The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:44

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2004, 12:08 

A Boeing 747 might soon be flying between Polokwane and Johannesburg on a regular basis as part of the Limpopo province's plans for Pietersburg International Airport.

A reliable source in the provincial department of transport said one of the reasons for the planned introduction of larger planes was "to encourage people to rather fly than drive and to ease traffic congestion on the roads".

People apparently seldom make use of smaller planes flying daily between Polokwane and Johannesburg because these planes are "too uncomfortable".

Sarah Uys for South African Airways (SAA) confirmed enquiries by a developer about the possibility of flights with larger planes.

Uys said SAA were not planning to introduce larger planes on the route as there was no demand for it.

Phuti Mabelebele said the transport department decided to focus on Pietersburg International Airport and would no longer attempt to obtain an international licence for Eastway Airport at Hoedspruit.

As part of the expansion, Pietersburg International Airport will get a big new building with, among other things, arrival and departure halls. The extension of the runway tops the agenda and work is expected to start soon.

The developments also form part of the preparation for the 2010 World Cup soccer tournament. Some games will be played in Polokwane.

As published on News24.com
Article by Retha Fourie
http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Afri ... 33,00.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Jul 2004, 13:53 
Site Admin

After reading this, I had to look look at the calendar to reasure myself it wasn't 1 April :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Jul 2004, 00:37 

Haha, me too. I think whoever came up with that idea needs to have their head examined, there's something not working too well up there. :D