The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 12:52

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: 250 ADAG
PostPosted: 14 Nov 2016, 10:37 

SM79 wrote:
Then who operated the wheels to rotate and elevate the weapons? . . . Was it an easy task, or there were any attempt to mount an electric drive to them?

I don't know about the original system, but I was at Teklogic (which became Altech Defence Systems which became African Defence Systems) in Richards Drive, Halfway House, quite often in 1992 and 1993 on a different project. Teklogic had a number of ZSU 23-2 rigs in the hanger out the back - they were being converted to powered / remote operation. I don't know details, my impression is that these would be slaved to some separate fire control system (radar based or FLIR based, I guess). Those mechanized guns were f'ing amazing when they were slewing around - they always had barriers around them to stop anyone walking in the way. I don't know if those were production or prototype.

I think that Teklogic was also doing the conversion of the Cactus systems to container-based at about that time, so there were a number of the original Cactus vehicles parked behind the main building as well.

PostPosted: 07 May 2018, 15:15 

Hi there, I was in 250 A.D.A.G. in 1984 -1985 as airman, and were trained on the Hilda units. My memory is very bad. I do not have pictures though - did not have the privilege of a camera. Only the 1 where we posed at Valhalla during basics. It was during the days of flight Lubbe (surnames allowed?). I remember staying in the tents on arrival in 1984. Then as you progress to 'min dae' and 'ou manne' stage, we later on moved to the bungalows. We had lots of 'af tjop', and I also dared to mock one of the corporals with a name he disliked - I think it was "Peppie" or something. He then wanted to know who it was - and not wanting all to 'tjop' off or me get hit afterwards - so I put up my hand. And then I had to 'flip' a large truck / tractor tire at the back of the 121 squadron yard, just before lunch. The corporal was very frustrated with my progress / state, as I was immensely fit - as most of us were - and the only stress he could gather in my 'flippen' efforts, was some sweat. I enjoyed the photos of the Hilda posted by someone. Hope to see more of those.
Thanks

PostPosted: 07 May 2018, 16:23 
Site Admin

Welcome Hilda@20, thanks for the memories.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2020, 07:19 

Hi all,
I missed out on the 250 ADAG days, but was with 120 Squadron at Snake Valley from 95-97. There were only a handful of us by that point.
Anyone else here from that time? I would love to see any pics, if they exist, as I don't have any.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8