The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 12 May 2024, 18:02

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Marauder pilot Dave Dent
PostPosted: 09 May 2013, 15:13 

I recently visited Dave Dent. He lives in Kimberley and is a great story-teller. He flew with 12 squadron in Italy and had a successful and eventful combat tour.
Here his web site:

http://saafww2pilots.yolasite.com/dave-dent.php

Here the story of how he won a DFC (story also in the excellent book of Dean):

Dave standing next to the huge Marauder prop

PostPosted: 09 May 2013, 22:09 

What a great story, pictures and video Tinus!

Many of the place names mentioned in Italy such as, Bari, Termoli, Campo Marino are places my Uncle had been to as well. In letters home he at times mentioned these place names. I have the remaining letters in my possession.

Did Dave Dent ever mention or tell you about the flying qualities of the B-26 Marauder? As you may know there is an opinion that it was a tricky aircraft to fly, more so the landing because of those stubby wings necessitating a high landing speed.

Thank you for posting that interview, it brings further quality to the visit I have just made to Tienie Bekker's final resting place in Belgrade.

Their's be the glory!

PostPosted: 10 May 2013, 18:24 

Tally-ho wrote:
What a great story, pictures and video Tinus!

Many of the place names mentioned in Italy such as, Bari, Termoli, Campo Marino are places my Uncle had been to as well. In letters home he at times mentioned these place names. I have the remaining letters in my possession.

Did Dave Dent ever mention or tell you about the flying qualities of the B-26 Marauder? As you may know there is an opinion that it was a tricky aircraft to fly, more so the landing because of those stubby wings necessitating a high landing speed.

Thank you for posting that interview, it brings further quality to the visit I have just made to Tienie Bekker's final resting place in Belgrade.

Their's be the glory!

Dave told me incredibly lots of tales regarding the Marauder. It was a definite brute in the air with the two massive engines driving a relative small airframe.

He told me about their replacement OC from 24 sqdn who had a previous tour with Bostons and refused a familiarisation course on Marauders. On his first op, in full view of Dave, he was getting up to speed for the take-off but the aircraft never left the ground, disintegrating in an orchard, killing everyone except the one gunner who was found in a tree.

Dave said that the initial batch Marauders that was delivered to the USAAF was problematic and hence the nick name of widowmaker. Changes were made to wing span and reduced weight and the initial dangers were thus removed. It was still a high-speed heavy wing-loading plane with critical take-off and landing aspects, but a great plane to fly and could take a lot of damage.

PostPosted: 10 May 2013, 22:29 

Thank you Tinus! Capturing these stories and experiences are gold!