The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 20:33

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 20 Nov 2012, 08:42 

cyber2000 wrote:
If you are interested I can send you a book for free. Just give me your physical address. The book is not in English, but is based primarily on photographs and has a summary in English.

That is very kind of you! I have sent you private message. Many thanks and kind regards.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2012, 10:24 

This is fascinating...totally absorbing. Thanks all :smt023

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2012, 23:17 

Hi there.

Does anyone know why HD667 was carrying an extra gunner? Six was the normal crew for SAAF Marauders and she had seven men onboard.

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2012, 23:26 

baboon6 wrote:
Hi there.
Does anyone know why HD667 was carrying an extra gunner? Six was the normal crew for SAAF Marauders and she had seven men onboard.

On page 2 of this subject, you will find the following:-

Quote:
I am also about to post a doc from a nephew of Sgt J Cox (RAF) who was on board 667 when it went down. In his account he mentions that an extra crew member on this sortie was WO Thirion, who went with for the ride on his first ops sortie of the war, which was also his last ( this is so tragic about this specific mission).

Hope that answers your question.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2012, 02:00 

Tally-ho wrote:
baboon6 wrote:
Hi there.

On page 2 of this subject, you will find the following:-

Quote:
I am also about to post a doc from a nephew of Sgt J Cox (RAF) who was on board 667 when it went down. In his account he mentions that an extra crew member on this sortie was WO Thirion, who went with for the ride on his first ops sortie of the war, which was also his last ( this is so tragic about this specific mission).

Hope that answers your question.

Thanks I missed that.

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2013, 09:08 

Tally-ho wrote:
cyber2000 wrote:
If you are interested I can send you a book for free. Just give me your physical address. The book is not in English, but is based primarily on photographs and has a summary in English.

That is very kind of you! I have sent you private message. Many thanks and kind regards.

Hi Mislav (Cyber2000)

I am back in England and have collected my mail and what a wonderful surprise I had - your book!

May I extend my sincere thanks and appreciation for your kindness in this regard! I have paged through it and will page through it again, taking my time to have a proper look at those photos of Senj during the Allied (25 Sqd SAAF) bombing campaign to dislodge the Wehrmacht from that area. It is clear that Senj suffered considerable damage during this period 1944/1945 and credit must go to those who rebuilt the town after the war.

We walked around Senj for quite some hours and I was fully absorbed by the remains and restored parts of the 'old town'. We also enjoyed a very well made and presented Fish Platter at the restaurant near the port, where the motorhome / campingcar campsite is now situated. Your book clearly shows pictures of that same area after heavy bomb damage - quite a surreal feeling in having been there myself in September 2012.

With best wishes and thank you again!

Marius

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2013, 17:11 

Tally-ho wrote:
... I am back in England and have collected my mail ....
Glad you guys are safe & sound back at home .. =D>

Now I'll get back onto your Marauder !!

Can't believe it has been ten months ... or 17,000km \:D/ :smt023 :D

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2013, 09:35 

Kremlin wrote:
Tally-ho wrote:
... I am back in England and have collected my mail ....
Glad you guys are safe & sound back at home .. =D>

Now I'll get back onto your Marauder !!

Thanks Kremlin!

We are on the road again at the end of April and will then make for Belgrade in Serbia, more specifically the Belgrade War Cemetery (CWGC Section) where I hope to see the final resting place of Lt MC Bekker and the rest of the crew of HD667. I will be the first, and probably only member of the family, to ever visit this cemetery to pay respects. I (we) aim to be there by mid May, all being well. I am both fortunate and proud to make this journey, and will of course post pictures of the visit on this Forum.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We Will Remember Them

PostPosted: 08 May 2013, 19:09 

The quest for finality and the paying of respects, not only to Lt M.C. Bekker but also to his fellow crew members, was accomplished today. This homage some 68 years to the month since their fatal last flight, will always be remembered and cherished by me.

This was my intention when I first started this thread / subject in January 2012. My gratitude and appreciation to all who contributed with information, knowledge and comments. I must mention the name of Brent Best (Kremlin) who supplied me with archived details of this last mission and most importantly the formula for reworking the Grid References used in 1945, to locate the position of the German AA gun emplacements and the crash site of Marauder HD667 east of Zagreb in Croatia, former Yugoslavia.

Lt M.C. Bekker, 25 Sqd SAAF, 4 May 1945, aged 21.
Remembered in the Belgrade War Cemetery in Serbia, former Yugoslavia.

Belgrade War Cemetery in Serbia, picture taken 8 May 2013.

At The Going Down Of The Sun, And In The Morning
We Will Remember Them

Last edited by Tally-ho on 12 May 2018, 16:53, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 08 May 2013, 22:38 

That's a great outcome there TH. :smt023

Just wondering, why does one headstone not have a cross on it?

PostPosted: 09 May 2013, 09:44 

H1017412 wrote:
That's a great outcome there TH. :smt023

Just wondering, why does one headstone not have a cross on it?

Not sure, I'm of the opinion that perhaps he had no religious affiliation. I will endeavor to clarify it.

PostPosted: 09 May 2013, 09:45 

This Belgrade cemetery is huge, with different sections containing the remains from various Balkan communities and time spans. Unless you know what you are looking for, you could spend days trying to find it. As it happened I knew in what area to look, but still needed to pinpoint the exact location. The information board is in Cyrillic script, so I hauled two passing guys in from the pavement outside and they found what I was looking for - British war graves from WW2. Most younger people speak English here, learnt at school.
So on we went to the section hoping to find a headstone of Lt M.C. "Tienie" Bekker. The rest is history as you know. The Commonwealth War Graves Commission (CWGC) keeps their walled and designated area in pristine condition, the Cross of Remembrance had a new wreath placed there by the British Embassy in Serbia dated 25 April 2013, a few days before the end of hostilities (VE Day) in the month of May.

Herewith three more pictures of my visit:-

This information board re the outlay of the Cemetery is in Cyrillic script.
The CWGC section is the white block in the top right area.

A short synopsis of the war in Yugoslavia.
Of interest is that 348 of the 481 buried here are Allied Airmen shot down over Yugoslavia, 43 of them South African.

The seven headstones denoting the crew of Marauder HD667.
- Sgt R.S. Neale RAF Air Gunner
- Sgt J.G.H. Cox RAF Air Gunner
- Lt M.C. Bekker SAAF Co-Pilot
- Capt D.E. Harding SAAF Observer
- Lt L.J. van Rooyen SAAF Pilot
- W/O1 J. Smit SAAF Air Gunner
- W/O1 J.N. Thirion SAAF Air Gunner

I placed the poppy wreath in the centre of the seven headstones simply as a reference point, with the bunch of flowers in front of Lt Bekker's headstone.

They went with songs to the battle, they were young
They fell with their faces to the foe.

Ode of Remembrance
Laurence Binyon

Last edited by Tally-ho on 10 May 2013, 22:09, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: 09 May 2013, 10:38 
Site Admin

Thanks Tally-Ho, a fitting tribute. =D> :prayer:

PostPosted: 09 May 2013, 14:20 

Marius thanks for the pics; great to see that the cemetry where our SAAF guys lay is well looked after and in proper condition.

PostPosted: 09 May 2013, 14:41 

Marius I went through this thread and must say it is a moving story and the whole episode must have been be a fulfilling experience for you. Thanks for all pics and postings.
I met and interviewed three weeks ago Lawrie Shuttleworth, the OC of 25 squadron (in Italy until Nov'44) who is 98, lives in Kimberley and is in excellent health. He orchestrated the squadron's conversion from Venturas to Marauders and was then transferred to 15 sqn.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next