The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 10:24

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
PostPosted: 24 Nov 2013, 19:57 

Spent five nights overlooking the bay in lovely quiet surroundings.

I took the picture below just to show what the area looks like on a sunny day, as opposed to the two pictures above upon our arrival. This picture is looking north across the bay and the wreck, if I interpret the map from AK correctly, is in the water near the little chapel.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2015, 02:26 

I would very much like to contact Martin Dellow who's father was the Observer on KV930 - he did submit info on this post?
Hope that someone can assist?

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2015, 00:30 

Long term investigation and search came to an end. After almost ten years we have full and complited answers to all questions and data citeb.

26.01.1944, 08:48 , airstip Berka III, Libya.
Four Beaufighters of 227 Squadron take of for an offensive sweep at South Morea ( Lakonian & Messinian Gulfs). They have several incidents and succes up to the time of 11:17 where trying to hit a
" ...two masted caique 80 tons anchored in bay, bordered on three sides by high hills up to 1200 feet. Two attacks in which all aircraft dropped bombs with unobserved results. Vessel damaged by many with cannon. In diving to attack, "E" was seen to crash into the sea, apparently unable to pull out of dive. Further attacks abandoned owing to difficulty of approach. "E" disintergrated and no survivors were seen...." (according official report documents).
Three remaining aircrafts continue sweep and returned back to base at 13:47 same day.

Crew of J.L. 708 "E" both killed in action, pilot instantaneous, but navigator severe wounded rescued from the sea by a local fisherman and dispite first aids he passed away after a while, layed on the same dock where the vessel was sunking dehind.

Pilot. F/O Alexander Harold Will, s/n 420093, R.A.A.F. Australian, Age 20
Navigator. F/O Brian Findley, s/n 136376, R.A.F.V.R. British, Age 20

Both received a Cristian funeral with all values should and military honors from passage of resistance forces was present. Later officially were transfered to British cemetery of Phaleron Athens where laid still at 7C19 and 4C10 respectively.
12th August 1944, 227 Squadron R.A.F. renamed to 19 Squadron S.A.A.F.

I want to thanks all SAAF community and to individuals one by one for your help. Without this help I never reach the end of this search.

Andreas Kyriakouleas.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2015, 08:12 
Site Admin

Thank you Andreas for your feedback and dedication.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2015, 19:01 

Tally-ho wrote:
Spent five nights overlooking the bay in lovely quiet surroundings.

I took the picture below just to show what the area looks like on a sunny day, as opposed to the two pictures above upon our arrival. This picture is looking north across the bay and the wreck, if I interpret the map from AK correctly, is in the water near the little chapel.

That is correct, the remains of the aircraft laid in this area in front of the little church just behind of the ancient wreck.

PostPosted: 01 May 2015, 23:08 

pietrzak wrote:
I would very much like to contact Martin Dellow who's father was the Observer on KV930 - he did submit info on this post?
Hope that someone can assist?

Hi pietrzak, I'm Martin Dellow, I have sent you a pm message

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2015, 15:53 

Here are some photos from my dive on 07-10-2015

Aileron?

Oxygen tanks?

The biggest piece of wreckage with a diver to give an idea of size

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2019, 13:22 

Hello,

I know it's been awhile since anyone has posted on this, but I am looking for information on the Bristol Beaufighter that is just off Paros. From pictures and videos it looks really well preserved, but I am trying to see if that antenna in the nose has remained intact. Does anyone know if it has? Or even better, got a clear picture of the front of the plane?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks! :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11