pages of perfection - it looks great, feels great and even smells great!

To indicate your interest in a copy, drop Graeme a line - graemegibson6ATbigpond.com

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2013, 09:04 

This is fantastic!!! \:D/ I have some notes to compare with Greame. Will email him right now!

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2013, 10:56 

Hi Guys.
Just to amplify what Andy said.
I zlso helped Graeme with the proof read.
The photos are cleaned up and looks brilliant.
Photos you have never seen before.
Usually the narrative of East Africa and Madagascar is rather boring, but he wrote it in such a way that you don't
realise you are reading history.
All a.c serials are in, and a big technical section as in Aegean Pirates.
Will be expensive, but worth it, so save up now.
He just got it back from the printers, so it's on the way

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2013, 16:52 

Cover looks excellent!

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2013, 00:07 

That's just the tip of the iceberg, Tinus. Wait till you see the artwork inside.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2013, 01:46 

Graeme has worked out the pricing. If you order before the end of October, you can buy a copy for A$75. After October, the price will be A$88. Don't worry about conversion to Rand. Graeme will have a price in Rand when he replies to your email. He has been very conscious to keep it affordable. Considering the content and quality it is the greatest bargain for a new book you will see for some time.

Still not sure where/when it will be available in SA stores but if you want to order direct from Graeme he's also working on an affordable postage solution.

graemegibson6ATbigpond.com

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2013, 10:59 

Graeme contacted me for info on my Father (William Peter Ridley) who flew in 16 Squadron. The book is at the Binders and will be out in 2 weeks time. Very exciting news.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2013, 11:14 

Hi Guys.
I just received Graeme's book.
It is absolutely brilliant.
The photos and art work look very good
The profiles and art were done by Darryl Lagg and Sean Thackwray, so you must know the quality is tops
A must buy.
Stefaan

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2013, 13:46 

Stefaan wrote:
Hi Guys.
I just received Graeme's book.
It is absolutely brilliant.
The photos and art work look very good
The profiles and art were done by Darryl Lagg and Sean Thackwray, so you must know the quality is tops
A must buy.
Stefaan

Wow, wow, wow! =D>

This book is a 'must' for all SAAF enthusiasts.

Received my copy in the mail today. - Stunning art work and colour profiles. Plenty of previously unpublished photos of Allied and Vichy French aircraft. Great read! \:D/ Can’t put it down.

Thanks Graeme! :smt023

PostPosted: 29 May 2014, 14:50 

Hi guys

It's been a while since I had the chance to get on here. Graeme has recently moved house but he still has a few copies of Path Of Duty left. It is an absolute bargain at A$75-90 a copy when I know it cost at least A$120 per copy to print. Those of you who already have the book will understand the cost given the high quality paper stock used. It is heavy so the postage does push things up but if you're prepared to wait for surface mail from Australia then it begins to look a bit more affordable. It's certainly worth it.

The second edition, Road To Glory, is on hold as Graeme settles in to his new job and unpacks but the first draft was well and truly finished some months ago and Graeme had already begin the refining process. This will be one for the Beaufighter nuts which, really, means all of us. I've seen a lot of combat stills, and Graeme is being careful not to include every single one so as to avoid repetition, and some are impressive and become even more so when you realise how low the photographing aircraft is and the crazy angle the horizon is on! The second volume, in reality, is probably still a year away but, like it's predecessor, I think it will be superb.

He also has the last copies of Clements' Coastal Strike available. He was also approached by the family of RAAF Beaufighter pilot David Whishaw last year. They had found several boxes of his book That Airman! in storage and wanted to get his story out there again. David and I have a pile of NOS first editions in mint condition if anyone is interested. We do have a thing for Beaus!

PostPosted: 29 May 2014, 20:13 

To be really honest here, I know a few people who have contributed to the book and have actually seen 3 copies of it wrapped in cellophane.

At the going price of R950 per book it is unfortunately WAY OUT of my bracket, let alone any further parts / volumes!

Hopefully the local library will have a copy in the future!

Geoff

PostPosted: 30 May 2014, 05:45 

AT6C wrote:
seen 3 copies of it wrapped in cellophane.

Not sure what you mean there, Geoff. Is that how they're sold in SA or you've seen them as gifts?

Apologies if the above sounded like a bit of a hard sell. It's just that I'm so passionate about what Graeme has produced and don't want SA enthusiasts to miss out.

PostPosted: 30 May 2014, 06:40 

Andy Wright wrote:
Not sure what you mean there, Geoff. Is that how they're sold in SA or you've seen them as gifts

In my "spare time" I run the SAAF Museum Aviation Shop at AFB Zwartkop and have 3 books in stock at the moment.

I don't know of any other retailers in SA, but these copies have a cellophane wrapping, so I can't even open them to have a peek!

Geoff

PostPosted: 30 May 2014, 14:09 

Ah, cool, one place I haven't had a chance to visit yet. I'll send you an email or PM with some of the artwork attached if you like.

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2014, 10:30 

To add, I have a copy and it is a superlative piece of work, both in content and production quality. I knew Col Geoff Downer and his son Paul "Upsidedowner" both fine gentlemen, when I was in the SAAF. Col Downer was involved with the SAAF Museum for a number of years and was a well known member of 16 Sqn and Baufighter pilot in the war. I hear the author has done/is doing a 19 Sqn history?