The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 20 Sep 2019, 07:11

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2011, 17:19 

Hi all,can you good people help,I was just wondering what colour the Wasp was when it was in service with the SAAF it looks like it was PRU blue from photos,is this correct ?

Many Thanks

Adam :)

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2011, 17:35 

From “A portrait of Military Aviation in Southern Africa" by Ron Belling.

Quote:
Westland Wasp
The Wasps were finished in overall gloss Dark Sea Grey (BSC638), with White lettering. Engines were mainly silver with some light grey areas. The flotation balls were dull Yellow and deep Blue-Green. Starboard tailboom read ‘Navy’, port read ‘Vloot’. The serial number was repated on the nose. Some carried squadron or ships badge on the lower section of the nose. Main rotor blades were medium sea grey upper surfaces and black undersurfaces. Tail rotor blades were red, white and black with natural metal leading edges. Top of the canopy glazing was tinted.

Dark Sea Grey :smt023

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2011, 08:08 

The Castle size on the fuselage was 18".

The fuselage / tail-boom serial and titles (NAVY / VLOOT ) was 6" high and white in colour.

The overall colour reference referred to as Dark Sea Grey would also depend on the era that the Wasp was operated in.
Other very reliable sources ( one now deceased) referred to the overall colour as Extra Dark Sea Grey BSC 640.

The number on the nose was 12" high.

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2011, 10:45 

Excellent :D thanks for your help :smt023

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2011, 11:10 

AT6C wrote:
The overall colour reference referred to as Dark Sea Grey would also depend on the era that the Wasp was operated in

At one period they used a matt paint instead of glossy, as well. At least they did on one helicopter! Sometime in the late sixties IIRC. It didn't last long though. It felt "gritty" when one ran one's hand over it.

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2011, 18:09 

Thanks for that additional info AT6C :smt023

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2012, 21:29 
Honorary Order of the Trommel

Not sure if this is of interest, but I took these pics at a 22 Squadron function back in the 80's I think. Folk may like to identify some of the personalities in photo, as I don't have a clue. Memory gone :(

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2012, 22:59 

Doug wrote:
Not sure if this is of interest, but I took these pics at a 22 Squadron function back in the 80's I think. Folk may like to identify some of the personalities in photo, as I don't have a clue. Memory gone :(

Looks a vague bit like Dennis Earp and the pilot looks a bit like Brandewyn Jan. Put whereas your memory might be gone so are my spectacles.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2012, 17:33 

Eugene wrote:
Doug wrote:

Looks a vague bit like Dennis Earp and the pilot looks a bit like Brandewyn Jan. Put whereas your memory might be gone so are my spectacles.

One good party, it was the day we celebrated Wasp 21st 'birthday' in SAAF service. The pilot was Major Alan Reynolds.

Left hand Photo: Alan Reynolds; (civvy ???); Col Breytenbach (OC AFB Yplt); Cmdt Gert Theron (22 Sqn OC)

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2012, 18:03 

Spice wrote:
One good party, it was the day we celebrated Wasp 21st 'birthday' in SAAF service. The pilot was Major Alan Reynolds.

Left hand Photo: Alan Reynolds; (civvy ???); Col Breytenbach (OC AFB Yplt); Cmdt Gert Theron (22 Sqn OC)

The civvy is Oom Stofstrepie, Gen Constand Viljoen, CSADF at the time, not sure why he was in civvies. In the right hand photo, the civvy on the far right looks like Brig Gen Dick Lord.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2012, 21:30 

Hi Anton,

I agree with Gen Viljoen in the left hand photo. Is it not Brig (I think at the time) Tom Stegemann in the right hand photo. Was he not OC Southern Air Command at the time?

Cheers,
Piet v S

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2012, 00:01 

I could also only identify General Viljoen although he seems to look older than he should for a photo of this period?

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2012, 09:02 

saafcolours wrote:
Hi Anton,

I agree with Gen Viljoen in the left hand photo. Is it not Brig (I think at the time) Tom Stegemann in the right hand photo. Was he not OC Southern Air Command at the time?

Cheers,
Piet v S

Hi Piet, quite right =D> , Brig Tom Stegemann it is, OC SAC

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2012, 14:50 

Thanks guys for the help with ID personnel. You've all helped jog my memory and certainly Gen C Viljoen was present...that's is factual (got autograph). Appreciate input.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2018, 17:30 

I have just come across this photo I took at the Military Academy Airshow at Saldanha back in the 80's and I don't think I have previously posted same. In any event the old links to Photobucket are no longer, so it may be of interest given it must be quite a rare photo with the ditching of Wasp 82.

82 Westland Wasp HAS1 F.9551 22 Sqn 01/10/1963 02-Jun-92 sold 8/8/67: sank in sea off Cape Town, rebuilt. Sold to Glamco Aviation, Singapore.